Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 02:01 PM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times

Advertisements

A few people have already noted that you should by law be registering the car in Virginia.

It should also be noted that regardless of what state the car is registered in, if the car is primarily garaged in a Virginia county you are legally responsible for paying personal property tax on it (potentially on a pro-rated amount if it was only here part time). While registering the vehicle in NY makes it harder for the county to know that you have a car located there and may increase your chances of "getting away with it", it does not legally absolve you of paying the taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 04:16 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
A few people have already noted that you should by law be registering the car in Virginia.

It should also be noted that regardless of what state the car is registered in, if the car is primarily garaged in a Virginia county you are legally responsible for paying personal property tax on it (potentially on a pro-rated amount if it was only here part time). While registering the vehicle in NY makes it harder for the county to know that you have a car located there and may increase your chances of "getting away with it", it does not legally absolve you of paying the taxes.
About 30 years ago my wife was just out of college. She moved to VA and was driving a car her parents owned and let her borrow. She wasn’t tying to avoid taxes. She just wasn’t aware that the car had to be registered with the county. After a few months she got a notice on her windshield. When she went to the county office to register it it was a hassle and a run around because the name on the title wasn’t hers because she wasn’t the owner of the car. The person said she should register the car in VA and transfer the title to her name, but she obviously couldn’t just take over ownership of the car.

Old 03-01-2022, 08:26 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Can you cite an example? Suggest VA or NY for the example, ,but if it’s most states, any example will do. I have never heard of this, so just curious. I’m not challenging your post. I think it might be good rule.
I was actually ticketed by a d-c in in Missouri, for driving my Missouri car with a Kansas DL. I was warned about the 3-state rule in Maine for CA plates and OR DL, and some place else, too, forgot where.

Reciprocity and the Uniform Traffic Code suggest a form of the same must exist everywhere.

It gets a lot more complicated when counties get into the act..

Last edited by arr430; 03-01-2022 at 08:40 PM..

Old 03-02-2022, 08:06 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I was actually ticketed by a d-c in in Missouri, for driving my Missouri car with a Kansas DL.
Then that is not an example of any 3 state rule.... it involved 2 states LOL. Only you can explain the full situation, but I can only guess that maybe you moved from one side of the line to another and did not change both license and registration? And being questioned in Maine about OR and CA documents is just that, being questioned, not being illegal. So a citation of an actual law is needed here. I cannot find any reference to any such law....

Best guess: What this may refer to is general provisions in some (most?) state laws that make a state's license and registration laws apply to non-residents in the same manner as if they were residents. So if a particular state's laws (like VA) say that you need to register the vehicle and get a driver's license in that state as a resident, then it may be presumed that the non-resident must do the same thing in their home state.

It is not uncommon for people to live primarily in one state and have car(s) registered and driver's license in that state, while having a 2nd home in another state with a separate vehicle registered in the 2nd state. Driving that 2nd car into a 3rd state is not illegal. You may want to carry proof of property ownership for both states, if you think you might get questioned if and when you may be pulled over.

All state have provisions for out of state owners to register cars in the state. Cars at 2nd homes is one reason, and businesses from one state with offices and employees in another state is another example. Example: I am a VA resident but also own property in WY and will be registering a camper in WY soon because it will stay in WY. I already checked with WY.... no problemo. The same will happen eventually with a small pickup truck that will stay in WY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia