Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2020, 08:39 PM

356 posts, read 605,961 times

Advertisements

We just moved here from MN for husband's job. He is working at Tyson's Corner. We are looking in Herndon, Sterliing and Reston and staying in extended stay hotel.

Would love to hear pros and cons of each.

We are mid 50's, no kids, social. We have two dogs, like parks, restaurants, pubs.

I saw a post from about 1.5 years ago that Reston is a bit more active, and a couple like us might feel isolated in Sterling. What about Sterling would make it that way?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 09:11 PM

22,461 posts, read 11,986,290 times
Sterling is more family oriented. Childless couples, be they empty nesters or never had children, tend to find it isolating. I speak from experience, having lived in Sterling Park for years. Once our daughter left home, we really felt isolated. While we had nice neighbors on our street, we didn't see them very much as they were busy with work and children. Also, through the years, the demographics in Sterling Park changed to the point where I rarely ran into anyone I knew.

We are now in Reston. After we sold our house, we rented an apartment in Reston Town Center, thinking it would be temporary as we looked to buy a condo. However, it didn't take us long to realize how much we both liked living there. We discovered that many retirees and empty nesters live in the area. In our building, people came up to us and introduced themselves. We quickly found what we were looking for which was to not feel isolated.

If you do decide to move into a condo or apartment, be sure there is a common area in the building. Those areas are great when it comes to meeting others. In fact, that's how we met people. Also, some apartment buildings also offer exercise related classes which helps meet others.

Most apartment and condo buildings do allow dogs. Plus metrorail is expected to get its second station in Reston coming online later this year. It is an easy commute by metrorail from Reston to Tysons Corner.

And, yes, there are restaurants and bars in the area.

As for Herndon, yes they, too, have a good number of restaurants that have bars. However, they are spread out through the area. Also, they, too, will be getting a Metrorail station. If you want to move to Herndon, take a look at the area near the future Metrorail station. There is a lot of building going on --- apartments and condos. The condos are in the form of piggyback units, meaning the first two floors are one condo and the two top floors are another condo. They do have garages but keep in mind that these are wooden structures without soundproofing. With the very newest construction, a shopping center is within walking distance where there are restaurants and a supermarket. My impression of the apartments that are being built is that they won't have common areas.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:49 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,426 times
Reston will have the easiest access to Tyson's Corner.

Your dogs will love the 50+ miles of trails in Reston.

It is a sellers market and good properties go quickly - often before they are listed.

When we moved here in 2002 we looked at Herndon, Sterling, Reston & Vienna. We are very glad that we ended up in Reston.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:08 PM

Thanks for that info. I think it was your post I saw about Sterling being isolating.

We are looking at a house. Not ready for apt or condo living yet! LOL We like having a private back yard and patio.

Will ask realtor to add Reston to home search. Looking at home in Herndon on Thurs, hopefully some open houses in Reston on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Sterling is more family oriented. Childless couples, be they empty nesters or never had children, tend to find it isolating. I speak from experience, having lived in Sterling Park for years. Once our daughter left home, we really felt isolated. While we had nice neighbors on our street, we didn't see them very much as they were busy with work and children. Also, through the years, the demographics in Sterling Park changed to the point where I rarely ran into anyone I knew.

We are now in Reston. After we sold our house, we rented an apartment in Reston Town Center, thinking it would be temporary as we looked to buy a condo. However, it didn't take us long to realize how much we both liked living there. We discovered that many retirees and empty nesters live in the area. In our building, people came up to us and introduced themselves. We quickly found what we were looking for which was to not feel isolated.

If you do decide to move into a condo or apartment, be sure there is a common area in the building. Those areas are great when it comes to meeting others. In fact, that's how we met people. Also, some apartment buildings also offer exercise related classes which helps meet others.

Most apartment and condo buildings do allow dogs. Plus metrorail is expected to get its second station in Reston coming online later this year. It is an easy commute by metrorail from Reston to Tysons Corner.

And, yes, there are restaurants and bars in the area.

As for Herndon, yes they, too, have a good number of restaurants that have bars. However, they are spread out through the area. Also, they, too, will be getting a Metrorail station. If you want to move to Herndon, take a look at the area near the future Metrorail station. There is a lot of building going on --- apartments and condos. The condos are in the form of piggyback units, meaning the first two floors are one condo and the two top floors are another condo. They do have garages but keep in mind that these are wooden structures without soundproofing. With the very newest construction, a shopping center is within walking distance where there are restaurants and a supermarket. My impression of the apartments that are being built is that they won't have common areas.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Reston will have the easiest access to Tyson's Corner.

Your dogs will love the 50+ miles of trails in Reston.

It is a sellers market and good properties go quickly - often before they are listed.

When we moved here in 2002 we looked at Herndon, Sterling, Reston & Vienna. We are very glad that we ended up in Reston.
Will definitely look there!

Do homes in REston tend to be older, or are there newer areas? We don't want a fixer or a house that needs alot of work.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksals View Post

Do homes in REston tend to be older, or are there newer areas? We don't want a fixer or a house that needs alot of work.
The newest area of Reston is North Point Village. That said, there are newer homes that are interspersed in the older areas.

Let your realtor know exactly what you are looking for and s/he will be able to narrow it down to what will suit you best.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:05 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,054 times
I would take a SFR in Countryside, Sterling over any townhouse or apartment in Reston. Many of the properties are backed up to nice trails. I would prefer Reston over Sterling Park..I can think of 100 places to meet people that would be better than apartment complex social gatherings. Those people are often transient and insecure. Sure, there are a few renting apartments long term by choice, but for most it is a matter of moving on the first chance they get..and the big apartments are known to offer intro rates, followed by hefty increases after the intro..adding to the instability. Some foolishly think that just because they pay on time and don't cause trouble, they are some kind of precious asset, when in fact, the management simply wants people paying more rent.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:15 AM

The OP is interested in buying a house.

All that said, condo buildings tend to have a less transient population than apartment buildings.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:11 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksals View Post

Building in Reston started in the mid-60's with lots of the housing stock from the late 70's to early 80's. Many of the older houses have been renovated. There is so little on the market with single family detached houses right now that if you see on you like you will most likely need to win it in a bidding war.

I was very apprehensive of this kind of real estate market when we were looking in 2002. We ended up staying in temporary housing for several months looking for a house, and passing on many we wanted because there were already too many parties in the bidding war. Looking back it wasn't fun, but it was worth it. We have a nice house that backs to the Walker Nature Center with a neighborhood dock on Lake Audubon.

Reston is a special place. Check out the Reston Association website.
Welcome to Reston Association

Also, note that there are some areas of Reston that are not part of the Reston Association.
Here is a map that shows the areas included in Reston Association and the location of Reston ammenities.
http://www.reston.org/Portals/3/2018...Map%202018.pdf

There is also a Reston Paths app - not sponsored by Reston - but it is great to use when you first start walking the paths. It uses the GPS function on the phone to show you exactly where you are in the trail system.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:19 PM

152 posts, read 179,980 times
I have lived in Herndon since 1985, and in the same single family house (outside the town limit on the north side) since 1994 after growing in the Mount Vernon area of Fairfax County.

Currently I commute to Tysons (McLean Metro Stop) and it is around a 30-35 minute commute for me not using the toll road in the morning. You can save around 10 minutes by taking the toll road. I don't leave work until around 6:30 and it is around 25-30 minutes at that time. There will be Herndon Metro Stop opening up along with a new Reston Town Center stop and the Innovation Center stop within an easy ride.

We have loved living here. You still have a little bit of small town feel downtown with the local bars and restaurants. That will probably be changing with development though. There is a music festival every Friday night during the summer (Friday Night Live) and other events in town too.

Herndon is in between Sterling and Reston so we are able to easily access either one in addition to what Herndon has to offer. Within a 6 or so mile radius of my house, we can shop at approxmately 10 or so supermarkets to include multiple Giant Foods and Harris Teeters, Trader Joes, Wegman's, Sprouts, Whole Foods, Mom's Organic and at least 4 Asian stores. There are also probably at least 50 restaurants within that same radius of almost any type you can imagine.

Parks are in abundance as well. The Town of Herndon has several parks, and Fairfax County has a large number within that same radius, not including the Reston items mentioned previously. Great Falls National Park is within 10 miles. Just across the line in Loudoun County is Alquonkin Regional Park on the Potomac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia