Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 08:14 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,849,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Interesting.

Both Fairfax and LoCo bill twice a year. One bill is due in May and the second one is due in November.
You can pay the full year at once, like we did, if desired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 08:15 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,849,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
I have relatives who live in a state with a high sales tax. They were surprised as to how low VA sales tax is compared to their state. I pointed out to them that they don't have to pay property taxes on their car. So...basically you pay one way or the other.
I prefer it the way the other states do it, but I'm stuck living here for now.

Old 05-13-2019, 02:39 PM

294 posts, read 372,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
Much like the base tax rates, the relief rates are set by each jurisdiction. The only thing that applies across the Commonwealth is that whatever relief rate is granted applies only to the first $20,000 of the vehicle's assessed value.

In most localities, the relief rate is the same for (the first $20k of assessment value of) all cars assessed at over $1,000*. However, that's not the case everywhere; for example,
the City of Alexandria lowers the relief rate for vehicles over $20k in assessed value, and makes it still lower for vehicles over $25k. Since the relief would only apply to the first $20k in value regardless of whether a car is assessed at (for example) $20k, $23k or $27k, the $27k vehicle would get the fewest relief dollars of the three. I haven't made an exhaustive study of car tax rates by locality, but from what I've seen, Alexandria's setup with the sliding relief rate above $20k is not common.

* -- Under an older version of the car tax law, cars worth 1k or less were effectively exempt from personal property tax; the relief rate was set at 100%. After the law changed in 2006, localities were to start collecting taxes on those vehicles, but many of them enacted special provisions to continue to provide 100% relief for them.
Wow, thanks for the thorough answer! I am in Fairfax County and my car was under 20k when I bought it new, so I guess I shouldn't need to worry too much

Old 05-13-2019, 02:54 PM

6,380 posts, read 4,215,838 times
If you thinking about increased or unfair taxes no’s, wait until Medicare is open to all US citizens and people who are in this country and not citizens as well as free college for all.

There will be a whole lot more taxes than just luxury tax on vehicles��

Old 05-13-2019, 03:24 PM

22,489 posts, read 12,036,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
You can pay the full year at once, like we did, if desired.
We like doing it twice a year. It's a psychological thing You don't feel like you're paying a huge amount. In our poorer days, paying it once a years was sticker shock for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I prefer it the way the other states do it, but I'm stuck living here for now.

Yeah, I prefer that the sales tax be higher and have no car tax.

There are people who pretend to live in MD but actually live in VA. They use a fake address in MD to avoid the car tax. Some years back, MD cracked down on that. In one instance, they found over 60 people using a Mailboxes etc. box as a residential address.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:50 PM

15,150 posts, read 27,830,067 times
Sadly, many people rent around here, keep their MD tags so they don't have to pay. Enforcement is pretty much nil.

Personally, I think if you live in Va., pay the tax (it's not that much unless you have a luxury car in which case you can afford it) - it covers police, fire, etc. protection.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:46 PM

97 posts, read 113,312 times
We pay once a year in Fx.
I feel the car tax in Virginia is excessive and counter productive. If most other states charge a annual property tax but in a different manner than car tax, that is a hint right there. I would say there is some merit to a car tax, but (Northern) Virginia takes it to the extreme.

of course as a long time resisdent, I plan around it with 2006 Prius and a 2009 minivan that depreciated quickly, not paying much (Yet). But I'd like to get a Tesla (not really, just kiddin).

Old 05-29-2019, 01:44 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,086,939 times
Virginia has the second-highest personal property tax of any State.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:57 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,429,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Virginia has the second-highest personal property tax of any State.
Source? Have you never heard of NJ or NY?

You'd rather pay higher property taxes or a local income taxes? They are going to get your money one way or another...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia