Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 11:26 AM

147 posts, read 255,362 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I are trying to decide what is the best way to save for our newborn son's future college costs. We have opened up a VA 529 Plan to start saving. We have 18 years in front of us and want to make the best decision possible.

I want to hear from people who has had the experience of saving up and paying their kids college's costs. We are deciding between the 529 prepaid plan (buying semesters at today's prices) vs. 529 invest plan (like a 401k).

1) Were you better off prepaying the semester than putting money in the 529 invest plan and hoping the stock market will go up?

2) Was it a big disadvantage to prepaid but your child ended up going to a private college or out-of-state?

3) If you had to do over again, would you just put your own money into an investment account (outside of 529 plan) and letting it grow. This way you are not restrained by only spending funds on education eligible expenses?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

P.S. My wife and I are fortunate that we are able to max out our retirement savings and have an emergency fund in place. College savings will not take away funds what those two accounts.

Last edited by capitalhockey; 08-10-2017 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: changes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 12:33 PM

86 posts, read 108,422 times
We took a look at the VA Pre-Paid plan but it's extremely expensive. For our daughter (who's just starting Kindergarten this year), it would cost over $8k per semester or roughly $67k for four years at a University. We also have a younger son so multiply those numbers by two and that's what we'd have to pay. I doubt those amounts are "today's rates." The monthly payment plan is also ridiculously expensive (nearly $700 per month FOR ONE CHILD!) and when I calculated the number of months that I'd be paying, it's nearly $30k more overall than if paid up front (I guess you are charged interest or some kind of fees with the monthly payment option). We are doing the 529 plan which will probably not completely pay for our childrens' college but it will help a great deal when the time comes.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:09 PM

795 posts, read 1,014,833 times
We got into the pre paid plan when VA started to offer it many years ago.

The first two entered instate colleges in 2008 and 2010. We did the monthly plan (4 year university) when they were about 4 and 6yo. The total mo payment was around $325.00 combined for both. Ended up out of pocket about 20k and 22k each. Our last will enter instate college next fall. We did the lump sum payment (4 year university) when she was about 1 year old. It was $16,000. The first two 4 year tuition total was around 40k and 42k and last projected 45k. Bottom line we put in out 58k and got 127k in tuition.

It was a good deal for us I think especially for the last @ 16,000 for 4 years of tuition starting in fall 2018. We did out of pocket on the room and board part. And will do the same for the last child.
We would do it again. We liked the fact that it was guaranteed to pay future tuition costs.

Edit: I will say that we had a hard time making the $325.00 payment some months. And barely scraped the $16,000 together. Today's prices would be out of the question for us. We were not making that much money back then. Also saving for retirement at the same time.

Last edited by lovnova; 08-10-2017 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-10-2017, 05:15 PM

373 posts, read 872,393 times
We decided against the prepaid plan and have been doing the 529 plan. If I lived in MD, where their plan actually was pay today's rates for tomorrow, I would do the prepaid plan, but unfortunately that is not the case in VA. The prepaid plan is much more expensive than today's rates. You might come out a little ahead with the prepaid plan, but for me it is not worth the risk. If your child winds up in an out of state school, you move to a different state, etc., you only get the money you put in plus their reasonable rate of return, which is currently near 0.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:22 AM

56 posts, read 95,960 times
We are doing the 529 plan as well but not the pre-paid. The pre-paid guarantees in state tuition only. So if you kids decides to got out state you would pay the "current" rate. Additionally, with 529 you get a lot more flexibility. If you kid scores a scholarship you can use the 529 money for room/board/books etc.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:37 AM

540 posts, read 792,794 times
Also doing the "Invest" option. I'm not sure if it is the right move, but it feels like there is more flexibility.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:24 AM

795 posts, read 1,014,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddhan625 View Post
We are doing the 529 plan as well but not the pre-paid. The pre-paid guarantees in state tuition only. So if you kids decides to got out state you would pay the "current" rate. Additionally, with 529 you get a lot more flexibility. If you kid scores a scholarship you can use the 529 money for room/board/books etc.
Our thinking was that VA offers a wide selection of very good in-state schools for different academic levels. We told our children they can choose private or out of state but they would have to get student loans for the difference in tuition.
My son went to James Madison. He had a partial scholarship each semester for 4 years. Our guaranteed pre-paid (cost 20k got +40k in tuition) took care of tuition and the scholarship was applied to room and board.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:10 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,325,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalhockey View Post
Hi all,

P.S. My wife and I are fortunate that we are able to max out our retirement savings and have an emergency fund in place. College savings will not take away funds what those two accounts.
I'm glad that's the case. A lot of people are putting significant dollars into a 529 yet not maxing out their retirement, which is a big mistake. You can take out loans for college and pay them off with future earnings. You can't do that with a lack of retirement funds. We've put a little into 529 but not much because we've really been focusing on maxing the retirement, but will ramp up our 529 savings down the road. I will say I chose to go the 529 route over the prepaid, because many of the reasons already mentioned(flexibility, extremely high cost of prepaid).

Old 08-13-2017, 09:43 AM

91 posts, read 111,806 times
Don't quote me- but isn't VA one of the states where while you prepay you are not guaranteed future tuition at that rate? If their numbers are really off I think you still have to come up with the difference yourself. I think I read that somewhere. But like I said, don't quote me on that.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:27 AM

529 posts, read 753,195 times
We have chosen prepaid 529 option for our 2 kids. They still have several years to go.
Hope I have made a good decision in opting for prepay option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia