Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 04:01 AM

948 posts, read 3,365,093 times

Advertisements

At the top of the page I'm told the state requires me to review rules and regs on Va school laws. The county says I "shall sign the form" acknowledging receipt.

The policy tells me I have the right to "express" disagreement with policies but this seems little more than lip service as there's no real process--other than due process--to have parents initiate a formal dialogue when there is a dispute or problem. Your child is also required to sign. I know the school system has used this form against students to punish one student but not another who committed the very same action. The difference from what I learned was that one family didn't sign the form. For arguments sake I'll say the " infraction" was very innocuous and no one was ever physically harmed.

Any legal types out there that would care to chime in on the legal use of this form by the school system. I'm a little jaded as I've seen how transparency in APS is lacking and cases of disparity in punishment are rampant here. So, can you keep your student from signing this without punishment from Aps for not signing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 04:12 AM

948 posts, read 3,365,093 times
Default Copy of form

Attached form
Attached Thumbnails
APS and state of VA school forms-image.jpg  

Old 09-06-2017, 05:04 AM

19,340 posts, read 17,256,396 times
Oh grow up! It's obvious that comprehension is not your strength. It says in bold letters above the signature lines "By signing this form I acknowledge receiving the APS 2017-2018 student handbook..."

What are you afraid of that by acknowledging receipt you will actually be held responsible to act in an appropriate manner?

Old 09-06-2017, 05:06 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,303,439 times
Can't read unless I turn the monitor on its side. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that they would just note that you refused to sign and nothing changes. Unlike vaccinations where your kid doesn't enter the school without them kind of rule. But I'm really not certain on your reasons to not sign?

Old 09-06-2017, 07:17 AM

6,591 posts, read 8,476,140 times
I am not a legal type but by signing this form you're acknowledging that you received or was granted access to the 2017-2018 Student Handbook. It also states that you've reviewed the handbook - which, in my experience, most people don't do until they need to look up a specific policy.

IMO, it will make no difference whether you sign or not. By enrolling your child in APS schools, you're in essence, agreeing to abide by their policies whether you acknowledge you've read them or not.

Like Bigfoot said, it's likely that refusing to sign does not mean that your child will not be allowed to attend school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
I know the school system has used this form against students to punish one student but not another who committed the very same action.
Either:

1.) The school is confused about what this form states and is misusing it.
or
2.) You're mistaken about this specific form being used to punish students.

They are either not enforcing school policy equally or there is something else going on that you're just not privy to - which is frequently the case when there is a disparity in punishment.

Last edited by HokieFan; 09-06-2017 at 07:40 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 07:27 AM

5,389 posts, read 7,252,244 times
I am not a lawyer, but from the form:

These materials shall include a notice to the parents that by signing the statement of receipt, parents shall not be deemed to waive, but to expressly reserve, their rights protected by the constitutions or laws of the United States or the Commonwealth and that a parent shall have the right to express disagreement with a school's or school division's policies or decisions.

(my bolding)

I read that as saying, sign the form and you won't run into problems of being outright ignored by the school if you voice disagreement with a decision of theirs. It doesn't explicitly state the contrary, however - that by not signing it, you then waive all such rights, and I think that legally such a thing would have to be stated rather than be vaguely implied. I really do not think it carries that negative meaning for non-signature.

What do you gain by not acknowledging that you received the APS Handbook, if you did receive it? How do you know that disparity in punishment of the two students you refer to was due to disparity of signature on that form?

Think of this example: Say the handbook rules state "No student shall be allowed to wear offensive clothing such as...." and your child gets punished for clothing that you think should be acceptable. You previously signed the form acknowledging you got the rule book.

The form is declaring that the school cannot respond to your complaint by saying "you acknowledged you got the rule book, so you should know the rules, therefore you have no recourse because you agreed to them." On the contrary, the form is saying your acknowledgment of getting the rules does not carry with it an agreement that you lose your right to object in the case the school takes action against an infraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia