Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 10:44 AM

21 posts, read 123,198 times

Advertisements

Hi again.

As I said in my previous post about the metro. I am new to public transportation. With my new job, I am also going to be new to wearing dress slacks with a shirt and tie to work. Prior 2 careers I wore jeans and even shorts to work when I was a network admin. Why did I get an accounting degree again? I am starting to wonder.

Anyways, I was wondering what other professionals do and dress when they have to take public transportation and the weather is bad, like raining and snowing?

Do you carry your dress shoes in a bag of some type?
What about your dress slacks?
Do people just wear them with long rain coats to cover them?

These might seem like stupid questions to some, but this is an entirely new experience for me, and I just don't know what the common thing to do is.

What about bags to carry work stuff?
What type is the most common and where are good places to buy them?

I am sorry that I am such a newb. Being 38 and dealing with all of this stuff for the first time is a little overwhelming. I am not as bold and adventurous as I used to be.

Again, thank you all so much for your help and consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 11:23 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
A lot of people, especially ladies, wear sneakers to work and carry their dress shoes.

You could put those shoes, your brown-bag lunch and other essentials in a messenger bag, which you can find at any luggage store and many department stores.

Carry an umbrella and you should be fine. Most if not all Metro stations have a canopy so unless the wind is blowing the rain/snow sideways, you won't get wet. If the forecast does call for windy rain, an overcoat wouldn't hurt. No need to store your slacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaillus View Post
Hi again.

As I said in my previous post about the metro. I am new to public transportation. With my new job, I am also going to be new to wearing dress slacks with a shirt and tie to work. Prior 2 careers I wore jeans and even shorts to work when I was a network admin. Why did I get an accounting degree again? I am starting to wonder.

Anyways, I was wondering what other professionals do and dress when they have to take public transportation and the weather is bad, like raining and snowing?

Do you carry your dress shoes in a bag of some type?
What about your dress slacks?
Do people just wear them with long rain coats to cover them?

These might seem like stupid questions to some, but this is an entirely new experience for me, and I just don't know what the common thing to do is.

What about bags to carry work stuff?
What type is the most common and where are good places to buy them?

I am sorry that I am such a newb. Being 38 and dealing with all of this stuff for the first time is a little overwhelming. I am not as bold and adventurous as I used to be.

Again, thank you all so much for your help and consideration.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:29 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
A lot of people, especially ladies, wear sneakers to work and carry their dress shoes.

You could put those shoes, your brown-bag lunch and other essentials in a messenger bag, which you can find at any luggage store and many department stores.

Carry an umbrella and you should be fine. Most if not all Metro stations have a canopy so unless the wind is blowing the rain/snow sideways, you won't get wet. If the forecast does call for windy rain, an overcoat wouldn't hurt. No need to store your slacks.
Tone509 is right--many people carry their dress shoes and wear sneakers. As the weather gets cooler, you might want to consider getting a trench coat with a removable liner if you have to wear a suit for work.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:16 PM

593 posts, read 2,439,115 times
Men's Health had an article on this last year, and they had a great idea: Keep an extra set of work clothes stowed away at your office at all times. Could be a lifesaver if you end up trudging through slush on your morning commute, or especially the dreaded accidental coffee spill all over that shirt before a big meeting.

I keep handy:
-1 dress shirt, already pressed
-1 pair of dress khaki pants, pressed
-extra pair of dress shoes, the kind that will match most outfits
-pair of clean socks

I work in a pretty casual office, but one of my friend's workplaces is more formal and he also keeps a spare blue blazer and tie.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:31 PM

21 posts, read 123,198 times
thanks this is some great advice. I wonder if I will have some place to store spare clothes.

I have flat feet and will have a 4 to 5 block walk from the metro to my building in DC, so the sneakers will come in real handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia