Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 9,744 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Work is transferring me from Seattle (Renton, WA) to Reston. I have two young boys ages 5 and 3. Work will be in Reston Town Center. Most concerned about schools and commute. Any recommendations for areas around Reston with good schools close to the town center? Preference would be a townhouse or SFH over a condo, but certainly open to a condo if schools are good and it's close. We will have a car and don't mind a commute less than 20 mins. We will be renting for the first few months to get acclimated to the area then may look to buy. Wife is a nurse so close to any nursing jobs is a plus, but not a requirement. Please let me know what areas you recommend.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 05:52 AM

313 posts, read 551,855 times
Welcome to NoVA.

For the most part there are three things that determine where you want to live in this area.

-budget
-size of house desited
-length of commute desired

The average person normally gets 2 of 3 and has to compromise on the third. Your budget is the most important factor but if you desire a less than 20 minute commute to RTC, you'll be sticking pretty close to Reston/Herndon/Sterling. Some areas of Chantilly and Fairfax will also check the box. The schools around here are very good especially the elementary schools tho I'd tend to shy away from South Reston. People on the board can give you more specific areas if you're willing to say how much you're willing to spend on housing.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:43 AM

Maybe around $2400/month or less for rent. Thanks!

Old 10-12-2017, 06:54 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,092 times
Reston Hospital is right at the RTC, so could be convenient for your wife.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:47 AM

147 posts, read 350,150 times
I live in Reston, and just came back from visiting Seattle! Seattle is beautiful BTW!

The elementary schools in Reston are great, with the exception of Dogwood. I’d avoid that one.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:47 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times
I agree with Nate_VA any elementary school in Reston except Dogwood. I know many people who love Sunrise Valley Elementary.

Stick to Reston and your kids will love the summers spent at the neighborhood pool. Reston has 15 pools that are paid for with dues to Reston Association. For renters that usually means it is included in the rent.

I live in the South Lakes area of Reston, please let me know if you have any questions.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:53 PM

313 posts, read 551,855 times
Yep should have been more specific with regards to South Reston, Dogwood is what I was referencing.

A budget of 2400 should get you a 3BR for rent and I saw quite a few townhomes in Reston available on Craigslist. That amount will also be more than enough for Sterling and Herndon as well.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:37 PM

Thanks all! What do you all think about the following areas?

- Oak Hill area (I think?) near the airport on the north end of Air and Space Museum PKWY. Townhomes there are zoned for Floris Elementary. Just a little worried about airport noise since so close to the airport

- Also looking at townhomes by the Walnut Branch Rec area or North Reston Park area zoned for Aldrin elementary. How are those neighborhoods?

Again, I'll be working in RTC, but don't mind a commute of 20 mins or shorter for good schools.

Thanks again!

Old 10-17-2017, 06:28 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times
I would choose either Walnut Branch or North Reston Park areas over the Oak Hill area. Most airport traffic is north and south of the airport so you won't have the brunt of the airport traffic. About 15 years ago I lived in a temporary apartment at the corner of Centerville and Frying Pan roads. I don't remember the airport noise being an issue. If you do go with the Oak Hill area be sure that you test drive your commute during commuting hours.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:01 PM

How is the commute from Tysons to Reston? Schools in Tyson look really good and it looks like there are a lot of amenities in Tyson. How are schools in Reston compared to Tysons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia