Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 05:48 PM

8,678 posts, read 22,978,293 times

Advertisements

We've had one hanging out in the neighborhood for over a week now. He must be desperate for food, he's coming out in broad daylight and approaching parked cars. Animal control won't come out unless they think he's a danger. And right now, he's not. There's still some woods left where the new condos went in near Le Hermitage. My biggest concern is some of these kids aren't use to seeing wild animals. I don't think we are unique, I was visiting my son outside Annapolis this past weekend and saw one there too........only he looked better fed and had something in it's mouth as is ran out in front of me. Please tell your bored kids not to try to pet the fox. Rabie shots are not fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 05:55 PM

16,439 posts, read 12,597,426 times
4 legged foxes? As opposed to the 3 legged variety?

Old 07-08-2017, 07:59 AM

Lol, try two. Last place I posted about the siting and left off "4 legged" I was asked if I knew their numbers. Just preventative wording.......

Old 07-08-2017, 07:17 PM

91 posts, read 111,795 times
When we were in Lake Ridge there was a fox who would wander around out in the open. It was really brave (or didn't care). Ditto for copperheads.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:48 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,358,001 times
I see foxes quite often here in W. Springfield. They are pretty common, aren't they?

Old 07-09-2017, 01:55 AM

22,537 posts, read 12,098,123 times
We have them here in Eastern LoCo. A few times they woke up my husband when they were barking. During the day time, occasionally one will come into our backyard and take a nap. We used to see rabbits frequently but no more. We wonder if the foxes ate them all.

I don't think you have to worry about kids petting them---unless the fox is rabid. Rabid animals might not run away when approached. The ones that aren't rabid, will run off if a human approaches them.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:56 AM

22,537 posts, read 12,098,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I see foxes quite often here in W. Springfield. They are pretty common, aren't they?
With the out of control growth this area has experienced, their habitat is shrinking on a daily basis.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:21 AM

I've lived in this area all my life, and most recently before Lakeridge, 30 years in Occoquan Forest, a heavily wooded subdivision. Never had a fox or bear over there, but I sure did come across copperheads when gardening. Get caught just one time to not being able to move by one of those suckers - that devil was coiled less than 4 or 5 feet from me. I was petrified to move and stayed still for almost an hour (probably closer to 20 minutes), waiting for someone to come help me. My teen son was the first to need something and immediately knew something was wrong by my face and eyes. Somehow, he understood I was telling him to stop and to look down, which he did. He got my ex, who came back with his gun de jour (.45, I believe). The snake was just too close and I didn't know how long I could hang on......having two boys with many pet snakes, this was not an action taken lightly. (Our favorite snake was a corn snake named Hillary). And then afterwards, I worried we would get in trouble for firing a weapon.

Another friend in Riverview caught a baby snake in the garage, not knowing what it was. He went to move the big glass jar he was in while cleaning the garage and the snake struck with such force, it pushed thru the screen top. He was bit on his hand. He cleaned it up and didn't give it another though until the next day when a red line started at his wrist and started moving up his arm. He was airlifted to Fairfax Hospital, the closest hospital with anti venom. That is how he learned baby snake bites are far more dangerous, the young have not learned to control their venom.

Other than the occasional groundhog and/or possum....oh that remind me of another story. So wild, hard to believe true. Guy was napping on couch in the Springwood's community (actually a former neighbor of the former PWC PD spokesperson). A groundhog decided to join him for a nap. He thought nothing of it, barely awake, thought it was their fat cat.......until his wife walked in and started screaming.

That's the extend of my wild animal stories in the neighborhood.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:05 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,040,382 times
We live in the Dunn Loring-Merrifield area, and we have foxes trotting through the yard on a continuing basis, especially in the Spring when there are kits at home to be fed. Unless you are a chipmunk, squirrel, or mourning dove, the foxes pose no threat at all.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:07 PM

947 posts, read 1,406,559 times
Speaking personally, I'm much more concerned about the two-legged vixens and cougars that migrate to Reston Town Center on Friday and Saturday evenings to prey upon helpless juvenile males.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia