Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 07:40 AM

761 posts, read 608,037 times

Advertisements

Can you name the prettiest shore areas to visit that has a busy,
but small-ish and picturesque downtown.. a town that is the quintessential summery town
you can embrace in your mind for months later.
I have never been.

I have heard about Cape Charles and KIlmarnock..

can anyone compare them for me?

or select a town or two to compare..

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 08:42 AM

529 posts, read 753,623 times
I have heard good reviews on Chincoteague Island and Wallops Island.
But never been there, planning to go there this summer.

I am curious to know answer to your question from other members...

Old 05-03-2017, 08:51 AM

6,588 posts, read 8,462,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Can you name the prettiest shore areas to visit that has a busy,
but small-ish and picturesque downtown.. a town that is the quintessential summery town
you can embrace in your mind for months later.
I have never been.
I've never been but from what I've researched - Cape May, NJ comes to mind. And I feel like most Northern Virginians flock to the Maryland and Delaware beaches - So Ocean City, Rehobeth, Bethany. Again, I've never been as I prefer to head south for the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post

I have heard about Cape Charles and KIlmarnock..

can anyone compare them for me?
I went to Cape Charles once, and it was in the off-season. It's quaint and tiny but I don't know if it's busy (again, I went in the off-season). There is a lovely bed & breakfast located there that I can highly recommend, if you're interested.

With that being said, this question might be better answered in the Hampton Roads sub-forum.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:40 AM

Hokie fan,

I have placed a somewhat similar thread there too..
THere seem to be areas well north of VA beach, that are hidden gems.
I'm trying to dig through to find them.

I've read some nice things about Cape Charles and it was featured in a magazine which kept me attuned to it possibilities.

I'm looking for a town that has that visual hook to base a short story on.

Rehoboth, and Cape May are great spots! A bit too busy for the tone I'm after.

If you plan on going to Rehoboth, make sure you drive in the wee hours to arrive by 7 am, or you'll soon learn what a traffic jam in New York City is like.. just agonizing.. there's sooooo much traffic!

Old 05-03-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvVA View Post
I have heard good reviews on Chincoteague Island and Wallops Island.
But never been there, planning to go there this summer.

I am curious to know answer to your question from other members...

It does sound quite irresistable. I think it might qualify for a bucket list destination.

My kids were there last summer, camping I think..
LOTS of MISQUITOS go while its still chilly out. (wink)

Old 05-03-2017, 10:10 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,213,577 times
Annapolis?

Old 05-03-2017, 11:10 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,742,888 times
Lewes, Delaware is very quaint. You can catch the Ferry to Cape May there.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:05 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,639,121 times
Never been to Cape Charles but Kilmarnock is a nice, albeit very small town- My girlfriend and I drove through during a stay at the Tides Inn (highly recommend for a nice weekend away!) over in nearby Irvington. We ended up spending a lot of our time on the hotel grounds- but took a Saturday and went exploring. I noticed that a lot of towns on the Northern Neck and Middle Peninsula, while quaint only have about 1,000 residents so the main street is usually only a couple blocks long- they are nice but you probably aren't going to be spending your entire day in just one town. Kilmarnock, Irvington and Urbanna are all fairly close to one another so it is very easy to spend a day driving through the area and stopping at whatever interests you along the way- we personally liked Urbanna the best, but that is just personal opinion. Here is a helpful link guide to some places throughout the River Country.

Virginia's River Realm

Old 05-03-2017, 01:20 PM

153 posts, read 174,482 times
Based on the OP's parameters, St. Michaels, MD, comes to mind.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:24 PM

45 posts, read 49,328 times
Going to Chincoteague for the 5th time this summer. So yes, we like it! Through the years we've rented cottages, motel rooms, and houses. No such thing as beach front property, as the beach is located on nearby Assateague Island. Bare bones beach: lifeguards, toilets, showers, and nothing else. This year we are staying for the first time in a home that faces toward the mainland. Cannot wait for the wonderful sunsets.

Just don't go during Pony Swim Week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia