Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 10:50 AM

11 posts, read 5,940 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for a home, we've been looking all over the area, and the commute into the Navy Yard area is probably our biggest question mark, especially now that we can't gather any kind of reasonable data by looking at real traffic. We're trying to keep our commute to an hour or less (preferably much less but...yeah). Our days are 0715 - 1615 or thereabouts; we have some flexibility in that to shift earlier, but not so much later. Homeward commute in the afternoon is not as important as the morning timeline. We're looking at driving ourselves via express lanes as the worst case commute - we will probably use commuter options that are available to us depending on where we end up, but want to look at driving ourselves as the worst case.

We've been looking a lot at the Woodbridge area; also Herndon/Reston seems to pop-up a lot. There's plenty of stuff closer in too, but I strongly prefer a two car garage and my wife wants some space, which pushes us out more except for the occasional pop-up property that tends to disappear quickly. As I mentioned in another thread, we've been looking in the <$650K range. Appreciate any insight you all can provide.

We currently live in an apartment in Arlington but that was always going to only be a one year deal while we found a permanent single-family home to again call our own in this area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 10:55 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,708,365 times
I live in Woodbridge and work at the Navy Yard. Try you best to find something in the Springfield area. You will be happy you did. I've survived the Woodbridge commute for over 20 years. I do so by working the 6AM-2:30 shift. That has gotten worse with the addition of the HOT lanes and has made my commute longer (unless, of course, I want to pay). Springfield is really the sweet spot.

I would take a pass on Reston/Herndon for a Navy Yard commute. I know a few coworkers who have done it and most have moved. It's tough for a Navy Yard commute.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:02 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,260,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I live in Woodbridge and work at the Navy Yard. Try you best to find something in the Springfield area.

I would take a pass on Reston/Herndon for a Navy Yard commute. I know a few coworkers who have done it and most have moved. It's tough for a Navy Yard commute.
I agree don’t come to Reston or Herndon and think you are going to have a one hour or less commute to Navy Yard. Not possible on Metro. May be possible driving with HOV, Tolls and earlier hours than you stated.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:40 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times
An older, dated house in Springfield or Annandale will give you what you need. Do not expect a 3K SF new build. If you want that, plan for a commute closer to 2 hours.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
An older, dated house in Springfield or Annandale will give you what you need. Do not expect a 3K SF new build. If you want that, plan for a commute closer to 2 hours.

We've seen plenty of fully updated 2500ish sqft homes in Alexandria/Springfield/Fairfax, well within our price range. I've no need for a McMansion, though my wife would prefer it for some reason. Honestly I'd be perfectly happy staying in our apartment if not for the inconvenience of having to take our dog out rather than just opening the door. I like the convenience of being able to walk to any restaurant and store I can think of, or the Metro. That's not what she wants though, and I accept that.

So to pull more on the Woodbridge thread, the express lanes won't get us an within an hour commute? That's honestly what I've worried about despite what realtors have told us.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:07 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post
We've seen plenty of fully updated 2500ish sqft homes in Alexandria/Springfield/Fairfax, well within our price range.

Quote:
So to pull more on the Woodbridge thread, the express lanes won't get us an within an hour commute?
If the first statement is true; why are you continuing to look in Woodbridge? What is the draw of there over places much closer (and easier commutes) like Springfield/ Alexandria?

Old 04-17-2020, 11:44 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,708,365 times
Quote:

So to pull more on the Woodbridge thread, the express lanes won't get us an within an hour commute? That's honestly what I've worried about despite what realtors have told us.
Yes, they will get you to the Navy Yard in about 35 minutes upon your first entry onto them (add on the time it takes you to get TO them, which could be 5-15 minutes depending on where you live).

With only two drivers, count on spending about $12-$15 for that morning trip at the time you specified.

One other thing to add: if you are parking on the Navy Yard, most of the garages fill up by about 7:30 between Tuesday-Thursday. Arriving at 7:15 gets you in just within that time, but there could be days where you are going to be circling for a bit.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
If the first statement is true; why are you continuing to look in Woodbridge? What is the draw of there over places much closer (and easier commutes) like Springfield/ Alexandria?

My wife would prefer a bigger lot (0.25ac+) and a newer (if not brand new) home. That's easier the further out you get. She'd ideally like acreage and forest but that's not possible in our price range with a reasonable commute. It's very possible in Maryland but...I don't want to live in Maryland again.

Me, the home I grew up in was already 29 years old when we moved in and it's now just about 68 and my parents are still there.

Old 04-17-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Yes, they will get you to the Navy Yard in about 35 minutes upon your first entry onto them (add on the time it takes you to get TO them, which could be 5-15 minutes depending on where you live).

With only two drivers, count on spending about $12-$15 for that morning trip at the time you specified.

One other thing to add: if you are parking on the Navy Yard, most of the garages fill up by about 7:30 between Tuesday-Thursday. Arriving at 7:15 gets you in just within that time, but there could be days where you are going to be circling for a bit.

Thank you for that. Good data.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:12 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,295,166 times
A neighbor moved from condo in Fairfax City to Woodbridge. She wanted a big new home and to have a backyard for her dog.

She hates it. It’s lonely. No one walks their dogs. Her neighbors aren’t friendly. Her commute went from 30 minutes on a bad day to an hour on a good day.

She is planning to sell at a loss and move back into the condo community she left if she can afford to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia