Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:39 PM

176 posts, read 541,705 times

Advertisements

THanks for your input KathyR. Is your son in PWC Claremarie?
Maybe they take it more seriously as a pullout when the FT Center is not an option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 07:26 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
I grew up in PWC and did the gifted education program there. It wasn't entirely a waste of time, but it wasn't a life altering experience either. I can't imagine how putting "gifted" elementary (or evem middle school) students in a seperate school is a good idea. Its just too young.

I went to the magnet high school at Thomas Jefferson which was definately a unique experience. Not all of the uniqueness is positive... commuting to TJ from PWC was a trying experience 10 years ago, and I'm sure its worse now. Even though its labeled "science and technology" its a little bit of a misnomer. Its a pretty well rounded education in all subjects.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 PM

4 posts, read 12,796 times
Fairfax has gifted centers for children in grades 3 through 8. Children are place in Centers after testing and recommendations in 2nd grade.
[url=http://www.fcps.edu/DIS/gt/index.htm]Gifted and Talented Programs, Instructional Services Department[/url]

If you move to Fairfax county do not move into an IB school district. With one exception the IB schools are the lower performing schools.
[url]http://www.fairfaxcaps.org/newsletters/pdf/reportcard.pdf[/url]

I totally disagree on the progressive junk. Your son needs a REAL education, in real, not fuzzy math, real writing, not whole language, real history, with dates. Watch out for schools trying to dazzle you with computers, art and 'new techniques' that usually means they can't dazzle you with academics. Most parents of gifted learners care more about academics than art. Most of those parents don't fall for every new fad that comes down the educational pike.
GT centers don't need to teach to the test, their kids pass easily.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:52 PM

4 posts, read 12,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewmn View Post
Thanks Claremarie! Agian, helpful points on the drills. I wish I could put him in a private school with a more creative approach, but can't afford that- unless private schools are much cheaper here since they are far more prevalent. I know that the kids at the top of the curve get ignored, which was why I was wanting a GT program where, theoretically, he will be in GT classes (in Fairfax, anyway). I guess my theory being that they only way he wont be ignored is if he is in a class with all GT kids.
Could you tell me why you consider this type of program a waste of time? I know that there is the chance he wont be approved for the program (I am thinking his odds are better when he starts out K in it), but if he is then Fairfax would have to scrap that part of the system for his needs not to be met and I gotta think tha a bunch of rich parents who are likely using the GT programs as a status symbol would be fighting to keep them. I am not happy about the elitism, but it seems much better to me than the boredom and drills.
thx
Why do you think that your child won't be ignored in a GT class? GT center classes are usually larger than classes at a base school. Since FCPS went with an affirmative action program for all GT centers, there isn't much chance of it being elitist. Every center has children who need remedial help and children at various levels in each classroom, just like every other classroom in the county.

What's wrong with drills to learn math facts? It sure beats the fuzzy math in the current books, "Everyday Math". If your son is at all interested in math, I strongly suggest that you avoid any school that uses that series. It's horrible, and that's the opinion of the best middle school math teacher in FC. Seriously. I'm just a mom of two gifted kids, with 20 years or so in the subject of GT education. But I trust the opinions of the best. He has NO use for this fuzzy math or any other unproven educational fad.

For a child as bright as yours, I would strongly recommend doing what many GT parents are now doing, home schooling. It's really the only way your child will have his needs met, to be educated and to continue a love of learning.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:46 AM

176 posts, read 541,705 times
Thx Bong- thought it was truloy just advanced in technology areas- that had me very confused.
SueB1- I agree with you about homeschooling, but am not confident in my math and science skills for higher grade levels, nor am I organized and eficient enoughto do a regular school routine. He needs someone who can provide far more structure. He is also very social and wants to be with other kids every day (he is an only child). He thrives with hands-on learning and moving about the classroom, so that is why I am looking for "new techniques" He did especially well with Montessori. Alas, I can not afford private school at this time.
As for whi I hate drills- he likes to learn something and then move on. He gets very frustrated with repetition. I am concerned about the pacing and figure in any classroom where there are kids lagging behind he will get bored and start doing things like messing up his own work (he has done things like color over his worksheets while waiting). He does well with self-directed work, where he finishes one task and can choose another himself. True, he will learn not to do these things as he learns what to expect in a school envirnonment, but he is used to much freedom and exploration as his learning path- something that usually doesn't fit well with traditional techniques. So I am torn between unique approaches in non-trad schools (at the Elementary level only- I agree that Jr High and up should be the "real" stuff) and GT centers. I am concerned about how you were describing those centers though. Are they very crowded?
I tend to think some of the best ways to reinforce academics is with the "fun stuff"... with art and music. I believe in integrating foofy stuff into the academics. Guess I am one of those other parents, because music builds intelligence and pattern recognition ( I was a violinist until college) and creativity is too important to be shoved out the window for academics. So I am stuck trying to find something well-rounded. Hence the draw to the magnets.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:49 AM

47 posts, read 198,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueB1 View Post
Why do you think that your child won't be ignored in a GT class? GT center classes are usually larger than classes at a base school. Since FCPS went with an affirmative action program for all GT centers, there isn't much chance of it being elitist. Every center has children who need remedial help and children at various levels in each classroom, just like every other classroom in the county.
This is true. I read a scathing indictment of FCPS over the way they select students for TJ. It's worse than the Texas' Cheerleaders.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:03 AM

47 posts, read 198,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueB1 View Post

What's wrong with drills to learn math facts? It sure beats the fuzzy math in the current books, "Everyday Math". If your son is at all interested in math, I strongly suggest that you avoid any school that uses that series. It's horrible, and that's the opinion of the best middle school math teacher in FC. Seriously. I'm just a mom of two gifted kids, with 20 years or so in the subject of GT education. But I trust the opinions of the best. He has NO use for this fuzzy math or any other unproven educational fad.
A-men. I scored 670 on the Math SAT (28 years ago, when scores were lower), and a 730 on Numeric GRE. I never took an AP (or IB) class, and didn't take Calculus until my second year in college. The number one reason that I did so well on this test is my fourth grade teacher Mrs. Bloch.
Mrs. Bloch had us do a math fact worksheet, at least once a week, that required us to correctly answer 100 facts in less than five minutes. You had to know the facts backwards and forwards. Every math lesson after that just built on knowing the facts. Division, fractions, decimals, and Algebra. There have always been critics of standardized tests; usually from the NEA and under performing school districts. This "Math Investigations" (PWCS) is a tax-payer ripoff fraud--it was outlawed in California (among others).

I will also credit my decent writing abilities to Dr. S. John Davis (former Superintendent of FCPS). Dr. Davis had this idea that every FCPS student would have a "perfect paper" on file for him to see upon random inspection. A perfect paper was no easy task. If they tried doing that in PWCS, they would be crying "Racism." The perfect paper requirement is what enabled me to succeed at JMU. Freshmen English 101 is a difficult class there; the kids from Richmond and rural VA have a real tough time. The first day of class my professor, a Ph.D. from Duke announced that a misspelled word was an automatic "F" (before the day of spell check). The University thought that it was such a good idea, they promoted him to Head the English Department. Call it "tough love" if you like, but it works. Making paper dolls, and graduating kids that don't know math(s) and English, does not.

What's most sickening to me about the public schools is their tendency to glamorize under achievement. Everyone gets a trophy, no one is ever a loser, score will not be kept at ballgames, etc...Hey, winning and losing is the American way. Today's kids are fatter and dumber--make no mistake about it. The fat cats in the school district offices should take more of the blame than anyone. I would love to see a state law that caps school administrator pay; fewer would leave teaching for the higher paying jobs NOT working with students.

Last edited by sundevil85; 05-23-2008 at 07:18 AM..

Old 05-23-2008, 08:25 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Having had 3 kids in 3 different states etc... I was very NON-math fact drills when my eldest stated them in 1st grade. (memorize...pressure etc...)
BUT..... she is now in 8th grade and has finished pre AP Algebra with a 94 avg. PA drilled the facts in the kids heads from 1-4th grade, by the time the were doing higher math...the facts just came to them, they don't have to think about it.
Math is a subject that builds on itself, getting those basic building blocks is key to understanding higher math.

now my youngest is in 2nd grade....no fact drills here in texas, she is struggling with mulitplication and division... she can't reacall her facts quickly so triple digit addition and subtraction are taking her a long time to complete....
We will be doing home drills this summer!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia