Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 05:55 PM

5 posts, read 5,298 times

Advertisements

We've been pouring through these forums and they have a lot of helpful information, but our situation seems unique enough we wanted to make our own post asking for advice. (Just so you know we tried!)

My wife and I (in our 30s) are moving to the area for my job, which will be in Chantilly. We're looking for a townhouse in the 300-425k range. One thing, though, is we don't have kids, nor are we planning to have any. The area doesn't seem to cater to us all that much.

Is there someplace in the area that would fit our demographic? A nice community we can connect with, and participate in, without needing to have kids. I know this area is very suburban and often described as lacking character, but I refuse to believe that this is completely the case.

P.S. We would love a community with a fitness center.

POSSIBILITIES
CITIES:
Reston, and definitely Arlington and Alexandria, are probably what everyone is going to suggest first, but they're simply too expensive for what we want in a home. We're looking more in the Chantilly, Ashburn, and maybe Sterling area...places around there. Eastern Loudon County. Maybe slightly into Fairfax. Leesburg is too far west.

COMMUNITIES:
Cascades - We're looking closely at this one. Seems nice and right in our price range. Has 3 fitness centers. Near the Potomac. Lots of green space. We like it, but not sure how much of a community feel they have.

Broadlands - Don't know much about this community yet. It's an option.

Brambleton - From what we can tell it seems too expensive, a little too family-oriented, and too busy. Probably off our radar.

South Riding - Seems to have a good sense of community, with lots of events, but also seems super kid-oriented. No true fitness centers at all, either. Seems far from a lot of places.

Would love your help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 07:27 PM

313 posts, read 553,114 times
Cascades would get my vote and I would also check into Centreville around the Route 50, 66 and 28 disaster of an interchange. There are quite a few townhomes and shopping/gyms to go to.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:27 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,415,243 times
You're not going to find what you're looking for in Chantilly, Ashburn or Sterling - or Loudoun County, these are all pretty suburban areas, somewhat cookie cutter and sterile with high rated schools which is why most families move to them.

I know you mentioned they were too expensive but with what you're looking you're only going to be able to find in Arlington and Alexandria. Reston maybe but much of Reston can be grouped in with the suburban areas like Ashburn and Chantilly, although the area near Reston Town Center is much more dense, decent bars and less car oriented.

Best of luck!

Last edited by NOVA_guy; 02-19-2018 at 06:40 AM..

Old 02-19-2018, 06:57 AM

45 posts, read 49,298 times
Why not Herndon? The Community Center has a pool, tennis, and fitness classes, - plus a 9 hole golf course .
You have historic homes and townhomes, the W&OD goes right through it, Next Stop Theatre(professional theatre company), Art Center, fun restaurants such as Jimmy's, free live music in the summer.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:10 AM

5 posts, read 5,298 times
Thanks! We’ll look more into Herndon. Which area? Downtown? Anywhere?

And, to clarify, we’re not really looking for “the single life” (bars, parties, clubs, other nightlife), just a community with stuff going on.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:46 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,415,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedelous View Post

And, to clarify, we’re not really looking for “the single life” (bars, parties, clubs, other nightlife), just a community with stuff going on.
Oh, got it. Herndon should definitely work then.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:45 PM

45 posts, read 49,298 times
plenty of posts in this forum discussing Herndon, but the basics:
Herndon addresses can be the Town of Herndon(zipcode 20170) or Fairfax County with a Herndon address (zipcodes 20170 and 20171) . Town of Herndon has different taxes, but I'm not sure on the particulars. I'm sure others can pipe in about ToH taxes or there might be some older posts in this forum. I live in the Fairfax County part of Herndon.

Of the Fairfax County portion:

- area south of the toll road(zipcode 20171) is more expensive, because the schools are higher -rated. You will likely find newer townhomes and condos in your budget.

- Area north of the toll road(zipcode 20170, where I live - full disclosure) is more affordable. Schools are rated lower than schools south of the Toll Road, but by state standards they are still high. My kid got into their first choice university, so I think we made the right choice to live here. In 20170 neighborhoods vary - you have to ask around, or check the Fairfax Police crime stats. I live in a neighborhood of 20 and 30 year old detached homes. I walk at night in my neighborhood, but I know never to leave anything of value in a car parked on the street - That's normal for northern VA.

Herndon definitely has a community feel: Summer Farmers' market, Herndon Festival(carnival rides, craft booths, live music), holiday home tours, Friday Night Live(free live music downtown in the summer), High school Homecoming Parade. Metro arriving soon...

Last edited by Mombrarian; 02-19-2018 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-19-2018, 04:15 PM

947 posts, read 1,407,049 times
Although you said Reston would probably be too expensive for you, I don't think that's necessarily the case for the upper end of the budget you mentioned. I just took a look at a local real estate agent's website, and there seem to be some very nice townhouses in the 400-450K range in both North and South Reston. So, if you're going to take a look at Herndon, you might want to consider having a look-see next town over at Reston. Either town might suit you; Herndon has a lot more history and still retains somewhat of a traditional feeling, at least in its downtown core. Reston of course only dates back to the mid-1960s. There is always a ton of things going on in Reston that are not necessarily child-related (sports activities, volunteerism, performing arts at the community centers, nature activities, etc.)

Having said that, though...be aware, as I think you already are, that by definition "traditional" suburbia, which defines much if not most of Northern Virginia, is by definition going to be family-oriented. That should not be a deal-breaker, however; you will not be branded with the scarlet letter and ostracized for being childless if you move into a neighborhood that has a lot of kids. In a way it's luck of the draw who your new neighbors are and how well you mesh with them, although the more of a effort you make to get to know them, the better your chances. My wife and I do not have children but have never felt out of place on our cul-de-sac of 15 houses (two childless households, six with kids, seven empty-nesters). Every neighborhood and street is different; mine has yearly get-togethers and a block-wide E-mail list, but I am sure there are others where people barely know each other.

Wherever you end up, good luck with the move and hope you find a place that is to your liking.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:23 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,595,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedelous View Post

I personally like Old Town Herndon ('downtown') I am a cyclist and love Green Lizard bike shop, which is definitely a community space (though more for the W&OD cycling community than for the locals? Not sure) There are always fliers there about local activities. The area is sort of walkable now, and getting more so. Aslin Brewery will be opening there soon (not sure the date). Any (incorporated) town this size is going to have a local political scene that is pretty accessible, I think.

Can't tell you if the real estate there would work though.

I also think Reston Town Center could work. It has restaurants and "bars" (technically no bars in Va, all liquor by the drink places (other than brewery taprooms/wineries/distilleries) must sell a minimum amount of food and are technically "restaurants") but isn't really a single scene, the way the Clarendon area of Arlington is (or some parts of DC)

Old 02-21-2018, 01:51 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,260 posts, read 4,364,082 times
Herndon has older established neighborhoods and newer townhome/apartment type areas. Your best bet would be neighborhoods in the 20170 area codes versus 20171. We live in Kingston Chase and love it. Close to Old Town Herndon and Loudon County as well. Hiddenbrook is another fantastic established neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia