Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 05:33 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,006,870 times

Advertisements

Depending on what happens with COVID, we may try to come out @ Christmas this year for a visit to check out the area for possible relocation.

So far we're most interested in Alexandria (that may change when we come out). In particular Old Town and Del Ray. Possibly Rosemont, but it doesn't appear there are many (if any) apartments there. Braddock/Braddock Heights?

Can anyone recommend other walkable neighborhoods for us to check out in Alexandria?

We'd be renting, and would prefer to be in a modern apartment building that has amenities (gym, etc.). We're older (but active and not by any means elderly) so don't want to be in a party central area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 07:21 AM

37 posts, read 30,204 times
I don't know if you are lumping that in with Old Town, but Eisenhower is a possibility. Potomac Yard might be an option too.

Old 04-18-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonS View Post
I don't know if you are lumping that in with Old Town, but Eisenhower is a possibility. Potomac Yard might be an option too.
Thank you. Eisenhower East?

Old 04-18-2021, 08:33 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
If by walkable you mean reasonable walking distance to shopping, dining, and entertainment, then Old Town and Del Ray are the main spots. Potomac Yards is a relatively new addition, but currently the nearby businesses are mainly a Giant grocery store and the stores at Potomac Yards shopping center. That area along Rt 1 is under a lot of development, and I'm sure a lot will change in the coming years in terms of new businesses.

If you're seeking a modern apartment building, then Rosemont is out. I walk to Old Town and Del Ray from Rosemont, but the neighborhood is mainly single family homes, town houses, duplexes, and some 3-4 story older apartment buildings.

In terms of new apartment buildings, the most development I've noticed in Old Town has been in the Parker-Gray neighborhood (northwest quadrant). For example, along Pendleton St. between West St. to Patrick St.

Another option with new apartments is at E. Monroe Ave and Main Line Blvd. It's a very short walk to a grocery store, CVS, YMCA, coffee shop, and not much farther is the main part of Del Ray (Mt Vernon Ave).

Additionally, there is the Carlyle area, between Duke St and Eisenhower Ave.

Last edited by robbobobbo; 04-18-2021 at 09:48 AM..

Old 04-18-2021, 09:43 AM

37 posts, read 30,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Thank you. Eisenhower East?

Yeah, it's the same as Carlyle.

Old 04-18-2021, 10:28 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
I'm not a renter but what about the big apartment complex across from the Van Dorn Safeway shopping center?

Old 04-18-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
If by walkable you mean reasonable walking distance to shopping, dining, and entertainment, then Old Town and Del Ray are the main spots. Potomac Yards is a relatively new addition, but currently the nearby businesses are mainly a Giant grocery store and the stores at Potomac Yards shopping center. That area along Rt 1 is under a lot of development, and I'm sure a lot will change in the coming years in terms of new businesses.

If you're seeking a modern apartment building, then Rosemont is out. I walk to Old Town and Del Ray from Rosemont, but the neighborhood is mainly single family homes, town houses, duplexes, and some 3-4 story older apartment buildings.

In terms of new apartment buildings, the most development I've noticed in Old Town has been in the Parker-Gray neighborhood (northwest quadrant). For example, along Pendleton St. between West St. to Patrick St.

Another option with new apartments is at E. Monroe Ave and Main Line Blvd. It's a very short walk to a grocery store, CVS, YMCA, coffee shop, and not much farther is the main part of Del Ray (Mt Vernon Ave).

Additionally, there is the Carlyle area, between Duke St and Eisenhower Ave.
Ahh, good point. I should be more clear what I mean by walkable. Not looking for walk to shops, restaurants and entertainment per se, though that would be the ideal case. Just a place where one can drive, park and then walk to a multitude of things - shops, restaurants, etc., so I guess I mean having a "core" in the neighborhood.

We would also be open to an older rental like a small row home in Old Town but I think that's going to be way out of our 2K price range.

What's the difference between Old Town and Old Town North?

Old 04-18-2021, 05:39 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
What's the difference between Old Town and Old Town North?

Old Town North would be another good spot with newer apartments. The difference from the "classic" Old Town is that Old Town is known for its colonial period homes, particularly east of Washington Street, whereas Old Town North is late 20th and 21st century housing. When people think about Old Town, they likely picture its quaint old section, whereas Old Town North is more modern. There are parts that have more open space, rather than streets of row houses. The parks along the river are nice and not crowded like around the Torpedo Factory in the heart of Old Town.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:52 PM

25 posts, read 25,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonS View Post
Yeah, it's the same as Carlyle.
Yep, there are a lot of apartment buildings going up in the area. Close to two Metro stations, 495/Duke Street and two grocery stores(if Wegman's ever comes in. And you are close to walk to Old Town. River is about 1.5 mile walk or run.

Old 05-01-2021, 04:55 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,725,256 times
What about Kingstowne? It's not Alexandria proper, but has an Alexandria address. There are a lot of walking trails, restaurants, stores etc. and more importantly a mix of apts, townhouses and SFH. Easy access to all of the DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: