Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 08:50 AM

30,662 posts, read 18,282,617 times

Advertisements

Hey team!

I'll be moving to NoVa soon and will be living at Cameron Court in Alexandria. Looking forward to seeing all of what the area has to offer.

I'll be working in Maryland (still DMV area). I understand that the commute with be brutal during the rush hours, but was really set on living in Virginia (swing state, baby ).

Anyhow, just writing to ask for insight into the area around Cameron Court on Foundry Way in Alexandria. Given that there is a Whole Foods less than a mile away, I'd imagine that the surrounding area is pretty decent. Still, I'm interested in hearing about any shady areas and do's and don'ts for the area. I lived in DC proper for 3 months some years ago, but never really ventured into NoVo.

Thanks so much in advance for the assist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 12:01 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,573,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Hey team!

I'll be moving to NoVa soon and will be living at Cameron Court in Alexandria. Looking forward to seeing all of what the area has to offer.

I'll be working in Maryland (still DMV area). I understand that the commute with be brutal during the rush hours, but was really set on living in Virginia (swing state, baby ).

Anyhow, just writing to ask for insight into the area around Cameron Court on Foundry Way in Alexandria. Given that there is a Whole Foods less than a mile away, I'd imagine that the surrounding area is pretty decent. Still, I'm interested in hearing about any shady areas and do's and don'ts for the area. I lived in DC proper for 3 months some years ago, but never really ventured into NoVo.

Thanks so much in advance for the assist!

1. Nothing shady there, that I can think of.

2. That said the walk to the whole foods from there is under a large elevated road, and past some currently mostly empty (?) parking lots, so not the most vibrant walk (a Wegmans anchored development just broke ground on one of he parking lots)

3. There is a hi rise and some THs under construction pretty close by, not sure of the noise impacts.

3. Personally, though I love Alexandria, I would not commute from Alex to Md just for politics, there are still things one can do politically in Md.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
1. Nothing shady there, that I can think of.

2. That said the walk to the whole foods from there is under a large elevated road, and past some currently mostly empty (?) parking lots, so not the most vibrant walk (a Wegmans anchored development just broke ground on one of he parking lots)

3. There is a hi rise and some THs under construction pretty close by, not sure of the noise impacts.

3. Personally, though I love Alexandria, I would not commute from Alex to Md just for politics, there are still things one can do politically in Md.
Thanks for that all!

I'll probably be driving mostly everywhere unless I'm out jogging, but its good to know about the path to Whole Foods.

And I hear you about the commute. While politics does play a huge part in my decision, it isn't mainly because of the state's status as a swing state Rather, I also appreciate certain other liberties that I'll have in VA that in certainly wouldn't have throughout much of MD.

All in all, though, I'm very excited about the move!

Old 07-25-2019, 11:11 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,898,639 times
I could never be paid enough to do that commute. And i lived in SoCal. One accident and the hour will morph into a 2+hour commute one way.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:31 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,843,493 times
Where in MD? The commute wouldn't be bad to every part of MD. Something tells me, though, that yours will be really bad.

Also, Virginia isn't really a swing state anymore. It's blue like Maryland.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Where in MD? The commute wouldn't be bad to every part of MD. Something tells me, though, that yours will be really bad.

Also, Virginia isn't really a swing state anymore. It's blue like Maryland.
Fort Meade.

I've researched the travel time that it takes to come to and from work at different times of the day from Cameron Court. When I'd be leaving to work, I'm looking at 45 minutes to an hour. Leaving work, I'm looking at more time, which varies based on time I leave from work and whether I avoid highways or not. Currently, it takes me about 35 minutes to drive from home to work where I am now; walking to highway and driving off base adds to that time. So I'm used somewhat lengthy travel time, though my new commute will be longer (and sometimes considerably so).

And VA isn't as blue like Maryland. Not even close, though it hasn't swung at the presidential level since 2004 Of course, that's only one reason why politics play a role for me in the state; gun politics are also important to me as they are much more favorable there than in MD.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I could never be paid enough to do that commute. And i lived in SoCal. One accident and the hour will morph into a 2+hour commute one way.
Yeah, this is definitely the biggest downside for my decision to live in NoVa, but ultimately I'm still looking forward to it. Where I am now, there are plenty of people with 1-2 hour long commutes (across 25 miles or so) due to traffic. They dislike the commute time, but are generally happy with where they are at. I'm hoping that everything else I'm looking forward to in Virginia makes it worthwhile for me. Note, I have friends who lived in NoVa who worked at Fort Meade . . . they didn't mind the commute but cautioned that its not for everyone, which is clear to me.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:50 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,236,443 times
Quote:
Fort Meade.
And VA isn't as blue like Maryland. Not even close, though it hasn't swung at the presidential level since 2004 Of course, that's only one reason why politics play a role for me in the state; gun politics are also important to me as they are much more favorable there than in MD.
Alexandria is probably as blue as Maryland's DC-area suburbs. So, yeah, "as close", because you won't be in Fredericksburg or other place south or west of NOVA.

I once had a job at Goddard (south of Ft Meade) and commuted from Alexandria. I'm glad I don't any more, but the commute wasn't as bad as when I commuted from Arlington to Rockville.

Cameron Court and its surroundings are fine. Nothing shady I can think of. The immediate area is nondescript (and nothing scenic), but Hoffman Center is very close by with restaurants and a movie theater. Like you said, there's a Whole Foods not too far away, and then you get into Old Town. I'm not sure if you had any specific questions; "do's and don'ts", nothing really comes to my mind. Don't speed, how about that one? Speed limit is 25 in most of Alexandria, but 35 on Eisenhower going west of Cameron Court. Do enjoy Alexandria. I do.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
gun politics are also important to me as they are much more favorable there than in MD.
Not to start a discussion of substance (please!) on that but just FYI, lots of people in NoVa are working really hard to get the General Assembly to change our gun laws. Someone I know in Fairfax is a major activist on that. You will find, in general, people in the City of Alexandria even more supportive of those kinds of changes than people in Fairfax.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Don't speed, how about that one? Speed limit is 25 in most of Alexandria, but 35 on Eisenhower going west of Cameron Court.

I do wonder if someone planning a commute from there to Ft Meade is going to be generally respectful of speed limits on local streets. IME, some of our fellow citizens who are most adamant against complete streets, lower speed limits, etc are people who do reverse commutes or long intersuburb commutes.

It would certainly be better for our region (and our planet) if more people who have the option chose to live closer to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia