Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 11:57 AM

952 posts, read 2,636,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
If the OP is still around, St. John the Beloved in McLean has a cry room.
thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 12:20 PM

952 posts, read 2,636,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
My pleasure. One quick thing about both baby rooms, you will need to leave the room and line up for communion on your own. The ushers don't line you up for it like the main room of either church.
how far out can I live if i choose to attend St Louis. max 10 miles?

Old 05-17-2017, 01:20 PM

9,881 posts, read 14,147,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post

Here is the boundary map for the Diocese of Arlington.

Parish Boundaries

Old 05-17-2017, 02:40 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,927,093 times
But don't worry about the boundaries. You are completely free to attend any parish you like, even if you cannot or choose not to be a registered member. Your children won't need the cry room forever.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:17 AM

7 posts, read 6,180 times
St. Raymond's in Springfield has a cry room with its own bathroom! It's a newer but beautiful/traditional church (aka not built in the 60s) with lots of big families (many of them home-school). Beautiful liturgy.

Nativity in Burke also has a cry room, but it's in the way back and harder to see/hear. It's also a different kind of Parish atmosphere than St. Raymond's. Nothing bad. Both have their pluses and minuses.

In many other churches in that area (St. Bernadette's in Springfield, Holy Spirit in Annandale, St. Mary of Sorrows in Fairfax) the vestibules (lobbies) serve as cry rooms. Not ideal.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:08 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,291,262 times
Quote:
But don't worry about the boundaries. You are completely free to attend any parish you like, even if you cannot or choose not to be a registered member. Your children won't need the cry room forever.
Unless you want them baptized. Or First Communion. Or discounts on preschool.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:56 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,898,155 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Unless you want them baptized. Or First Communion. Or discounts on preschool.
She Clairemarie) doesn't live on the East Coast so just ignore her....

I wish the admins would enable the location button so that it auto fills your location. Then everyone would know if you live here or lived here years ago but are just bored and opining

Old 05-19-2017, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
While I live in Good Shepherd Catholic Church territory, we had very little trouble joining St. Louis Catholic Church several years ago. We wrote the Pastor at St. Louis a letter and were granted permission. We've been parishioners for over 8 years now. Both Good Shepherd and St. Louis share a Knights of Columbus Hall, located on Route 1, a little closer to the Good Shepherd end. Over the years we've met families that came as far as Bulling Air Force Base, which is across the river to attend St. Louis.
Yes, there's a cry room, but I personally avoid it as a last resort, as it's a bit small and the kids tend to think it's a play area. The one negative for St. Louis is there's only one bathroom in the church, and it's the bane of every parent's (with a young toilet training aged child) existence. I wish they'd turn the cry room into a second bathroom.

Folks around here definitely parish shop, and will attend where they feel most at home. I've met fellow Catholics from my neighborhood who drove over 15 miles every week (and holy days of obligation) to attend their favorite masses. There's no card checking door bouncer. One family I know is a St. Mary's Parishioner, but attends St. Louis. Occasionally, we attend Good Shepherd (which has newly renovated bathrooms...with lots of stalls... better than a cry room). However, Good Shepherd isn't our cup of tea and the "in the round" seating configuration was more distracting for our little folks. Folks who like Traditional Latin Mass often gravitate over to St. Lawrence, while folks that live just down the road from St. Lawrence drive all the way over to St. Louis. I think the boundaries must be very strangely drawn. I don't recall if St. Lawrence had a cry room or not.

Anyhow, welcome to the area, and I hope you find everything well when you arrive.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 PM

2 posts, read 1,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6513OCC View Post
St. Raymond's in Springfield has a cry room with its own bathroom! It's a newer but beautiful/traditional church (aka not built in the 60s) with lots of big families (many of them home-school). Beautiful liturgy.

Nativity in Burke also has a cry room, but it's in the way back and harder to see/hear. It's also a different kind of Parish atmosphere than St. Raymond's. Nothing bad. Both have their pluses and minuses.

In many other churches in that area (St. Bernadette's in Springfield, Holy Spirit in Annandale, St. Mary of Sorrows in Fairfax) the vestibules (lobbies) serve as cry rooms. Not ideal.
I've been very St. Raymond's curious! I keep meeting homeschoolers from there. St. Rita's (in Del Ray area) also has a thriving homeschool community. Sadly, the group at St. Louis has gone a little dormant. Good Shepherd's group is also bursting at the seams.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:15 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,898,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angoraknitter View Post
I've been very St. Raymond's curious! I keep meeting homeschoolers from there. St. Rita's (in Del Ray area) also has a thriving homeschool community. Sadly, the group at St. Louis has gone a little dormant. Good Shepherd's group is also bursting at the seams.
Although he is assigned to St John the Beloved, Fr Paul Scalia has confessional hours at St Rays's

St Rays' also has a priest who serves as Chaplin to the nearby Angelus Academy

Plus they have active Trail USA and American Heritage girls

Very solid

Pretty Church
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia