Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 6,641 times

Advertisements

It probably goes without saying, if my car inspection expired I'd have to pay the relevant fine. I'm curious if there is any additional fine if I were to remove that expired inspection sticker from the car?

I've skimmed a lot of Chapter 10, Article 21 but I don't see any mention specifically prohibiting removal of an inspection sticker. There is something that pertains to rejection stickers however but strictly speaking that's just rejection stickers and not expired inspection stickers.

[url]https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title46.2/chapter10/[/url]

Does anyone know of additional fines for removal or have experience one way or another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 12:33 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
I do not know of any additional state fines or have any specific experience. However, I do know that there may be locality issues as well. For example, Alexandria code prohibits parking without a license plate or an inspection sticker. $40 fine. It does not say anything about an expired inspection sticker, I assume that defaults to the state law.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:50 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
No additional fine, but why remove it? No inspection sticker and VA plates you will definitely get pulled over. Cops can see that hundreds of feet away.

People drive around with expired inspection stickers all the time as police don't usually bother to check the month unless you are already pulled over for something else. Obviously get it done asap though.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:42 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
No additional fine, but why remove it? No inspection sticker and VA plates you will definitely get pulled over. Cops can see that hundreds of feet away.

People drive around with expired inspection stickers all the time as police don't usually bother to check the month unless you are already pulled over for something else. Obviously get it done asap though.
I had a FX county cop chase me down miles through McLean years ago. He was parked on the side of Kerby Road shooting the sht with another FX cop. Must have been a slow day to chase someone down for a sticker. He really was enjoying every minute after he pulled me over with lights and siren.
Got to love um all.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:37 PM

262 posts, read 582,271 times
Now that the stickers have been moved to the driver's side corner of the windshield, and its getting towards the end of the year, its easier to spot the inspection stickers that are expired. I'd be leery of driving around with an expired sticker.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:39 PM

231 posts, read 455,471 times
Yeah, the move makes things tougher for those who are ignoring it. My car was on its last leg and I was waiting to dump my old one. I went a good 6 months without getting it inspected (move the windshield wiper blades ever so slightly higher to obscure the inspection sticker). Made sure to park in my driveway too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: