Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 09:49 AM

9 posts, read 6,097 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I am in the process of moving to Northern Virginia for work at Bolling AFB in DC.

After a few months of online searches and a quick trip to the area, we have narrowed down a few homes. Specifically we like a few homes at Potomac Shores in Dumfries and some new homes at Mill Station Way also in Dumfries. I would appreciate if anyone can provide input about the area and specifically any information about NVP, INC (I did a quick search but the information is over 5 years old).

Quick info about us:
Family of 4 - 2 kids ages 2 and 8.

Top budget is about 650K and we prefer "newer" or updated homes. Hence most "newer/updated" homes in Fairfax are out of our budget.

So a few questions:
1) I am told that in addition to the $180 HOA at Potomac Shores, you have to pay an additional $1400 annually for the association, can someone elaborate?
2) For those living at Potomac Shores, what has been your experience? The area seems nice but wondering if paying an additional $3600 (Monthly HOA and the $1400 Annual) a year for the privilege is worth it.
3) We like this new build at Mill Station Way but after a quick google search, found some horror stories about NVP, Inc and the poor quality of their homes. Has anyone had positive experience or what is the general consensus?

I appreciate any input/advice you all have.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 10:58 AM

197 posts, read 167,245 times
If you value ur kids education over having a nice house in an evolving neighborhood I would suggest mentally getting comfortable with a commute and looking outside and south of eastern pwc and dumfries. If you can afford 650 you can afford to be pickier. What you read about nvp is probably true.

If 650 is your budget you can look south in embry mills and up 235 near captain nemo school (colgan). That bolling/diac commute will suck regardless of where you start it.

650 can find you nice place in aldie and maybe gainsville.

If you guys are dead set on p shores there is a generation of buyers trying to get out that will get you a good deal. Fairly new resale’s facing downward pressure from new sales and even a new section of eagles pt.

People bk there are nice enough to talk to. Ask em about the good and bad (drag racing and petty theft). Covington school scores and experience. John paul the great if they have kids in there instead of Covington.

http://schoolquality.virginia.gov/sc...mentary-school

Math, english and equity issues. One thing about epwc is thr schools wont change score wise

Big decision. Choose wisely and not just off aesthetics and self image. Inleft a neighborhood of that.. also be leery of the lower priced townhouse sections. The 700k buyers were not told about the price drops that bring mixed quality company.

Again good luck it’s pretty back there

Old 06-16-2019, 12:06 PM

22,511 posts, read 12,057,887 times
You want to live in Dumfries and commute to Bolling AFB? Are you prepared for a long commute to and from work?

Old 06-16-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You want to live in Dumfries and commute to Bolling AFB? Are you prepared for a long commute to and from work?

What type of commute are we talking here? Distance was about 30 miles so I was assuming 45 minutes to 1 hour?

Old 06-16-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallystoppedlurking View Post
If you value ur kids education over having a nice house in an evolving neighborhood I would suggest mentally getting comfortable with a commute and looking outside and south of eastern pwc and dumfries. If you can afford 650 you can afford to be pickier. What you read about nvp is probably true.

If 650 is your budget you can look south in embry mills and up 235 near captain nemo school (colgan). That bolling/diac commute will suck regardless of where you start it.

650 can find you nice place in aldie and maybe gainsville.

If you guys are dead set on p shores there is a generation of buyers trying to get out that will get you a good deal. Fairly new resale’s facing downward pressure from new sales and even a new section of eagles pt.

People bk there are nice enough to talk to. Ask em about the good and bad (drag racing and petty theft). Covington school scores and experience. John paul the great if they have kids in there instead of Covington.

Covington-Harper Elementary School - Prince William County Public Schools | Virginia School Quality Profiles

Math, english and equity issues. One thing about epwc is thr schools wont change score wise

Big decision. Choose wisely and not just off aesthetics and self image. Inleft a neighborhood of that.. also be leery of the lower priced townhouse sections. The 700k buyers were not told about the price drops that bring mixed quality company.

Again good luck it’s pretty back there

Thank you for the detailed response. The high price is concerning especially if you're telling me they may lose value. I suppose a wise option will be to rent for the 1st year and take our time looking at places. My only concern was the prices in the area skyrocketing due to Amazon HQ and the general price inreases and realtor told me that what next year you will get a lot less house for the same price.

Old 06-16-2019, 01:13 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,687,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waj1980 View Post
What type of commute are we talking here? Distance was about 30 miles so I was assuming 45 minutes to 1 hour?
That will be the best case scenario and that assumes you leave around 5:30 AM. I live a little north of Potomac Shores and get to work at 6AM at the Navy Yard. Commute is getting worse day by day.

I agree with the other poster, if you have $650K, go elsewhere. Get an older home in Fairfax County and enjoy much better schools.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:47 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,898,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
That will be the best case scenario and that assumes you leave around 5:30 AM. I live a little north of Potomac Shores and get to work at 6AM at the Navy Yard. Commute is getting worse day by day.

I agree with the other poster, if you have $650K, go elsewhere. Get an older home in Fairfax County and enjoy much better schools.
agreed

Old 06-17-2019, 11:39 AM

6,571 posts, read 8,426,843 times
Quote:

I agree. Better schools, better mood (less commute), and more time with your family. Personally, I'd put more value on those things than a shiny new house.

You have a healthy budget. While you might not get brand new, you can get a nice house closer in.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waj1980 View Post
Thank you for the detailed response. The high price is concerning especially if you're telling me they may lose value. I suppose a wise option will be to rent for the 1st year and take our time looking at places. My only concern was the prices in the area skyrocketing due to Amazon HQ and the general price inreases and realtor told me that what next year you will get a lot less house for the same price.
i have coworkers in the same boat... wait and see is wise if its a bubble... but Amazon is pretty much a game changer throwing the market into uncharted waters. If it creates a housing "crisis" like out west... waiting may not be the best option.

However... I would say choose wisely. And yes..as far as that commute.. if you can get to bowling and do a 5-1/6-2 shift it may not be too bad. (hotlanes going to dc may change things tho). Otherwise you are in for a turrible (barkely voice) commute. And don't speed around there... there is a very accurate speed camera.

if your wife/sig other is pushing the purchase... shop around. Be picky.. if you can afford 650 you can afford to be picky. And im a realist. If you have cultural concerns... go visit the areas. Aldie seems pretty diverse...

I would hate/love to say your realtor is right. I say hate because if its true and its not a bubble then its game over man for some of my friends who may have aspirations of SFH's in good areas. I do love the idea of maintaining values however. Where we purchased in ashburn, i was told recently it was the last SFH area availible. I didn't know this when we purchased. I type all that to say... I felt we overpaid for what we bought.... but then our builder made a bunch of "spec" houses that really were just the default model. For a minute the overpriced units didn't move... then amazon happened and a metro sign went up. And they are sold out... i would never has bought them... especially knowing the options the owners never even got the option to choose. Smart builder controlled their cost and delivery timelines...

Anyways... don't sleep on the nice TH's with the roof top terraces and outdoor spaces. Way more imagination in them than the last 3+ decades of THs.

I say don't rest on your laurels.. but be picky. You don't want to be in the early exit gang during a possible bubble...
Case in pt...
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...38027797_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...25703444_zpid/

They are competing with new sales and old ones...

if you don't care about a commute..
bristow, gainesville, haymarket, alide, ashburn (Resales)

for example this is near some family
https://www.zillow.com/community/pro...86738645_zpid/

And on the other side of prince william
https://www.zillow.com/community/hol...85592979_zpid/

i mean its not like your taking the vre to bolling...

Old 06-17-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:

burke burke burke

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...51933179_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia