Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 11:42 AM

952 posts, read 2,641,487 times

Advertisements

Any catholic churches in NoVA with baby rooms? or are parents with young ones, forced to sit at the back of the church by the exit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 04:49 PM

20,241 posts, read 9,162,788 times
pick up a phone and call them

Old 04-24-2017, 05:19 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,911,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
Any catholic churches in NoVA with baby rooms? or are parents with young ones, forced to sit at the back of the church by the exit?
The Diocese of Arlington, one of the most conservative in the US, has many outreach programs for families. Usually, families will have their children and toddlers in the main church as we know childrens' mass attendance is as important as adults.There are cry rooms but I can't think of one Priest whodoes not encourage children in the main church

Here is the website for the diocese
[url]https://www.arlingtondiocese.org/[/url]

For over a decade, our Bishop serving us was the fabulous Bishop Emeritus Paul Loverde.

We have a new one, Bishop Michael Burbidge who has kept many of the standards introduced by his predecessor.

Please not that if you would like to register with a parish you MUST LIVE IN ITS Boundaries. In many cases if you move to a Parish and for whatever reason wish to join a parish outside your residential assignment, you will need to get a signed and dated letter from the pastor of the Parish whose boundaries you live in to join a diff one

There are few exceptions, such as [url=http://www.stpaulchung.org/]St. Paul Chung Korean Catholic Church - Home[/url] as they are catered to the Korean community.

Please call the Diocese with more questions.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:39 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,295,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
The Diocese of Arlington, one of the most conservative in the US, has many outreach programs for families. Usually, families will have their children and toddlers in the main church as we know childrens' mass attendance is as important as adults.There are cry rooms but I can't think of one Priest whodoes not encourage children in the main church

Here is the website for the diocese
https://www.arlingtondiocese.org/

For over a decade, our Bishop serving us was the fabulous Bishop Emeritus Paul Loverde.

We have a new one, Bishop Michael Burbidge who has kept many of the standards introduced by his predecessor.

Please not that if you would like to register with a parish you MUST LIVE IN ITS Boundaries. In many cases if you move to a Parish and for whatever reason wish to join a parish outside your residential assignment, you will need to get a signed and dated letter from the pastor of the Parish whose boundaries you live in to join a diff one

There are few exceptions, such as St. Paul Chung Korean Catholic Church - Home as they are catered to the Korean community.

Please call the Diocese with more questions.
A great post.

Children are encouraged to be within the larger congregation. I've never gone to an area church with a cry room. I've also never had an issue with having kids within mass even if they aren't perfect(ly silent) babies or toddlers. I have heard two stories from friends 1) where the priest complained about loud snacks during liturgy, 2) a mother of five told by the priest not to come back with the kids. Personally, I haven't found this to be the case though.

I will second the bit about being within the boundaries of the parish. You have to have a really good reason to try for another parish. Is there a parish/area you were particularly interested in?

Old 04-26-2017, 10:45 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,324,210 times
St. John Neumann in Reston has a cry room. It is glass walled, open to the sanctuary. There is a door in the rear that leads to the nursery, which has a family-friendly large bathroom with changing table.

We did NOT have to get any kind of letter to register with St. John Neumann in Reston (we live in St. Theresa's boundaries; many people here go to SJN or elsewhere). SJN is staffed by the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales instead of by Diocesan priests. The other parishes in the Diocese like this are: Christ the Redeemer in Sterling; St. Joseph in Herndon (Franciscan Friars); Our Lady of Good Counsel in Vienna (Oblates of St. Francis de Sales); Our Lady Queen of Peace in Arlington (Holy Ghost Fathers). There may be others but those are the ones I am familiar with. They tend to be more liberal than the parishes staffed by Diocesan priests.

St. Joseph's in Herndon used to have a cry room similar to SJN's, but I haven't been there in over 10 years so I don't know if they still do. I do not remember seeing one at Christ the Redeemer.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:49 AM

4,902 posts, read 7,483,116 times
I never knew you had to live in geographic boundaries for Catholic Churches. Is that true all over the country or unique to DC area? Why do they require this?

Old 04-26-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post

St. Joseph's in Herndon used to have a cry room similar to SJN's, but I haven't been there in over 10 years so I don't know if they still do. I do not remember seeing one at Christ the Redeemer.
I am a parishioner at St Joes.

It is not diocesan but here at the invitation of the Bishop, and like any diocesan parish, I had to prove my residency to join the parish

Being from liberal nutty SoCal, I was quite shocked about many of the norms in Arlington. I love it here.

I suggest you call the diocese and let them explain it to you.

St John Neumann, otoh, falls into the category of the few not req'ing letters that I pointed out in my original post

As for the cry room,
At English masses the cry room at my parish is mostly elderly ladies. idk
we have many large families who regularly sit in the main church with crying toddlers/babies

This is normal here

Old 04-26-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I never knew you had to live in geographic boundaries for Catholic Churches. Is that true all over the country or unique to DC area? Why do they require this?
As per Code of Canon Law (go look it up) the entire world, including Antarctica, is divided into Metropolitan and ecclesiastical provinces. It doesn't matter if you are in Arlington or Cote d'lvorie. The Catholic Church is like the Vatican spread out over the whole world with its own states and governances laying on top of political boundaries yet not always respectful of the boundaries. Thats how our diocese consists of diff. counties yet not the whole Commonwealth

Old 04-26-2017, 03:11 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,483,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
As per Code of Canon Law (go look it up) the entire world, including Antarctica, is divided into Metropolitan and ecclesiastical provinces. It doesn't matter if you are in Arlington or Cote d'lvorie. The Catholic Church is like the Vatican spread out over the whole world with its own states and governances laying on top of political boundaries yet not always respectful of the boundaries. Thats how our diocese consists of diff. counties yet not the whole Commonwealth

I'm not Catholic. Thanks for explaining.

Old 04-26-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I'm not Catholic. Thanks for explaining.

A great source of Catholic info is Catholic Answers at catholic.com

I've seen people in their forums (same software as here) ask about Catholic family life here in the dmv
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia