Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 01:14 PM

89 posts, read 83,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
This scammer DOES ask for food. She specifically says she doesn't want money, just some food for her kids. She will even gladly - while crying - accompany you into the supermarket so you can make sure you just pay for food. It is a very clever con - these people are professionals who could get Academy Awards, and they know just what buttons to push. You all say how stupid it is to be fooled - so easy to say when you have never encountered this type of con artist.
I have seen this before and don't get fooled. I alert store management to this and/or call the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 05:00 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,260,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGEMF View Post
I have seen this before and don't get fooled. I alert store management to this and/or call the police.
The couple here that say this is real have yet to answer. How do you get snookered into allowing high priced items into your cart in this scam? Wouldn't the normal person at some point say this is BS and just walk away? If someone is allowing a so called homeless person to do this to them then shame on them. I can see and understand an elderly person maybe being taken advantage of but not the vast majority of the shopping public.

Old 12-22-2017, 05:54 AM

89 posts, read 83,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
The couple here that say this is real have yet to answer. How do you get snookered into allowing high priced items into your cart in this scam? Wouldn't the normal person at some point say this is BS and just walk away? If someone is allowing a so called homeless person to do this to them then shame on them. I can see and understand an elderly person maybe being taken advantage of but not the vast majority of the shopping public.
Exactly

Old 12-22-2017, 11:02 AM

15,438 posts, read 25,852,608 times
What is the motivation for the con? Free food?

Old 12-22-2017, 02:38 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,409,764 times
I am one of those people who often gives generously to beggars and others down on their luck. Not always, and I try to be careful who I give to. And yes, I also give to aid charities and food banks. I’ve been doing this for years and intend to keep on doing so. In those years, I’ve seen a lot of scams, cons, schemes and swindles. I’ve fallen for a few and ducked out of most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What is the motivation for the con? Free food?
I’ve seen the Pitiful Honest Mother scam play out a number of times. Sometimes the Pitiful Honest Mother does indeed want more food for her family. In other cases, she is loading the cart with whatever she knows she can sell for the most money on the street as a side hustle. If you balk at paying the higher amount, she will launch into increasingly loud histronics. She will accuse you of being a Grinch snatching the food out of the mouths of her crippled starving children at home in the dark warming their tiny hands over the lone tea candle that is the only light and heat they can afford. She will appeal for sympathy (and more cash handouts) from the onlookers who have gathered to watch the show. You can give in to the public shame or walk away. That’s a small time con.

The more professional conwoman will work with one or more partners. They will wander up to join the crowd of onlookers the Pitiful Honest Mother is working to create. They will chime in at an opportune moment to testify that yes, they personally saw and heard you promise the Pitiful Honest Mother whatever she wanted. They will swear on God and Jesus and all his Holy Angels to bear true witness and testament and may the witnesses be struck dead on the spot if they lie. And then they appeal to the civic virtue and shared bond of faith of the onlookers to make sure that you, you deceitful sociopath, do right by the Pitiful Honest Mother. To be fair, I’ve only known about this happening overseas. This can get dangerous very fast since you could potentially be the victim of mob justice. In third world countries, where the smallest grocery stores don’t have labeled prices, there is one more twist to the scam. You will be steered to a nearby store where you will be charged an exorbitant amount by the shopkeeper. Later, the Pitiful Honest Mother will collect her commission from the shopkeeper and return the goods.

Last edited by ersatz; 12-22-2017 at 03:10 PM..

Old 12-23-2017, 10:27 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,429,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I’ve seen the Pitiful Honest Mother scam play out a number of times. If you balk at paying the higher amount, she will launch into increasingly loud histronics.

You will be steered to a nearby store where you will be charged an exorbitant amount by the shopkeeper. Later, the Pitiful Honest Mother will collect her commission from the shopkeeper and return the goods.
But you haven't explained why are you even listening to her? Walk away. Tell her to buzz off. Those people get the point real quick when they realize you aren't a mark.

I've traveled a lot and as a white person I've been approached many times especially in third world countries as you mentioned. They purposely use maimed children because they bring in more cash from tourists. These people may be needy, they are con artists through and through. The "go away" hand gesture is universal, try using it. If you want to really help people donate to organizations.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:20 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,285,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
I am one of those people who often gives generously to beggars and others down on their luck. Not always, and I try to be careful who I give to. And yes, I also give to aid charities and food banks. I’ve been doing this for years and intend to keep on doing so. In those years, I’ve seen a lot of scams, cons, schemes and swindles. I’ve fallen for a few and ducked out of most.

I’ve seen the Pitiful Honest Mother scam play out a number of times. Sometimes the Pitiful Honest Mother does indeed want more food for her family. In other cases, she is loading the cart with whatever she knows she can sell for the most money on the street as a side hustle. If you balk at paying the higher amount, she will launch into increasingly loud histronics. She will accuse you of being a Grinch snatching the food out of the mouths of her crippled starving children at home in the dark warming their tiny hands over the lone tea candle that is the only light and heat they can afford. She will appeal for sympathy (and more cash handouts) from the onlookers who have gathered to watch the show. You can give in to the public shame or walk away. That’s a small time con.

The more professional conwoman will work with one or more partners. They will wander up to join the crowd of onlookers the Pitiful Honest Mother is working to create. They will chime in at an opportune moment to testify that yes, they personally saw and heard you promise the Pitiful Honest Mother whatever she wanted. They will swear on God and Jesus and all his Holy Angels to bear true witness and testament and may the witnesses be struck dead on the spot if they lie. And then they appeal to the civic virtue and shared bond of faith of the onlookers to make sure that you, you deceitful sociopath, do right by the Pitiful Honest Mother. To be fair, I’ve only known about this happening overseas. This can get dangerous very fast since you could potentially be the victim of mob justice. In third world countries, where the smallest grocery stores don’t have labeled prices, there is one more twist to the scam. You will be steered to a nearby store where you will be charged an exorbitant amount by the shopkeeper. Later, the Pitiful Honest Mother will collect her commission from the shopkeeper and return the goods.
This scenario is so preposterous that I cannot fathom such a thing happening.

Do you want to know how I handle these people?

"Ma'am, can you - "
"No."

But, I just - "
"No."

Repeat as necessary.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:08 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,261,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
This scenario is so preposterous that I cannot fathom such a thing happening.

Do you want to know how I handle these people?

"Ma'am, can you - "
"No."

But, I just - "
"No."

Repeat as necessary.
Lol. Amen!

Another fav scam is the gas scam..."I ran out of gas. Do you have 5 bucks?" Funny, then never let you pay the gas station cashier with your card for the $5. Ever.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:16 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,497,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I know you were a police officer. There are many good willed people who are easy to take advantage of. An $8 loaf of gluten free bread may be a lot for me but there are people who do not even look at price, they just get what is on the list and never even look to see if the item sitting right next to it could be the same thing for half the price.

I assume some of those people are also at least some of the people that get scammed. They have a good heart, good money and feel fortunate. The are trying to help and they get taken advantage of.

As a former police officer I am sure you know how this works.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:05 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,260,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I know you were a police officer. There are many good willed people who are easy to take advantage of. An $8 loaf of gluten free bread may be a lot for me but there are people who do not even look at price, they just get what is on the list and never even look to see if the item sitting right next to it could be the same thing for half the price.

I assume some of those people are also at least some of the people that get scammed. They have a good heart, good money and feel fortunate. The are trying to help and they get taken advantage of.

As a former police officer I am sure you know how this works.
Sorry but I don't buy this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia