Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:14 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,994,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Gregorio?
Likely a wino from a P.I.G.S. country....and I said 720 FICO; not 520. Next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 06:23 AM

12,926 posts, read 9,699,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Likely a wino from a P.I.G.S. country....and I said 720 FICO; not 520. Next.
Guliani

Old 06-13-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Guliani
A McGovern bumper sticker on his Chrysler...., might look at his third wife "Nathan," but he certain!y would not be allowed to display his porch monkey.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:27 AM

86 posts, read 108,510 times
Does anyone have any negative landlord stories? I have heard that VA rental laws favor the tenant more so than the landlord.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:42 AM

Renters bring their roaches with them. Renters not only run the AC five degrees cooler but refuse to change the filters. Renters only cook deep fried food. Renters always lose the pool and mailbox keys. Renters won't tell you the ceiling in the dining room is about to collapse because they are so careless in the upstairs baths. Renters will put 100 nail holes in the wall, for pictures of relatives you won!d think should not be publicized. Two quarts of dirty oil and a little more old Prestone on you reserved parking spaces. Teeth marks on the stair railings from some mystery pet or person. Smoke detectors always disabled, maybe missing completely. Missing a dozen bulbs. Modifications to the telecom wiring, even though you gave them a router with range all the way to the pool...food disposer is used to make aluminum mulch out of beer cans and will never be right.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:21 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,912,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
Renters bring their roaches with them. Renters not only run the AC five degrees cooler but refuse to change the filters. Renters only cook deep fried food. Renters always lose the pool and mailbox keys. Renters won't tell you the ceiling in the dining room is about to collapse because they are so careless in the upstairs baths. Renters will put 100 nail holes in the wall, for pictures of relatives you won!d think should not be publicized. Two quarts of dirty oil and a little more old Prestone on you reserved parking spaces. Teeth marks on the stair railings from some mystery pet or person. Smoke detectors always disabled, maybe missing completely. Missing a dozen bulbs. Modifications to the telecom wiring, even though you gave them a router with range all the way to the pool...food disposer is used to make aluminum mulch out of beer cans and will never be right.
Our forum's pet racist forgot to mention what color and ethnicity all renters are.
Also that they have more than 15 children.
And dogs, lots of dogs.

C'mon Hal- losing your game...

Old 06-14-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Our forum's pet racist forgot to mention what color and ethnicity all renters are.
Also that they have more than 15 children.
And dogs, lots of dogs.

C'mon Hal- losing your game...
It did occur to me, that I left out a big detail, but three years by a top university with < 1% Catholics has made me forget an important detail of TH life in Nova. The renters will always have large clusters of relatives, who are also renters on the same block, or at least in the same TH developments (oxymoron). They will spend the days and nights going back and forth to their relative's unit. Vans pull up, packs of kids get in or out...never, ever just one. There might be one adult working for World Bank, but the other thirty are in much more of a grey area. There is always a contingent of people you see every day and evening, but they never admit to living there, just visiting. The work vehicles multiply, until someone complains, then they thin out for a while. They know about occupancy of every unit, so they can get the most out of parking spaces that don't don't belong to them, and after all, Mr Roach only has one car and can simply knock on the offending unit's door, when he needs to claim the parking space deeded to him, that he only uses twice a month, but since we are all good (and poor) Catholics, we know the best time to share is when we have nothing. Look, Javier, the fourth oldest son just got a Honda Civic with a special exhaust.....isn't that girl he is making out with his "cousin"? Holy Shiite. I don't think the people from Yemen are going to appreciate that, if they are still there at the 6am prayer call, also held in the parking area. I was going to contact DHS about the Paki guy, turns out he works security at IAD and the suspicious stranger with the black bag is his friend WALAD, who is a doctor at Kaiser. At least they don't have a POS van...

Last edited by Hal Roach; 06-14-2017 at 08:17 PM..

Old 06-14-2017, 09:36 PM

22,545 posts, read 12,115,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germany2DC View Post
Does anyone have any negative landlord stories? I have heard that VA rental laws favor the tenant more so than the landlord.
In our limited experience, we found that the tenants either call about things that aren't problems or they ignore a problem. Sometimes, they attempt to make fixes when it would have been better to just call the management company.

We had 2 different tenants in the 3 years were were landlords. The first couple ended up bringing cockroaches into the house, so we had to pay for an exterminator. Then they called to complain the the HVAC system was on the fritz. Why? They thought it was making a strange noise. Never mind that we had it maintained about 2 months ago. So...we had to pay to get the HVAC people out there just to tell them that the system was fine. When we told our realtor, she called the tenants and basically educated them about HVAC systems and how to tell when there was a real problem.

The second tenant had been renting for several years another townhouse across the street from ours. When the first tenants decided not to renew the lease, the second tenant called the management company and pleaded with them to try to convince the first tenants to leave a month early which, surprisingly, they did agree to do. It seems that she had to move because her landlord wanted to sell the house. Sometime after she moved in, the range hood broke and we discovered that she used a baseball bat to hold it up. She could have called the management company about it and we wouldn't have minded. She closed off all the a/c vents on the first floor which makes the HVAC system work harder.

When we decided to try once again to sell the house, we gave her 3 months notice and gave her first crack at buying the house. She found another place, then begged us to let her stay a few days after her lease. We were on the second management company at the time. The woman who worked there asked if we could let her stay in the house. We said "no". Then she mentioned that the tenant had a heart condition and her new landlord wanted to fix up the place before she moved in. I told the woman that the tenant could stay in a hotel. Silence. Then another guilt trip. Some of these companies act like they work for the tenant, not the owner.

This time the house sold quickly. Three days on the market and we had 2 offers. We couldn't wait to get rid of it as we hated being landlords.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:06 PM

The stove exhaust....another filter never, ever cleaned by a renter. Never seen a renter that couldn't ruin an ice maker, also, but Thanks for the beautiful set of rosary beads you left behind. Also, a lot of veterans of the Iraq and Afghan wars...which side they were fighting for is less known, but yes, it is possible to remove and replace the transmission on a 1996 Taurus using shopping carts and drywall buckets for jack stands. Most of the spilled fluid actually made it into the storm drain...so no biggie...they repave every nine years, too. So it's not like it will be stained forever. Quite a few home businesses...four Herbal Life resellers, three Avon reps, two Amway distributors, and a crack dealer..the only one who hasn't approached me. Those Maryland plates with the chain !ink frames aren't real discrete.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:06 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,660,448 times
I own a townhome that I rent out to a family. The key is to just to pay on time and keep the house tidy, and usually no worries will come out of it.

But repairs (like the fridge going bad, etc) are on the landlord, but most around here will be happy to pay for any costs associated with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: