Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:43 PM

10 posts, read 38,328 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm moving to the D.C. area this summer for an internship. I'll be working in D.C. but living in Alexandria. Although I plan to take the Metro to work during the day, will I need a car to get around Alexandria on the weekends and during the day?

Where I'm living has free parking.. so that's a plus. The housing is located off of Kingstowne Village Parkway and is NW of the Coast Guard station there. Halfway between the Coast Guard and Manchester Blvd actually. Zip is 22315. Just West of the Northern tip of Huntley Meadows Park. Also appears to be just east of an area on the map called Franconia.

I don't have a physical address yet so this is all I know about the area.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 03:00 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
From what I know of Kingstowne, you can technically get by without a car, but your life will be much much easier if you can bring one. Weekend and non-rush hour bus routes are usually limited, so if you're depending on that it can be a hassle.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:30 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,377,607 times
I'd agree. I think you really have to be walking distance to a Metro station for a car-free lifestyle to be convenient. I know someone in Springfield that does it, but he's walking distance to the Franconia-Springfield station, the mall, grocery store, etc.

Huntley Meadows is kind of out there. It can definitely be done without a car, but it's not convenient.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I don't know that area that well, is it Alexandria City or Fairfax County? (I think it's Fairfax). My area for instance (City) I can walk to a Dash bus-stop not too far away so that's alot of options and could go w/o a car if you don't need to carry heavy groceries, etc.

I can also walk to a grocery store, drugstore, several restaurants.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:17 PM

10 posts, read 38,328 times
I know a little more since my last message. It's approximately near the intersection of Edgeware Ln. and Stoddard Ct. That's about a mile east of the Franconia-Springfield Metro Stop. There is a nearby Fairfax Connector Bus stop (Is that the same as a Dash stop?). It looks like this bus runs to the Metro stop.

The F.C. Bus runs during the week, but not at all on the weekends.

I might add that I'm departing from Oklahoma.

I'm not sure what County it's in, but it is an Alexandria address.

Thanks!!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:21 PM

40 posts, read 208,459 times
I would you say that you absolutely need a car from that locale. I am surprised that is an Alexandria mailing address that far out.
It sounds that you would be dependent on bus service in order to get to the Springfield metro station, which is at the end of the line. It will take a long time to get anywhere.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:46 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I have to agree, you need a car - it is pretty far out (I didn't want to specifically say that although I was thinking it's out there). I cannot attest to how frequently the Fairfax Connector buses run or what they might be able to take you to. Sorry.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:30 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
You'll be in Kingstowne in Fairfax County. It's a great community -- two neighborhood pools, two fitness centers, tennis courts, pools, and other amenities. But you'll be too far to walk to Metro so you will need to take the bus there. Having access to a car will definitely be helpful for weekends. However, if that's really not possible, you could get a cab to and from the Metro for around $10.00 (may be a little higher now due to gas prices) and get around the area by Metro on the weekends. You'd have to call a cab to get to the Metro but cabs are lined up there to take people home.

Will you be sharing your place with someone who has a car? Subletting for the summer, or staying with the regular homeowners? Here's the Kingstowne website. It has information on what's available to residents and how to get passes to use the pools and facilities:

Kingstowne Residential Owners Corporation Home Page

Looking at the map below, where you see Kingstowne Blvd./Manchester Boulevard, are the shopping centers. Too far to walk carrying groceries but otherwise you could get there if you don't mind getting some exercise! The closer side (near King Centre Drive) has Wal-Mart and Kohl's; the opposite side has a variety of stores, a bunch of restaurants, and a multiplex movie theater. On Friday nights in the summer the shopping center has a farmer's market and free concerts.

Map of Edgeware Ln & Stoddard Ct Alexandria, VA by MapQuest

Old 05-22-2008, 09:08 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
That is about a mile from my house. You will need a car. There is lots "within" walking distance, but as another posted, you won't want to carry groceries home. It is a nice place to live, but isn't urban at all, lots of people running and walking etc, but for pleasure not really out of necessity. You will have good bus lines to the metro, but only during the week as you already know.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:13 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
You will need a car. I live in Arlington, one of the true locales in NoVa where you could technically get by without having one and I still feel the need. There are a lot of things within walking distance in this area but it usually requires taking your life in your own hands by walking along insanely busy roads. You might not need one in say Old Town but since you live in the Fairfax County portion of Alex. outside the beltway, you aren't in the most pedestrian friendly area. Plus you have free parking so there is a major problem solved right there.

I always tell people who are new to the area and debating not having a car that for every walkable or transit friendly destination in this region are several others that are only accessible by car. For instance you won't be able to walk to Annapolis for the day or head over to Tysons for some shopping (although Pentagon City is an option). You can't go out to Loudoun County and tour wineries or to Harpers Ferry WV and go canoeing without a car. If you go to a concert chances are it will likely be out at Nissan Pavilion in PW County and you will definitely need a car to get out there. Even city neighborhoods such as Georgetown or the Zoo area are in my opinion easier to access with your own car than by taking metro and then having to take a cab or walk.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia