Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 04:22 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times

Advertisements

Just wondering.....how many of us on this board have enough damage to have an insurance claim?

I have a LOT of shingles all over my yard, so I opened a claim. Not sure what the damage value actually is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 04:52 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Not sure yet. I don't feel like going out in my yard. My neighbor has 3 trees down in the back. So far none for me.

My roof is relatively new so I'm hoping I didn't lose any shingles.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:12 PM

147 posts, read 350,150 times
We’ve been lucky so far. Lots of large tree branches falling on our house, but no seriousl damage.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:06 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

My roof is relatively new so I'm hoping I didn't lose any shingles.
My roof is 2 years old; replaced during the hail storm that hit Middleburg in 2016. My brother's roof is 2 months old, and he said he also has shingles littering his yard in Williowsford.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:10 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,530,453 times
My stepfathers business had a tree fall right on top of one of his employees trucks. I kind of rolled my eyes at the government being closed today because its always windy in DC but that picture gave me memories of Hurricane Fran in North Carolina.

I went through Hurricane whatever 2003ish which I thought was a joke compared to what ive seen in NC but I guess this is legit. Goid thing most VA power is underground.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
My stepfathers business had a tree fall right on top of one of his employees trucks. I kind of rolled my eyes at the government being closed today because its always windy in DC but that picture gave me memories of Hurricane Fran in North Carolina.

I went through Hurricane whatever 2003ish which I thought was a joke compared to what ive seen in NC but I guess this is legit. Goid thing most VA power is underground.
I have to say that closing the government was a wise thing to do. With those seriously high winds and loads of trees in this area, it was best that people stay off the road. I haven't checked the latest status, but I95 South at Potomac Mills got shut down yesterday around 5PM because the tall Potomac Mills sign was leaning and looking like it may eventually fall onto the interstate. Haven't check this morning to see what they did about it or if it was ruled to be sound, even leaning.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:32 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,403,044 times
Falling branches damaged my roof and the winds ripped away more. Insurance claim inspector is scheduled for "sometime next week". The insurance claim dept said there were nonstop calls from NoVA.

I made it to the store yesterday evening during a time when the winds were weaker. Several trees down along the roads. It was a good thing the govt, schools, and some businesses were closed. If trees had come down during normal rush hours some of those trees would have fallen on lines of cars waiting at traffic lights. Or not, as some of the traffic lights were out.

The Potomac Mills sign will be taken down, according to the news. UPDATED: Potomac Mills sign will be taken down; southbound I-95 remains closed | News | princewilliamtimes.com
The 140-foot sign began leaning precariously in Friday's wind storm, prompting a complete shutdown on Interstate 95 south, Telegraph Road in Woodbridge and adjacent highway ramps. Traffic was snarled for miles as a result.

Plans are in the works to call in a crane and dismantle the sign, but that work can't be accomplished until winds diminish significantly.

Until then, I-95 south will remain closed at Prince William Parkway, as will the southbound Va. 123 ramp to I-95 and the east-west parkway ramps to the interstate, said Jennifer McCord, Northern Virginia spokeswoman for Virginia Department of Transportation.

The 95 Express Lanes will be remain open southbound and tolls will be suspended.
Telegraph Road between Prince William Parkway will also remain closed.
Imagine all that taking place during normal rush hours.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Falling branches damaged my roof and the winds ripped away more. Insurance claim inspector is scheduled for "sometime next week". The insurance claim dept said there were nonstop calls from NoVA.

I made it to the store yesterday evening during a time when the winds were weaker. Several trees down along the roads. It was a good thing the govt, schools, and some businesses were closed. If trees had come down during normal rush hours some of those trees would have fallen on lines of cars waiting at traffic lights. Or not, as some of the traffic lights were out.

The Potomac Mills sign will be taken down, according to the news. UPDATED: Potomac Mills sign will be taken down; southbound I-95 remains closed | News | princewilliamtimes.com
The 140-foot sign began leaning precariously in Friday's wind storm, prompting a complete shutdown on Interstate 95 south, Telegraph Road in Woodbridge and adjacent highway ramps. Traffic was snarled for miles as a result.

Plans are in the works to call in a crane and dismantle the sign, but that work can't be accomplished until winds diminish significantly.

Until then, I-95 south will remain closed at Prince William Parkway, as will the southbound Va. 123 ramp to I-95 and the east-west parkway ramps to the interstate, said Jennifer McCord, Northern Virginia spokeswoman for Virginia Department of Transportation.

The 95 Express Lanes will be remain open southbound and tolls will be suspended.
Telegraph Road between Prince William Parkway will also remain closed.
Imagine all that taking place during normal rush hours.
Thanks for that update on the sign. My husband was over by Ikea this morning and said they had a whole "command center" going. I guess they are going to have to keep the express lanes running south until the sign issue is taken care of.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:17 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,332 times
We have some massive trees near our house but thankfully they all stayed put. I had a tree guy coming today, completely unrelated to this storm. I was just going to get a quote on cutting back some of the branches so the lawn got a bit more sun but may start a discussion of full removal of some of these monsters. I've dreaded the thought because I know how expensive it is plus they're pretty

Old 03-03-2018, 07:35 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
I filed one for our car. A downspout from the carport fell, but didn’t come completely detached. It dented the roofline where it hit and the wind kindly brushed the downspout back and forth across the car scratching it up nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia