Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 08:28 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,654,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Keating View Post
I never said I was in the nicest area in NoVa. But it still an upper-class area with standards, and I think that would apply to any development in which nearly all the homes cost between $900k to 1.2M. Like I said, I could afford a run down shack in Arlington for a million dollars, or a 5 bedroom brick mcmansion in Loudoun county for a million bucks as well. It's all relative. I do live in a single family home, it's just not fully detached. It looks different than the traditional Reston townhome layout.
Dude, you live in a townhouse. Sorry bud, but unless you live in McLean or Great Falls where they have real money, you're just simply upper middle class like everyone else in this area. And what standards? You live in one of the most cookie-cutter planned communities. Nothing else. It's Reston, not McLean, Great Falls or Potomac.

Unless you're in the boonies in Loudoun way out west of Ashburn, you can't buy a 5 bedroom mcmansion on an acre of land for a million bucks. You seriously need to look at real estate prices here. This isn't NJ or wherever you came from. A million bucks is barely a SFH in this region. There are even townhomes IN Loudoun that sell for over a million.

But imagine a guy in a townhouse trying to act like he's better than someone because they drive a 19 year old PT Cruiser. And the having to go on a forum to justify telling HOA about it.

The owner of that car most likely has no car payment and isn't in debt with a fancy Lexus to keep up with the Joneses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 10:43 AM

947 posts, read 1,404,362 times
I think we are all missing the most tragic element of this whole situation: if passing by the PT Cruiser with its owner at the wheel, the OP will never be able to roll down his window and ask, "Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?"

For anyone not old enough to get this reference, check out the following classic commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwOCOm9Z0YE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho61-oaU6wo

Old 04-29-2020, 10:51 AM

947 posts, read 1,404,362 times
Quote:
And for any Restonites on here, this is on Beacon Heights Drive which is the Lake Audubon section of town.

Oh, and by the way, as a fellow resident of Reston, I should let you know that several years before you moved into Beacon Heights, some miscreant stole the brass letter "E" from the sign out front so that it read "Bacon Heights" for quite a while (true story). Fortunately, as far as is known, while visiting from 'Tater Hollow Crik Billy Bob and Daisy Mae never pulled in thinking there was a Waffle House on site.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS67 View Post
I think we are all missing the most tragic element of this whole situation: if passing by the PT Cruiser with its owner at the wheel, the OP will never be able to roll down his window and ask, "Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?"

For anyone not old enough to get this reference, check out the following classic commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwOCOm9Z0YE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho61-oaU6wo
Classics! I miss those commercials.

Old 04-29-2020, 11:04 AM

20,187 posts, read 9,083,605 times
Quote:
I never said I was in the nicest area in NoVa. But it still an upper-class area with standards, and I think that would apply to any development in which nearly all the homes cost between $900k to 1.2M. Like I said, I could afford a run down shack in Arlington for a million dollars, or a 5 bedroom brick mcmansion in Loudoun county for a million bucks as well. It's all relative. I do live in a single family home, it's just not fully detached. It looks different than the traditional Reston townhome layout.
I sold my home on 5+ acres in Great Falls 10 years ago because of cookie cutter developments like Reston expanding. Quality of life issue for me too much congestion. Didn't have a neighbor close enough to notice my 12 year old pickup truck. You're right, it's all relative when judging who the riff-raff is.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:01 PM

41 posts, read 24,122 times
Quote:
If I do that, they will definitely apologize, agree with me, scrap their PT Loser, head on down to the Lexus dealership and come home with a brand new LS500 in the same day for sure!

In all honestly though, they'd probably seem apologetic but then avoid me at all costs in the future.
Unfreaking believable...you have the gall to believe you would get an apology. Guess all our comments went through your brain like water over a log.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I remember when there was no Reston. No Dulles, no beltway. It was all farmland owned by the distiller A. Smith Bowman. Route 7 was a two-lane road, one traffic light in Tysons, next one was in Leesburg.
Right there with ya, Skeddy.

Grew up in Great Falls when we had Buck's store--no 7-eleven. Those were the days. We were called "hicks in the sticks" by McLeanites.

Who's laughing now? But I miss those days...

Old 04-29-2020, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ffxdata
Has it not occurred to you that they have a nanny or house keeper? This could be their car.
Quote:
Good point, I guess.
Now the story changes...making this entire thread look more like a troll. You said in your original rant: "I've noticed that the PT cruiser leaves the house each morning at 7 and comes back home around 5, which suggests that it's a daily driver car."

So obviously this isn't a nanny if they leave the house every day--unless they "nanny" for someone else.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaLover View Post
Unfreaking believable...you have the gall to believe you would get an apology. Guess all our comments went through your brain like water over a log.
Don't you know? They should get rid of their car that works and is paid for because OP thinks it's fugly and go into debt for a 60K Lexus because OP needs to see new beautiful cars to keep up with his prestige 950K townhouse in Reston!

Old 04-29-2020, 02:18 PM

329 posts, read 226,277 times
I am one of those people driving an old car because I can't yet afford to buy a newer one. In the meantime, I have to say that I believe there are many, many people who think the way the OP does. It's not all that unusual, but it is quite unusual to be that forthright about his feelings, especially on a public forum. (In any case, I do understand his point of view).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia