Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 03:36 PM

9,900 posts, read 14,225,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post

I've been to urgent care places before and don't really like them; never saw a doctor, at best it was a PA, and the nurses or nurse assistants didn't seem to have much knowledge.
On a related, but separate note....you shouldn't necessarily trust the "title". Although not in the medical industry, my life is somehow surrounded by thise who are. I would trust some of the NPs and PAs I know much more than some of the MDs I know.

If they appear like they don't know what they are talking about, they probably don't. But don't trust (or not trust) based on a title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 04:31 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,914,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
Ha. Thanks for all the responses. I'm not in need of care, I just threw out a hypothetical situation.

I've been to urgent care places before and don't really like them; never saw a doctor, at best it was a PA, and the nurses or nurse assistants didn't seem to have much knowledge.

if you go to any Urgent Care that does not say "INOVA", then you are either in a crappy pharmacy chain or with a doctor who got his degree overseas who really only does Immigration Exams properly

I had a Gushing Wound from chopping my finger, (missed the chicken) and the Inova Urgent Care center in Merrifield is great! My concern was Inova can ICM codes their Urgent Care sites as "Ambulatory" [ie charges you like you went to an emergency room] but I was pleasantly surprised that Inova Urgent Care only charged me a copay.

I do not have an INOVA Urgent Care here in Herndon or Reston which makes me unhappy but my new Doctor has excellent extended hours..

Old 12-21-2016, 05:38 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,777,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
On a related, but separate note....you shouldn't necessarily trust the "title". Although not in the medical industry, my life is somehow surrounded by thise who are. I would trust some of the NPs and PAs I know much more than some of the MDs I know.

If they appear like they don't know what they are talking about, they probably don't. But don't trust (or not trust) based on a title.
Agreed. Just speaking from experience... the PAs I've encountered have always been subpar. One especially, who could probably serve as peronal prescription pad if i so desired. And honestly I've encountered better trained and more knowledgeable nurses (outside urgent cares). But obviously im sure there are stellar PAs out there.

Old 12-22-2016, 07:53 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,263,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I do not have an INOVA Urgent Care here in Herndon or Reston which makes me unhappy but my new Doctor has excellent extended hours..
INOVA does have a stand alone emergency room in Reston. Be careful it kind of looks like it is an urgent care, but it is an emergency room. Fought with my insurance company a few years ago when my husband went there thinking it was urgent care.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/In....3568538?hl=en

Old 12-22-2016, 08:18 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,914,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
INOVA does have a stand alone emergency room in Reston. Be careful it kind of looks like it is an urgent care, but it is an emergency room. Fought with my insurance company a few years ago when my husband went there thinking it was urgent care.

[url]https://www.google.com/maps/place/Inova:+Emergency+Room/@38.9654599,-77.3590425,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89b637e0be332fb7:0x50769 888f7d2cc7b!8m2!3d38.9654599!4d-77.3568538?hl=en[/url]

I am hopeful Inova will covert it into an Urgent Care. Its ridiculous that they don't have these new Urgent Cares setups in Reston-its the perfect place for them. The one in Merrifield is sleek and clean with modern design in addition to the great care I got from the nurses and the Dr. Thats very Reston!

Old 12-23-2016, 07:50 AM

790 posts, read 1,886,016 times
INOVA FAIRFAX -- hands down

An old friend (with a son and daughter-in-law working as Fairfax Firefighters) said they both told her to always go to Inova Fairfax. And I agree!

Old 12-23-2016, 08:55 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,639,489 times
In an ER, you'll be seen by nurses and evaluated first. Then you're sent to the waiting room where you wait in line before you're seen by a nurse practitioner or a doctor.

I would go to an urgent care for a wound that just needs bleeding stopped and to be stitched or bandaged.

There is an Inova urgent care in the middle of Vienna. It is usually packed. On a busy day, the waiting can take 1 or 2 hours before you're seen. You generally won't get out in less than 3 or 4 hours there, much like the ER's.

There is usually one doctor on duty at the urgent care facilities.

I would check with your insurance provider's web site. We don't pay anything if we go to PatientFirst or the urgent care room at our general practitioner (Fairfax Family Practice).

Old 01-10-2017, 06:32 PM

37 posts, read 77,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post

https://www.google.com/maps/place/In....3568538?hl=en
I've wondered, is it better to go there or to t he very close-by Reston Hospital? It seems redundant to have 2 ER's a few blocks apart. Is one better? Is one cheaper than the other?

Old 01-11-2017, 09:59 AM

2,092 posts, read 4,263,648 times
I don't know the difference between the two. I have gone to Reston ER once and got VERY FAST service. Yes I think it is strange to have to ERs just a few blocks apart, but they are operated by different entities. I don't know about the cost as that would be dictated by insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia