Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 04:51 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollydoe View Post
Wish I could see this - I'll be out of town for it.
"out of town" for 10 weeks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 02:01 PM

290 posts, read 634,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Everyone I know who has already seen it has said it's the best musical they've ever seen. And all of those people made sure they had Kennedy Center memberships to get priority tickets yesterday. All are excited to see it again.
Obviously "Hamilton" is one of the great plays of Broadway history already. However, the problem with these kind of phenomena is that there's social pressure to conform to what everyone else is saying or else you feel like a rube who's missing the important moment. Even if you only like it, you can feel swept up in the pressure to love it from all the fans around you. I remember talking to 5 or 6 different people who saw "Hamilton" early in its run on Broadway and while they all recognized it as a groundbreaking production the consensus was that much of the subsequent hysteria came more from the surrounding hype machine than the play itself. It was the timing of it as well. It was the right play at the right time. It's kind of like it's almost impossible to get a fair and impartial analysis on the Beatles actual contributions and weaknesses, as great as they were, because it's so caught up in such fundamental feelings and memories and its so tied to a particular moment in time for historians and critics. We all become fans even before we can see the work clearly.

I've bought the soundtrack and I'm happy to see it several years from now when a production becomes more available.

Old 03-07-2018, 04:47 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
I'm still waiting for the show about Calvin Coolidge. Since he was "Silent Cal," it will be mostly in mime.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:51 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I'm still waiting for the show about Calvin Coolidge. Since he was "Silent Cal," it will be mostly in mime.
A silent president! What a novelty...

Old 03-08-2018, 10:38 AM

194 posts, read 400,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post
Obviously "Hamilton" is one of the great plays of Broadway history already. However, the problem with these kind of phenomena is that there's social pressure to conform to what everyone else is saying or else you feel like a rube who's missing the important moment. Even if you only like it, you can feel swept up in the pressure to love it from all the fans around you. I remember talking to 5 or 6 different people who saw "Hamilton" early in its run on Broadway and while they all recognized it as a groundbreaking production the consensus was that much of the subsequent hysteria came more from the surrounding hype machine than the play itself. It was the timing of it as well. It was the right play at the right time. It's kind of like it's almost impossible to get a fair and impartial analysis on the Beatles actual contributions and weaknesses, as great as they were, because it's so caught up in such fundamental feelings and memories and its so tied to a particular moment in time for historians and critics. We all become fans even before we can see the work clearly.

I've bought the soundtrack and I'm happy to see it several years from now when a production becomes more available.
Years ago I bought into the hype of The Producers and saw it on Broadway during its original run I think just after it won the Tony. I bought the ticket on ebay for $150. I can't imagine what I'd pay today, probably $1,000 (which I WOULDN'T pay). Ridiculous.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:58 AM

23 posts, read 23,056 times
So tickets to Hamilton went on sale to the general public this week (versus the Kennedy Center Members presale a few weeks ago.). Seems it ran a little smoother but waits were still very long on line and on the phone. We got three tickets together in row K of the orchestra for a weeknight performance in July (not my preferred date) after waiting in the online queue for 1 hour and 20 minutes. My co-worker got tickets after being on hold with the box office for over 2 hours. We both started our quest right at 8am when sales started. Normal price tickets ranged from $99 to $199 and sold out early Tuesday morning. $625 premium seats and some single seats are still available for most nights.

Scalpers, of course, have plenty of seats for any night you want to go at prices starting at around $300 for seats in the back of the second tier and up to $2500 for the center orchestra seats in the first 5 rows.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:18 AM

406 posts, read 625,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyo321 View Post

Well said.

Your response reminds me of a report I read called, IMPERFECT RECALL: HOW MEMORY IMPACTS POLICE
USE OF FORCE INVESTIGATIONS
, written by Lexipol.

"Memory is a record of a person’s experience of reality; it is not a record of reality itself..."

It can be challenging to have an objective conversation with subjective people. I avoid these conversations unless the participant is willing to write down their position. It is easy for individuals to become defensive when you question their position.

Old 03-29-2018, 07:47 PM

322 posts, read 275,793 times
I see the lines around the Kennedy center and I'm just reminded of one word: SHEEP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia