Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 11,048 times

Advertisements

These posts have been so informative, I have really enjoyed reading such thoughtful and "professional" advice. My family is moving to NOVA in July. My husband will be working at the Pentagon. I have done tons of research and decided on the following areas to concentrate on renting for a year, with an eye to buy in perhaps the next year:

Alexandria
Arlington
Burke
Dunn Loring
Fairfax Station
Vienna

We have 3 small children who will be in the public school system, and since both my husband and I have advanced degrees, education is very important to us - along with being in an area that values education. We would like to be in proximity to a cultural and vibrant area yet still live in a "family-friendly" locale, i.e. someplace with backyards and playgrounds.

We love old home construction, so would like to be in an area that has some pre-1950's era housing.

Can I ask some of you seasoned posters to let me know which areas (out of those I have listed above) I should really be concentrating on? Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 12:41 PM

488 posts, read 1,746,244 times
Alexandria
Arlington
Vienna

thats where I would live, if I wanted a pre 1950's house.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:13 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberLiz View Post
These posts have been so informative, I have really enjoyed reading such thoughtful and "professional" advice. My family is moving to NOVA in July. My husband will be working at the Pentagon. I have done tons of research and decided on the following areas to concentrate on renting for a year, with an eye to buy in perhaps the next year:

Alexandria
Arlington
Burke
Dunn Loring
Fairfax Station
Vienna

We have 3 small children who will be in the public school system, and since both my husband and I have advanced degrees, education is very important to us - along with being in an area that values education. We would like to be in proximity to a cultural and vibrant area yet still live in a "family-friendly" locale, i.e. someplace with backyards and playgrounds.

We love old home construction, so would like to be in an area that has some pre-1950's era housing.

Can I ask some of you seasoned posters to let me know which areas (out of those I have listed above) I should really be concentrating on? Thank you so much in advance.
Out of those choices i like Burke the best. Throw West Springfield in there also. Both are great family areas with good schools that have good express bus transportation to the pentagon.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:24 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
You didn't indicate your housing budget, which will be the single most important factor. But based on the rest of your post, I'd suggest Arlington. The schools are great, particularly in North Arlington (South Arlington is home to a number of lower-income immigrant communities, which tends to drag down test scores in those schools), there is a TON of older housing, and your husband's commute would be very short. If you live near the Metro, you might even be able to get by with one car. Arlington is full of highly-educated families, so there are many parks, playgrounds, and pools. Arlington is also very diverse -- your neighbors will be from all over the country and the world, which makes for great restaurant options. You can buy a SFH for about $600K (and up, of course).
Burke and Fairfax Station are much newer communities, mostly built after 1970. Alexandria has the older housing stock, but the schools get mixed reviews.
Vienna is very nice, but the pre-1950s housing stock is more limited.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:13 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I think Alexandria and/or Arlington (Annandale as well) - there are many various styles of homes. I commute to Pentagon City for instance (from West End Alex.) - I do the bus/Metro. I leave my house, walk to the bus and am at Pentagon City w/i 1/2 hr. to 45 mins. (depends if the bus is on time, etc.). I used to drive but it's way more hassle.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:34 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
There aren't very many historic homes in the Burke area, but there are a few really nice ones (I believe in the at least 600K+ range). But the vast majority of Burke was built in the 70's and 80's. West Springfield started going up in the 60's & 70's.

I love the historic homes in Old Town Alexandria, but I'm not sure about the quality of the schools there.

Old 05-03-2008, 02:10 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,322 times
North Arlington probably has what you're looking for. Older homes in a range of styles ("colonial", craftsman, 30s/40s era contemporary, etc.) Schools are excellent and the county's high schools are currently being rebuilt for a grand total exceeding $300 million.

There are plenty of parks/playgrounds, and many homes' backyards border on some very attractive forested areas (Donaldson Run, Woodmont, Bellevue Forest, Dover Crystal, Cherrydale, etc.) There are also some popular private pool/recreation associations, and the Washington Golf & Country Club.

Upper Northwest DC also has plenty of old, attractive homes and very good elementary schools, but mixed results for the public junior highs and high schools.

Last edited by irvine; 05-03-2008 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-20-2008, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,645 times
Default Burke House

Hi,

If you end up looking in Burke let us know. Good luck with your move!

-Mark

Moderator Cut: Real Estate Advertising

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-20-2008 at 10:54 AM..

Old 05-21-2008, 07:35 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
if you can afford it...north Arlington.

All the Areas are good though and I too would throw Burke and West springfiled in...but as someone said not too many pre 1950's in htere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia