Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 858 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm potentially moving to the NoVA area in the summer for a teaching job at NVCC. They have 2 openings in the Annandale and Manassas campuses and I'm being considered for both (although I let the department chair I prefer Annandale). I'd be moving from Lexington, Kentucky, but I'm originally from San Juan, Puerto Rico so I'm craving city life after 4 years in a semirural setting. Also the accessibility that brings the NoVA to visit home more frequently. I'm a 27 year old single male, and from what I've read living near or in Arlington/Alexandria would be ideal, both for city life and being able to mingle with people my age...social life in Lexington for people my age is non-existent. I already have some friends in Arlington, Alexandria, and DC itself, but would like to meet new people as well. I'm not really into the bar scene, but I would like to be in a (semi) walkable/biking area, close to main attractions where it would be easy to meet people, rather than in a family-oriented area. I do enjoy going out to restaurants, museums, and theaters (I'm a scientist, but I've always been a history junkie). I see myself joining same-interest groups, and spending time just walking or biking with new/old friends in DC itself on weekends.

Is the commute from Arlington/Alexandria to Annandale feasible? I currently do 30-35 mins each way in KY, so I'm not opposed to 30-55 mins in NoVA. I'm considering Columbia Pike/Landmark/Lincolnia/Falls Church areas. Old Town Alexandria seems nice, but I've read is more for an older crowd...not sure how true this is. If I were to get the Manassas position, would Vienna/Tysons/Centreville be to far out from what I'm looking for? One friend even suggested Oxon Hill in PGC, MD but that seems too far out. I've pretty much ruled out Rosslyn/Clarendon due to how expensive it is. I'd making around 65K, and would prefer to live on my own. My only obligations are a $255 car payment and a very low student loan payment. As a NVCC employee I would get health/dental/vision at state employee rates, and retirement through TIAA. I'm thinking $1500/month rentwise. I currently make 42K in Lexington and pay $800/month in rent with utilities. Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by tamsj54; 04-21-2019 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 11:00 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,054 times
There are many apartments along 236, and that tends to be a younger crowd...a lot less than Arlington, but a little gritty. Your Spanish might be too proper for Manassas..it has large Salvadoran and Dominican populations. As you get closer to DC, you see many more South Americans.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 AM

230 posts, read 220,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsj54 View Post
Hi all! I'm potentially moving to the NoVA area in the summer for a teaching job at NVCC. They have 2 openings in the Annandale and Manassas campuses and I'm being considered for both (although I let the department chair I prefer Annandale). I'd be moving from Lexington, Kentucky, but I'm originally from San Juan, Puerto Rico so I'm craving city life after 4 years in a semirural setting. Also the accessibility that brings the NoVA to visit home more frequently. I'm a 27 year old single male, and from what I've read living near or in Arlington/Alexandria would be ideal, both for city life and being able to mingle with people my age...social life in Lexington for people my age is non-existent. I already have some friends in Arlington, Alexandria, and DC itself, but would like to meet new people as well. I'm not really into the bar scene, but I would like to be in a (semi) walkable/biking area, close to main attractions where it would be easy to meet people, rather than in a family-oriented area. I do enjoy going out to restaurants, museums, and theaters (I'm a scientist, but I've always been a history junkie). I see myself joining same-interest groups, and spending time just walking or biking with new/old friends in DC itself on weekends.

Is the commute from Arlington/Alexandria to Annandale feasible? I currently do 30-35 mins each way in KY, so I'm not opposed to 30-55 mins in NoVA. I'm considering Columbia Pike/Landmark/Lincolnia/Falls Church areas. Old Town Alexandria seems nice, but I've read is more for an older crowd...not sure how true this is. If I were to get the Manassas position, would Vienna/Tysons/Centreville be to far out from what I'm looking for? One friend even suggested Oxon Hill in PGC, MD but that seems too far out. I've pretty much ruled out Rosslyn/Clarendon due to how expensive it is. I'd making around 65K, and would prefer to live on my own. My only obligations are a $255 car payment and a very low student loan payment. As a NVCC employee I would get health/dental/vision at state employee rates, and retirement through TIAA. I'm thinking $1500/month rentwise. I currently make 42K in Lexington and pay $800/month in rent with utilities. Thanks in advance for any help!
Yes, a commute from Arlington/Alexandria to the NVCC campus in Annandale is feasible within your desired commuting time frame.

The areas you mention are all densely populated and feature notable diversity in terms of demographics and socio-economic status. I suggest you visit these areas first before signing any lease. Each area has a mix of good and troubled properties. Overall, I'd say Columbia Pike in Arlington checks the most boxes on your wish list, but it will be the most expensive.

Old Town has a mix of retirees, families, and younger professionals. It's not as young as the Ballston-Rosslyn corridor in Arlington, but I wouldn't cross it off your list if you find something there that you really like, and that fits within your budget.

I would avoid Maryland completely.

If you wind up in Manassas, then I'd poke around Vienna or Centreville, but keep in mind that: 1) Vienna is very expensive and exceedingly congested; 2) Centreville is farther from "the city life" you desire, and; 3) the commute along 66 -- while going against most of rush hour -- can be a slog, especially as the state begins a multi-year construction project to widen the road. I think you are wise to prefer the NVCC Annandale campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia