Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 05:33 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,500,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioil View Post
Its this one
https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-...iew=gallery,12

Its 511k or so. The lady said they spent 80k on the designer and charged 30k for the package. It is 3 floors so kinda bad but it is by itself so no up or downstair neighbor. Also its Ashburn so kinda barren. The design does look really neat and I doubt I can ever decorate it like that... I probably just leave everything empty lol... Idk if it is worth it or not... or even possible to negotiate down.

Interesting the unit was built 2016 so it took them 4 years to sell to last unit..
They usually sell the model units last so it probably reflects that it took 4 years to finish the project.

Ignore what the lady said about their costs, you do not care about that, but focus on the $511K. Now you have a price range to start looking for and comparing places in a more desirable area to you. This is your starting point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 06:19 AM

155 posts, read 132,203 times
This might be a serious dumb question...but can I get a unit furnished to some degree like that one but not as a model home? Is it solely dependent on what packages the seller has? For example,, i would love some of the wallpaper designs on some model homes i seen but i am not good diy person...I guess I could hire someone..Wonder if it is a negotiating point at all?

Old 10-29-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
This might be a serious dumb question...but can I get a unit furnished to some degree like that one but not as a model home? Is it solely dependent on what packages the seller has? For example,, i would love some of the wallpaper designs on some model homes i seen but i am not good diy person...I guess I could hire someone..Wonder if it is a negotiating point at all?
I would assume that if you found a furnished unit you could get it furnished for a price, but my opinion is that the price would be higher than you could do it for by yourself by a significant margin and the furniture will be used and not of what I would consider good quality.

If you do not wish to do it yourself hiring an interior decorator that has a look that you like may be cheaper and better.

EDIT: Personally I am not even sure why you are buying at all. You could probably get a furnished executive suite in an area that you like more that will be furnished and come with some services. You do not seem interested in it as an investment, you do not seem to want the maintenance and area seems important for you. A rental may be a better choice in your specific case.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:00 PM

22,513 posts, read 12,061,154 times
Is it near One Loudoun? If so, if it is walkable to One Loudoun that's an advantage as there are places to eat and shop there.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Is it near One Loudoun? If so, if it is walkable to One Loudoun that's an advantage as there are places to eat and shop there.

No its 9 miles. I also noticed Tollbrothers have some modeled home in westfields which is close to where I live.

Also, i did talk to boulevard VI people again... seems sales starting very soon and there are 100+ people interested so they expect quick sales initially. I know I shouldn't let that drive me to quickly sign the paper but in the middle of fairfax is popular, even if the traffic might be an issue. She also reiterated no negotiation on price since it is a hot commodity.

I do want to move to new place because my current place is bit old and if i upgrade to an apartment near where i live now i probably end up paying 2k all said and done... even if whatever i buy break even, i would've came up on top.

I do like couple of the model homes but its just the 3 floors up and down real pain. I guess that is the price for 2k+ sqft since the unit has to be on top. Not sure how the boulevard VI will pan out with 2 bed 2 bath den.

Btw, with many duplexs around and be considered as Condo, is it worth while to look at townhouses if its 2-3 floors since they would designate as townhouse and not have big HOA fees?

Old 10-29-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
No its 9 miles. I also noticed Tollbrothers have some modeled home in westfields which is close to where I live.

Also, i did talk to boulevard VI people again... seems sales starting very soon and there are 100+ people interested so they expect quick sales initially. I know I shouldn't let that drive me to quickly sign the paper but in the middle of fairfax is popular, even if the traffic might be an issue. She also reiterated no negotiation on price since it is a hot commodity.

I do want to move to new place because my current place is bit old and if i upgrade to an apartment near where i live now i probably end up paying 2k all said and done... even if whatever i buy break even, i would've came up on top.

I do like couple of the model homes but its just the 3 floors up and down real pain. I guess that is the price for 2k+ sqft since the unit has to be on top. Not sure how the boulevard VI will pan out with 2 bed 2 bath den.

Btw, with many duplexs around and be considered as Condo, is it worth while to look at townhouses if its 2-3 floors since they would designate as townhouse and not have big HOA fees?
Sometimes townhouse communities pay higher HOA fees due to the fact that the HOA more often than not, is responsible for plowing the streets in the winter. That is because they aren't under VDOT control. For example, when we had our house the single family houses were on a VDOT controlled street so the HOA didn't have to worry about hiring someone to plow. So...with the single family houses, the main expense paid from HOA fees was trash, recycling and yard waste pickup. The townhouses had the plowing expenses which made for higher HOA fees. Any maintenance of common areas was also carried by SFH owners and TH owners.

If you buy into a townhouse condo community, fees will be higher---not only for street plowing but also sidewalk plowing and mowing everybody's lawns

So...always ask what the fees are and what they cover so that there are no surprises for you.

To me, if the choice is a piggyback unit or a townhouse, I would take the townhouse be it 2 or 3 stories. Often with the 3 story townhouses, you don't get a basement. All the floors are above ground.

Old 10-30-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Sometimes townhouse communities pay higher HOA fees due to the fact that the HOA more often than not, is responsible for plowing the streets in the winter. That is because they aren't under VDOT control. For example, when we had our house the single family houses were on a VDOT controlled street so the HOA didn't have to worry about hiring someone to plow. So...with the single family houses, the main expense paid from HOA fees was trash, recycling and yard waste pickup. The townhouses had the plowing expenses which made for higher HOA fees. Any maintenance of common areas was also carried by SFH owners and TH owners.

If you buy into a townhouse condo community, fees will be higher---not only for street plowing but also sidewalk plowing and mowing everybody's lawns

So...always ask what the fees are and what they cover so that there are no surprises for you.

To me, if the choice is a piggyback unit or a townhouse, I would take the townhouse be it 2 or 3 stories. Often with the 3 story townhouses, you don't get a basement. All the floors are above ground.
I did take a look around and i found couple in ashburn but i just dont "feel " the place. I did see
https://www.ryanhomes.com/new-homes/...glen-townhomes

which is in herndon and it is close to work and other places so I would definitely take a look till then. But after some searching i think the following i am keeping close eye on:

https://www.khov.com/find-new-homes/...at-pender-oaks

https://www.nvhomes.com/new-homes/co...tation/addison

https://www.tollbrothers.com/luxury-...Fairfax/Walney

https://www.boulevardvi.com/

I think besides the stairs, i do want spacious bath(would love a jacuzzi in master bath like my sis's place), smart linked, gourmet kitchen and i feel those kinda puts me in the 2000+ sqt feet category for multi story units. I think single floor condos can pull it off and that's remain to be seen with boulevard VI.

Old 10-30-2020, 03:51 PM

The NV Homes in Woodland Park Station is a great location. It's close to the Herndon Metrorail station. You can walk to a Harris Teeter to do your grocery shopping or get something to eat.

NV and Ryan are part of the same company. Both the homes we once owned were built by Ryan. We liked the first home so much that when we were ready to trade up, we bought another Ryan Homes. Plus, at the time, since we were buying our second Ryan home, we got a small discount on the purchase of our second home.

The Fosters Glen location, from what I can see from the map is probably not far from the Innovation Center Metrorail station. If I had to guess, though, it's not walkable to there. I haven't looked at the location where it is lately so I can't say if they have added any shopping or restaurants there.

You're still considering "boulevard vi"?

Old 10-31-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I would look at talking to the in house sales person the same as talking with a car salesman. They may be telling the truth or they may be stretching the truth a little. Do not let the salesperson pressure you into buying.

Old 11-01-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
The NV Homes in Woodland Park Station is a great location. It's close to the Herndon Metrorail station. You can walk to a Harris Teeter to do your grocery shopping or get something to eat.

NV and Ryan are part of the same company. Both the homes we once owned were built by Ryan. We liked the first home so much that when we were ready to trade up, we bought another Ryan Homes. Plus, at the time, since we were buying our second Ryan home, we got a small discount on the purchase of our second home.

The Fosters Glen location, from what I can see from the map is probably not far from the Innovation Center Metrorail station. If I had to guess, though, it's not walkable to there. I haven't looked at the location where it is lately so I can't say if they have added any shopping or restaurants there.

You're still considering "boulevard vi"?
Does it matter if the duplex is considered 2 floor condos not townhouses?

I am considering boulevard vi because I haven't seen it and on paper it looks appealing - location, new,customization etc. I suspect the sqft probably be sub 2k for 2 bed 2 bath with den.... is a good sqft nowadays 2000?

The model home in Ashburn i am gonna check it out. It is with no up or down neighbor which is nice. Furnished is nice but I know it is still overpriced in that respect. Being in Ashburn is still a strike since its bit far from my fav amenities... but if the price can be negotiated down a lot maybe worth the hassle?

BTW, how much price can be negotiated down with last sales? And what can be negotiated on in the middle of a phase of sales? I know boulevard vi realtor made clear no price negotiation initially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia