Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 04:01 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,249,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
How do people get tricked? Leave the cart and walk away. Is she holding you at gunpoint to buy these groceries?

I can't believe people would really be this dumb, but they must be, because these panhandlers aren't going away.
This site is weird. I went to click on Rate this post positively and got this message when I did.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to boyd888 again.

I can't even remember the last time I clicked on this for you but I know it's been months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 05:03 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Don't we all know (or we should???) that these people are generally scammers? I did come across someone that I actually helped once because he asked if I could buy him a sandwich or a slice of pizza - I did) - I've had others that want money to buy a sandwich/food - I say I won't give you money but I'll buy you a sandwich - they walk away.

Hoping the OP doesn't think such a scenario could actually happen.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:14 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,618,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I work in Fairfax and the panhandling frequency is starting to resemble the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. That isn't good.
It's funny you mention this- I've noticed it as well. In addition, my girlfriend drug me down to Potomac Mills last weekend for some last minute gifts (dsfjdsfjsdofjodjsfodsjfdsofi!!!)- We always debate which of the two exits is faster, and since I won this time, I took Dale Blvd- as we headed north towards the mall on some other road, both of us looked over to an undeveloped plot of land and saw a homeless tent colony that resembled parts of DC. Maybe it's because I am rarely down there or have just never paid attention but that was striking to see in a suburban community. I bet there were upwards of twenty plus tents! And it didn't appear to be a holiday display for the nearby REI Store. I never give money to panhandlers anymore, I offer to buy a sandwich or some coffee and that is it. And the offer is usually refused.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:33 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,831,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
If you are approached by a young woman who says she needs help buying food for her family this Christmas, don't be fooled. Just direct her to a local food pantry, like Food for Others, where there is plenty of food available. If you agree to pay for groceries, she will trick you into buying a cart full of high-priced items that comes to much more than you could have imagined, and she will tell you all about her unpaid electric bill, her relative with cancer, her children without warm winter clothes, and so on. She will then try to talk you into taking her to an ATM and taking out money for her, or letting her come and clean your house (where she'll rob you blind). She is very convincing. This happened in Fairfax, and I heard another story about it happening in Chantilly.
I'm hungry. Please take me shopping. I'm a cheap guy, so Wegman's will do.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:51 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,491,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I Feel like there are options between giving someone all your money and calling the cops on them.
I don't.

Old 12-21-2017, 05:55 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,404,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
This site is weird. I went to click on Rate this post positively and got this message when I did.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to boyd888 again.

I can't even remember the last time I clicked on this for you but I know it's been months.
Apparently the forum software has some kind of algorithm.

"Rep power is based on a formula that takes many factors into account. User's registration date, reputation, and the number of posts are all used. " Not clear on how many people a user has to rep before being allowed to rep the same person again. One mod in another forum said it was 25, and the user is allowed to pass out 35 rep points per 24 hour period. Also, the amount of rep points you are allowed to give vary by forum.

I never used to have trouble giving rep points but lately I've noticed I can't rep again anyone I repped before.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:27 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Always respond to anyone needing money for gas/groceries/tiny condoms or whatever that you are calling the police and telling them they have someone at such and such that needs help. Watch how fast they disappear.

"Step back. I am a CCW holder!"

Old 12-21-2017, 08:22 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Don't we all know (or we should???) that these people are generally scammers? I did come across someone that I actually helped once because he asked if I could buy him a sandwich or a slice of pizza - I did) - I've had others that want money to buy a sandwich/food - I say I won't give you money but I'll buy you a sandwich - they walk away.

Hoping the OP doesn't think such a scenario could actually happen.
This scammer DOES ask for food. She specifically says she doesn't want money, just some food for her kids. She will even gladly - while crying - accompany you into the supermarket so you can make sure you just pay for food. It is a very clever con - these people are professionals who could get Academy Awards, and they know just what buttons to push. You all say how stupid it is to be fooled - so easy to say when you have never encountered this type of con artist.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:53 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
If you agree to pay for groceries, she will trick you into buying a cart full of high-priced items that comes to much more than you could have imagined, and she will tell you all about her unpaid electric bill, her relative with cancer, her children without warm winter clothes, and so on. She will then try to talk you into taking her to an ATM and taking out money for her, or letting her come and clean your house (where she'll rob you blind).
Quote:
You all say how stupid it is to be fooled - so easy to say when you have never encountered this type of con artist.
I doubt I'd be that level of generous with people I know, love, and trust ... much less total strangers.

[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 12-21-2017, 11:44 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,137,073 times
Quote:
If you agree to pay for groceries, she will trick you into buying a cart full of high-priced items that comes to much more than you could have imagined
Um..just curious as to how this "trick" works? Why are you allowing the high-priced items in the cart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia