Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2017, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 5,042 times

Advertisements

I'm considering taking a really good job in Mclean. There are also some days available for working remotely. It is not possible for me to relocate so to take the job I would be committed to long commutes.

I'm trying to determine the best options on how to travel from Richmond to Mclean. I don't have a vehicle that is worthy of driving back and forth the entire distance.

I'm looking at options that would get me to Mclean prior to 9:30am

question 1) Where is the best place to locate carpool offers?

If you tackle any of the following questions please let me know details about connections. Because I am not currently knowledgeable about the different stations or lines.
Question 2) has anyone worked out a good process from leaving from Richmond (RVR) via Train then taking connections or busses to get to Mclean?
Question 3) has anyone worked out a good process from leaving from Richmond via bus? ALSO--How often are busses stuck in traffic and late?

Going to 8200 Jones Branch Dr, McLean, VA 22102

Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 05:58 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,429,211 times
Public transportation between the two places does not exist in the sense of an every day trip. A quick check shows four hours as you have to go through Union Station via train or bus.

You also are not going to find a slug line going to Tyson's much further south than Woodbridge.... realistically if you can make it to Woodbridge you can make it to Tyson's (still a two hour drive).

To summarize, impossible without a car and with a car only slightly less nuts. Unless you are talking a $50K raise or something no way commuting four extra hours a day is worth working at Freddie Mac.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:14 PM

6,567 posts, read 8,413,334 times
Richmond to McLean will be hellacious on a daily basis. Is it possible you could rent a room or basement apartment and stay there Monday-Thursday nights?

Old 02-09-2017, 07:38 PM

3 posts, read 5,042 times
The pay is good and would be worth the extra 25 to 30 hours of travel. Staying won't be my 1st choice and I would imagine very expensive.

I found one option of
Richmond Main Street Amtrak Northeast Regional 2hrs25 minutes
Then connect to King Street Station
Then connect to Rosslyn Station
Then catch a bus to Spring Hill Metro Then get off at Jones Branch @ Park Run.

Its definitely not a great situation, but it would avoid hours of being stuck in traffic. Which I have done before and it exceeded a 4 hour commute.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:16 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,429,211 times
Amtrak is horribly unreliable for every day use. Your train to DC is only on time 60% of the time the last 12 months (check the Amtrak website). Then you are relying on the DC metro which could actually be more unreliable than Amtrak. You are right about changing at King St.

Your Amtrak is $60 round trip plus metro/bus fare. The extended stay in Tyson's is $80 a night and you save four hours of commuting. So let me back track a bit and say if you could make one trip up to DC a week, work and stay in Tyson's for however many days in a row, then telecommute the rest of the week, it might not be terrible.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:02 AM

3,257 posts, read 2,346,894 times
Do NOT DO IT! I-95 is so backed up almost daily. It could easily take you 3 or 4 hours each way to get to from Richmond to McLean. In the summer on a Monday, Thursday, and Friday it could be much worse. Just DON'T DO IT!

Old 02-10-2017, 04:07 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,130,031 times
I really wonder about such a post. The OP should think about what he is asking before posting.

Old 02-10-2017, 05:37 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,264,283 times
Lots of people commute from Richmond to the D.C. Area. They usually don't do it daily. Is there any options to do more remote work?

Old 02-10-2017, 05:55 AM

147 posts, read 350,473 times
I knew someone who did this exact same commute. He was in a van pool that dropped him off at the office. He did it for several years.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:10 AM

540 posts, read 791,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_VA View Post
I knew someone who did this exact same commute. He was in a van pool that dropped him off at the office. He did it for several years.
I think that this is the only realistic way to do it. Despite what seems crazy to some of us, I bet there are actually a fair amount of people that do Richmond to Tysons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia