Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 02:31 PM

7 posts, read 7,955 times

Advertisements

I moved to Old Town, Alexandria, a few months ago, to be closer to work, but I've only really been starting to explore the neighborhood and nightlife scene over the past few weeks.

There was a lot I liked about Old Town years ago whenever I would come down here to meet girls for dates. I would go to places like the La Tasca, and felt like it was generally very clean, upscale, and like it had "its own thing going on." People seem to agree that the social scene in Old Town is very organic. I figured years ago: "Wow, if I ever lived here, I wouldn't even need to go to into DC, or anywhere else really."

I'm a single, professional guy in my mid-30's. I have a great job, and make a great living, but I'm not from here, and generally don't know people outside of the small group of male friends I have. I'm still largely interested in going out, having a social life, getting drinks, and meeting new people.

I wouldn't say that "trolling for women" is really the *main* focus, but I will say that after-work happy hours with the guys, sports, largely same-sex meetups, and lots of nights out in DC with my single guy friends on weekends, definitely leaves you feeling like you're missing something, after a while.

Now that I'm getting out and about, talking to people, and checking out tons of places along King St., I'm starting to get this sneaking suspicion:

Is Old Town Alexandria just for people who already moved here WITH the social groups they've already established, and couples that have already been together for a while, and they simply just hang out with those people, with no interest in talking to anyone around them?

It seems like every time I go out, it's date-night all around, or "drinks with the 7-8 friends from high school" night.

Huge groups will come in, and grab long tables in the dining areas and just chat amongst themselves all night. I would wonder if it was like a set, special event or something, but then other groups just as large would come in throughout the night and all do the same thing.

I gave a buddy of mine a call about grabbing beers one night. He doesn't live in Old Town, but nearby, and it had simply never occurred to him to go hang out in Old Town. He's single as well.

So on a Saturday night, we ended up going to a well known major bar on King St. I commented, "Man, if you're looking for a woman to talk to, with ratios of women to men like this, you can't go wrong!"

-- and he aptly responded, "Yeah, but everybody's out in like groups of 20."

I also like cigar lounges, and the one here with the live music is really cool, but it seems like just a place where tall guys with beards take their hot girlfriends. I've gone several nights, and the crowd was never really any different from night to night. Am I wrong?

So my question is, what gives?!! Am I just picking the wrong locations?
Are there better locations in Old Town for talking to/meeting new people who aren't just there to hang out with their huge groups they brought with them?

Is Old Town simply the wrong pick, if I'm looking for an area that's a little more socially conducive? I don't need to live this close to work, and would trade up if there's a better part of town.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 02:52 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Getting to know your neighbors helps, have you tried any Meet Up groups? In this area, as I'm sure you are aware, many people are busy w/work, etc. - you need to just get out there, talk to people - unfortunately when we aren't kids anymore, it can be hard to make friends - need to work at it.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:23 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,618 times
I think we are about the same age. I honestly didn’t realize that people still picked people up in bars.

If I am out with my friends (usually one to three people), my focus is on being with them and talking with them. It’s not on meeting guys. If my friends wanted to meet someone, they’d be on the apps and set things up that way. I can’t remember the last time a friend told me that they started dating (or even went home worth someone) who they met at a bar. They meet people through apps, friends, or through activities they are involved in (rock gyms, CrossFit, hiking groups, adult sports leagues, etc.).

I always thought that Old Town was more for older people and date nights myself. Some of the nightlife has turned over recently too with the closing of PX

Old 09-12-2019, 03:58 PM

Going out to bars is still seen as a social thing, and not just a thing for you and your set group of people you came with, apparently, everywhere but here.

I was out last weekend and ran into a guy who just moved his brother down from NYC to Old Town, and was just out getting a drink. He said “I just don’t understand this going-out-in-groups thing.”

He described what he’s used to seeing as basically smaller, more intimate gatherings, or even people rolling solo, out and open to talking to new people, and that this was the first time he’s ever seen so many people out with groups only.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:28 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,892,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Town-Newbie View Post

I also like cigar lounges, and the one here with the live music is really cool, but it seems like just a place where tall guys with beards take their hot girlfriends. I've gone several nights, and the crowd was never really any different from night to night. Am I wrong?
pretty much the scene you'll come across at 219, but I wouldn't say it's much different than any other lounge in the area (Shelly's Back Room for example)..

Old 09-12-2019, 07:49 PM

25 posts, read 25,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Getting to know your neighbors helps, have you tried any Meet Up groups? In this area, as I'm sure you are aware, many people are busy w/work, etc. - you need to just get out there, talk to people - unfortunately when we aren't kids anymore, it can be hard to make friends - need to work at it.
There's a group on Meetup that goes to Old Town Happy Hour bars. I'm not a bar person but live in the area and most people meet others by sports activities-running/biking/hiking or work. In order to meet others, I'd urge you to join a local Meetup group and/or volunteer. Or find friends at work.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:26 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,618 times
There are bars I frequent where single people or small groups pop in to hang with no set agenda. They have friendly bartenders and also league nights for pool or darts. They are around. But I don’t know if anything in OT. They are mostly in the burbs.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:46 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Have you considered going to Port City Brewing (not in Old Town, but not far, easy bike ride, etc)?

They have events for yoga, jogging, bike rides, I think trivia, etc.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Have you considered going to Port City Brewing (not in Old Town, but not far, easy bike ride, etc)?

They have events for yoga, jogging, bike rides, I think trivia, etc.
I’m not familiar with it but will check it out for sure.

Old 09-13-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
There are bars I frequent where single people or small groups pop in to hang with no set agenda. They have friendly bartenders and also league nights for pool or darts. They are around. But I don’t know if anything in OT. They are mostly in the burbs.
Yeah, there’re a few of those; I ran across those back when I was part of a Northern Virginia young singles meet up that mostly had its stuff going on in western Fairfax/ Loudoun; so usually you’re talking about a bar in a strip mall, but there were some gems in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: