Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:56 AM

25,689 posts, read 17,457,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I'm watching my friends tiny older dog(7lbs) for the week and when u was going back into her bldg an owner had her 2 dogs loose and they went after the dog and when I grabbed the dog in my arms the dogs are still growling and jumping on me--I was yelling at the dingbat girl to get her dogs and she took her time and did not get them quick enough. She made excuses but she was completely negligent in handling her dogs. I called the management co. And am waiting to hear back from them.

I still have to walk the dog for 3 more days and I am worried for nine and the my friends dog safety. Would appreciate any suggestions.
I never walk my dog - or even go for a walk - without dog spray. Our neighborhood has very few loose dogs, but there are a couple I would worry about. I just clip in on when I leave the house.
I have never had to use it.

Here's what I carry:
https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Dog-Spr.../dp/B00WYQ7HYA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 11:01 AM

948 posts, read 3,363,581 times
Default Some concerns with sprays

On windy days like today and yesterday I think I'd end up with the spray in my face. Someone just told me about taser/flashlight combo. I'm looking into those on amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I never walk my dog - or even go for a walk - without dog spray. Our neighborhood has very few loose dogs, but there are a couple I would worry about. I just clip in on when I leave the house.
I have never had to use it.

Here's what I carry:
https://www.amazon.com/SABRE-Dog-Spr.../dp/B00WYQ7HYA

Old 03-02-2017, 11:20 AM

179 posts, read 300,040 times
You give the dogs a swift kick in the snout or punch them.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:29 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,290,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I suggested bug spray or mace (pepper spray) then talking to someone, they suggested spray paint. Idk if that could possibly hurt the dog but it would make identification easier.
Bug spray? Are you serious? Mace and pepper spray are 2 different things. I actually tested/exposed many police K9's to pepper spray, also called OC for Oleresin Capsicum, and for the most part OC does not work well on a hard driven dog. What works is the spray hitting them in the face and or the noise. Dogs can show a little bit of irritation to the OC but nothing like we do. It's certainly better than nothing though.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
On windy days like today and yesterday I think I'd end up with the spray in my face. Someone just told me about taser/flashlight combo. I'm looking into those on amazon.
Yes, make sure you get the stream kind only. Nothing that creates clouds of mist for just the reason stated.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:24 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,483,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Bug spray? Are you serious? Mace and pepper spray are 2 different things. I actually tested/exposed many police K9's to pepper spray, also called OC for Oleresin Capsicum, and for the most part OC does not work well on a hard driven dog. What works is the spray hitting them in the face and or the noise. Dogs can show a little bit of irritation to the OC but nothing like we do. It's certainly better than nothing though.

Yes, if I'm being attacked by a vicious dog, especially a large pit/rott/shepherd type, I would spray it. I've heard it suggested other places for dogs or potential rapists. People need to be responsible for their dogs. Would you rather I shot it with my 9mm?

You know there are many, many stories of people being viciously attacked, mauled and some killed by dogs, especially multiple dogs.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:59 PM

790 posts, read 1,885,298 times
This was in a Building....right? Make sure you contact Management about this.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Yes, if I'm being attacked by a vicious dog, especially a large pit/rott/shepherd type, I would spray it. I've heard it suggested other places for dogs or potential rapists. People need to be responsible for their dogs. Would you rather I shot it with my 9mm?

You know there are many, many stories of people being viciously attacked, mauled and some killed by dogs, especially multiple dogs.
Being attacked is one thing. The OP wasn't being attacked. The dogs sounded as if they wanted to possibly play with her dogs or possibly they were showing some aggression. But this aggression apparently wasn't enough to cause any damage or injuries. So using bug spray would be inappropriate.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:15 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,016,391 times
Authorities won't do anything if they didn't see it themselves. Get a photo or video.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:38 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,483,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Being attacked is one thing. The OP wasn't being attacked. The dogs sounded as if they wanted to possibly play with her dogs or possibly they were showing some aggression. But this aggression apparently wasn't enough to cause any damage or injuries. So using bug spray would be inappropriate.

She said they were acting aggressively -- growling and jumping on her. I agree I would not spray until an attempted bite but I'm not waiting around to be attacked or have my dog attacked. And, again, I think it depends on the size/breed of the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia