Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 08:12 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,332 times

Advertisements

Yeah I don't really understand the cookie cutter thing. Isn't everywhere basically 'cookie cutter'? Where I live in Vienna all the houses are fairly similar. My neighborhood has like 4 or 5 different models when they were building back in 1970. Some are colonials, some are split levels, some are split foyers. But there's really only like 5 or so different models. I guess the difference is since the neighborhood has been around for 45 years people have done minors additions and modifications over the years but still the housing stock all looks similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 09:08 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,777 times
You should look into the area of Herndon known as Oak Hill. Very green with tons of very mature trees, friendly neighbors, great schools and you can definitely find houses with good-sized yards for your budget. It's also an easy commute to Sterling from there.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:13 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
This is true. "Potomac Falls" is a type of geographic colloquialism, which I personally believe is intended to cleave the area from the rest of Sterling and associate it as a halo community of neighboring Great Falls. I too have heard people from that enclave refer to home as "Potomac Falls" or, in a few cases "Great Falls" and, when pressed, say "Well, next to/just outside of it."
I don't see the issue. What people call Potomac Falls is completely different from what people call Sterling Park. Both are officially Sterling, but they are so different from each other that it makes perfect sense to make a distinction.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:51 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Sterling or Sterling Park worked fine. About the same to e as they tried Potomac Falls, Fairfax Station mysteriously doubled in size, while Lorton was cut in half. Old Town Alexandria is going to extend to Kingstown if it keeps growing.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:25 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Potomac Falls, Sterling, Sterling Park are all fine. None of those are incorporated so they are all just names of a general area of Loudoun County. Why argue? There are no official boundaries.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:08 PM

250 posts, read 182,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
And lots of legal hair splitting Jews in Reston, too. But, if you are an "IT Guy" making six figures, who couldn't get a "B" in Algebra I, you probably are more concerned about deficit spending, as in hoping it will continue to increase, so you won't have to go to work as a Dominoe's management trainee, let alone a TSA Agent.
What the hell is wrong with you?

Old 06-12-2017, 12:32 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
Too much to list.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:41 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
OP---The perfect commute for both of you would be to look at housing off Rt. 606 (Old Ox Road) in between Herndon Parkway and Douglas Court. The problem---on the Loudoun County side, kids use the Park View Cluster schools. At one time, the schools there were good (our daughter went to schools in that cluster). However, in recent times, they've changed for the worse. This area is in the 20166 zip code that a previous poster mentioned.

This area will also be near a future Metro station (Innovation Avenue). We've seen a few tear downs happen in Sterling Park. Perhaps when the Metro station opens, more of that will happen and the Park View cluster schools will start to recover. Plus, IMO, property values will increase the closer the house is to the Metro station.

There are some townhouses on the Fairfax County side of 606 but you didn't want a townhouse.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:57 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post

Old 06-14-2017, 12:12 PM

26 posts, read 51,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I commuted from Cinco Ranch to Memorial every weekday for 8 years. I can't say that I agree that Houston and DC traffic is comparable. The sheer volume and density of traffic here and the inability to go 1.5 miles from your home without it taking 15 minutes is a phenomenon reserved for the DMV. I do think it's a little better out towards where you are looking to move rather than 66 corridor or 495/95.
Cinco Ranch commutes are vastly different than those in the Clear Lake/League City area where I live. I commuted from CL to Downtown and it took up to 2 hours to go 18 miles quite often. It can take 30-45 minutes for me to get to NASA and I live 7 miles from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia