Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 07:38 PM

10 posts, read 12,461 times

Advertisements

I have been in Alexandria VA for sometime now. I currently holding NY license/registration/insurance and tags, and car was purchased in NY 3 years ago and is paid off.

I am starting to get a VA license and tags, and it would be my first time ever to switch/title/register a car other than in NY

On the dmv site, it says before I can register an out of state car/getting license-tags, I have to retitle my car in VA. How does that work? Do they take my original title and re-issue an VA title, how would that affect the resale of the car. Can you register the car/tags without the re-title process, or without getting a VA driver license? (I am noob, please don't be mad)

Also on the form for the title application vsa17a , the ACQUISITION TYPE, which one should I fill out, none of them seems to apply to me. And PROPERTY TAX RELIEF ELIGIBILITY, I answered no to all, it is for personal use only. Does that mean I don't have to pay for the VA/local car use tax? If I am required to pay the car use tax, are this car tax deductible at the end of year tax filing? . $1400 is a big chunk of money to pay each year!!

On the form vsa14, Registration Type: which one should I check? private or original ?

Can they find out if I get license/register my car considerably more than 30 days of establishing residency?
So my step would be.

1. getting a VA license
2. have the car inspected in VA
3. insure the car for operating in VA, and cancel the insurance for the NY (or do I keep it until everything is completed?)
4. retitle the car
5. registration/license plate
6. register it with local alexandria county
7. all said and done, turn in my old plate/registration to NY dmv

Thank you.

Last edited by yzc717; 01-08-2017 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 08:52 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzc717 View Post
IDoes that mean I don't have to pay for the VA/local car use tax? If I am required to pay the car use tax, are this car tax deductible at the end of year tax filing? . $1400 is a big chunk of money to pay each year!!

Can they find out if I get license/register my car considerably more than 30 days of establishing residency?
You definitely have to pay the car tax and yes it's deductible if you itemize. I would take a trip down to the DMV and they will give you the forms/advice you need to get your car and license switched over....this isn't the how do I fill out my DMV paperwork FAQ forum.

Pick a day within the last thirty for your move to VA date.

Old 01-08-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
You definitely have to pay the car tax and yes it's deductible if you itemize. I would take a trip down to the DMV and they will give you the forms/advice you need to get your car and license switched over....this isn't the how do I fill out my DMV paperwork FAQ forum.

Pick a day within the last thirty for your move to VA date.
I just noticed that the car's title is in my parents'name, the registration in new York is in my name and my parents.

What's my options here other than transferring title or buy from them. Seems like I can not even register it in VA without having the title thing sorted.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:35 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,364,994 times
Quote:
I just noticed that the car's title is in my parents'name, the registration in new York is in my name and my parents.

What's my options here other than transferring title or buy from them. Seems like I can not even register it in VA without having the title thing sorted.
We had this issue when we were living in PWC. My wife's car was actually her parents' and it was titled in their name. PWC had us register it here using our address and name.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:48 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,145,186 times
Quote:

You'll need some type of ownership transfer from them to you = bill of sale.

From your original post, cars are expensive. You have the annual maintenance costs, insurance costs, state registration cost, state inspection fee, emissions test ( now at $32), county property tax, parking fees, fuel costs, HOV fees, and XM radio.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
You'll need some type of ownership transfer from them to you = bill of sale.
Is it possible in VA to do away with title thing and still get registered? As it creates a second owner on the vehicle history that affects the resale. I don't mind paying the car tax as it is certainly cheaper with just the insurance changes.

Might need to take a trip to dmv to find out. don't seems likely.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:19 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,919,643 times
Quote:
Is it possible in VA to do away with title thing and still get registered? As it creates a second owner on the vehicle history that affects the resale. I don't mind paying the car tax as it is certainly cheaper with just the insurance changes.

Might need to take a trip to dmv to find out. don't seems likely.
Not possible as far as I know. If it's registered to your parents in NY, leave it that way until they sign it over to you. You would still need to register with County or city for car tax because it is garaged here, but then they would expect you to title it here too. Either have them sign the title over to you or just leave it as is for no until you get caught.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If it's registered to your parents in NY.

My name is also on the registration sticker in NY since my mom and I co-finance the car, since she was the main financier, the title is in her name. the insurance is my name only.

Quote:
until you get caught
It is used to/from work, parked in a gated apartment lot. I do take trips to ny frequently. Will people report me just for the fun of it?

Old 01-09-2017, 01:34 PM

239 posts, read 282,684 times
The title is in your mom's name, and you're on the registration.
You're already overdue on registering your car in VA (there is nowhere on the VA DMV form that says when you entered the state, as opposed to California where they penalize you for not registering within 60 days, and as long as you have a valid registration and title and license, no cop is going to fine you). You will get caught if you are pulled over with an invalid registration (because something happened at home and you didn't get the renewal notice). On the other hand the city of Alexandria asks you to 'declare' when you moved the vehicle into the city. (More about that later).

[1] Settle the title issue. When (not if) you retitle the car in VA you're going to have a few problems since you're not on the title! I would 'buy' the car from your mother to get a free and clear (no liens) signed NY title with the "proper" sale price (don't think you can put $1 or $0, Virginia has their way of estimating the values of cars, so it doesn't really matter). (see https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#titling.asp, regarding out of state vehicles). This value is used to determine the Sales and Use tax you will pay (as if you purchased the vehicle)

[2] Get a VA car safety inspection done.

[3] Also get an emission inspection done at the same time.

[4] Go the DMV with your out of state/free and clear/signed title with bill of sale (the back of it), your safety inspection, your emissions inspection, your proof of address (license is fine), and some money. You will pay the sales and use tax at this time and all titling/registration fees. You will get a temp tag (your plate and stickers will be mailed to you).

The VA DMV will tell Fairfax county that you've registered in their county, they will send a personal property tax statement to you in the mail.

[6] Go to the city of alexandria and pay their personal property tax and decal fee (you get the decal from them). On their form you have to 'declare' when the vehicle entered the city. "Any person who fails to register for personal property tax within 120 days is subject to a late filing penalty. The penalty is five percent (5%) of the tax due or $10 (whichever is greater), not to exceed the original tax amount due." (https://www.alexandriava.gov/CarTax#billing_and_payment)

Titling the car in your name is going to trigger some very expensive sales and use taxes (6% of the assessed value). This is certainly deductible from your federal income taxes (most taxes that are assessed on a value are). I highly doubt they'll let you register without a title in your name.

Property tax vs sales and use tax.

Property taxes are levied every year by Fairfax County and the City of Alexandria.

Sales and Use taxes are levied by the state of Virginia and collected only once, when you title the car in your name (if your name is not on the out of state title unless you can show you paid the sales and use tax to another state within the past 12 months).

Last edited by blindside; 01-09-2017 at 01:42 PM..

Old 01-09-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindside View Post
The title is in your mom's name, and you're on the registration.
You're already overdue on registering your car in VA (there is nowhere on the VA DMV form that says when you entered the state, as opposed to California where they penalize you for not registering within 60 days, and as long as you have a valid registration and title and license, no cop is going to fine you). You will get caught if you are pulled over with an invalid registration (because something happened at home and you didn't get the renewal notice). On the other hand the city of Alexandria asks you to 'declare' when you moved the vehicle into the city. (More about that later).

[1] Settle the title issue. When (not if) you retitle the car in VA you're going to have a few problems since you're not on the title! I would 'buy' the car from your mother to get a free and clear (no liens) signed NY title with the "proper" sale price (don't think you can put $1 or $0, Virginia has their way of estimating the values of cars, so it doesn't really matter). (see https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#titling.asp, regarding out of state vehicles). This value is used to determine the Sales and Use tax you will pay (as if you purchased the vehicle)

[2] Get a VA car safety inspection done.

[3] Also get an emission inspection done at the same time.

[4] Go the DMV with your out of state/free and clear/signed title with bill of sale (the back of it), your safety inspection, your emissions inspection, your proof of address (license is fine), and some money. You will pay the sales and use tax at this time and all titling/registration fees. You will get a temp tag (your plate and stickers will be mailed to you).

The VA DMV will tell Fairfax county that you've registered in their county, they will send a personal property tax statement to you in the mail.

[6] Go to the city of alexandria and pay their personal property tax and decal fee (you get the decal from them). On their form you have to 'declare' when the vehicle entered the city. "Any person who fails to register for personal property tax within 120 days is subject to a late filing penalty. The penalty is five percent (5%) of the tax due or $10 (whichever is greater), not to exceed the original tax amount due." (https://www.alexandriava.gov/CarTax#billing_and_payment)

Titling the car in your name is going to trigger some very expensive sales and use taxes (6% of the assessed value). This is certainly deductible from your federal income taxes (most taxes that are assessed on a value are). I highly doubt they'll let you register without a title in your name.

Property tax vs sales and use tax.

Property taxes are levied every year by Fairfax County and the City of Alexandria.

Sales and Use taxes are levied by the state of Virginia and collected only once, when you title the car in your name (if your name is not on the out of state title unless you can show you paid the sales and use tax to another state within the past 12 months).
Thank you. Helps a lot. Driving isn't cheap in VA. Now it is the sales tax that I am worry about when dealing with the title thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia