Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 08:12 AM

3 posts, read 4,089 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to the area from Louisiana. I am familiar with MD (HoCo to Baltimore) in general but nothing in NoVa. Arlington is expensive. I have two small children (under 8) and just am beginning to consider this move.

Where do families live that can only afford between 450-500K and actually want a little space? Or is it not possible without an hour or more commute to work in Arlington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 08:28 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquil9 View Post
I am considering a move to the area from Louisiana. I am familiar with MD (HoCo to Baltimore) in general but nothing in NoVa. Arlington is expensive. I have two small children (under 8) and just am beginning to consider this move.

Where do families live that can only afford between 450-500K and actually want a little space? Or is it not possible without an hour or more commute to work in Arlington?
Depends what you mean by a little space. There are some older THs and semi-detached homes in that range in South Arlington and in western part of the City Alexandria.

But if you want more space (or newer than that - or more sought after public schools than in those areas) you will need to go further out - south and southwest into Fairfax is the better bet. The longer the commute, the more space for the $. Note that if your commute is to the Crystal City area, VRE (our commuter rail system) can be a good commuting option from southern Fairfax or beyond.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:43 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,246 times
There are some single family homes in Fairfax city proper that would be in that price range. They are older smaller homes on larger lots (.15-.25 acres). Some are more updated than others.
There may also be some options closer in in Annandale near Columbia Pike which is a straight shot to Arlington though still not super close.

You wot likely find anything in City of Falls Church, but may find some Falls Church postal address houses that are older.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:59 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
Quote:

While there is nothing in your price range in the City of Falls Church, you can definitely find some options in the Falls Church portion of Fairfax County. You will still have a commute but it won't be anything close to an hour into Arlington from there. You could probably find some options in Annandale as well.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:07 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Depends what you mean by a little space. There are some older THs and semi-detached homes in that range in South Arlington and in western part of the City Alexandria.

But if you want more space (or newer than that - or more sought after public schools than in those areas) you will need to go further out - south and southwest into Fairfax is the better bet. The longer the commute, the more space for the $. Note that if your commute is to the Crystal City area, VRE (our commuter rail system) can be a good commuting option from southern Fairfax or beyond.
And by older, he probably means made in the 1930's-50's that might have 1600 sq ft. But even those are rare to find these days with 400-500K.

I say maybe southern Alexandria is a pretty decent option too south of the Hungtinton metro.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:36 PM

1,750 posts, read 2,399,151 times
Quote:

Oh this is absolutely doable in the Alexandria, Fairfax County area. (Alexandria is also a separate City, with a different government, which can be pretty confusing to people not familiar with our area.) As other posters mentioned, you can do this in the Huntington area (Fairfax County) due south of Alexandria (City). Why? Because this area is a bit sketchy and some of it is located in a flood plain.

If those factors don't appeal to you, use www.zillow.com to search for single family homes under $500,000 in the Franconia area. You will find a lot of them in the southeastern part of Fairfax County but be aware that this is smaller older housing stock from the 1950s and 1960s. The area along Rt 1 south of Alexandria (the Mt Vernon area) is located near public housing complexes so houses there are quite cheap (relatively for Northern Virginia close into DC). Although Fairfax County public schools have a good reputation overall, public schools in the Mt Vernon area have a poor reputation. Since you have children, I suggest looking a bit west of there around the Rose Hill/Franconia area. That is well within an hour's commute of Arlington. As you go south, prices drop, so also look in Woodbridge. That is around your hour long commute limit, so you need to research neighborhoods carefully. If interested in a particular neighborhood, ask a lot of questions in the Northern Viriginia subforum and research school and crime statistics. Woodbridge is sometimes referred to as "Hoodbridge" depending on the neighborhood. Lake Ridge, to the north and west of Woodbridge, is a more popular choice with middle class families.

Last edited by ersatz; 01-16-2019 at 06:59 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 05:54 AM

3 posts, read 4,089 times
Thank you all. This is good information to help guide decision making.

It appears that I would be in for a commute either way.

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2019, 07:00 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,968,809 times
You just missed a great deal..Express bus across the street...large lot. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...19636495_zpid/

Full basement not counted in square footage. Double lot worth more without the house or the inground pool. Put it a mile west from 22150 to 22152, and it costs 30% more. Schools not great, but considerably better than Rose Hill area.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:59 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
Quote:
Thank you all. This is good information to help guide decision making.

It appears that I would be in for a commute either way.

Thanks!
You will but you definitely have options to ensure it is not a terrible commute.

Northern Virginia is a great place to live but the unfortunate reality is that unless you work from home (or extremely close to home) you are going to have a commute to deal with.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:19 PM

406 posts, read 625,051 times
We moved from New Orleans, Louisiana to Northern Virginia 5 years ago.

What part of Louisiana are you moving from?

We live in Kingstowne where homes range in price from the low $400's to $1 million. Kingstowne is located in Alexandria Fairfax County, not to be confused with the city of Alexandria.

You'll be able to find a nice size townhouse within your price range within walking distance to Fairfax County Publis Schools.

Last edited by Abraham Walker; 01-29-2019 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: Add link to more info about Kingstowne.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia