Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 05:16 AM

349 posts, read 1,430,625 times

Advertisements

Go to Flight Radar or one of the other flight tracking websites and look at the approaches planes take to Dulles relative to where you want to live.

Dulles has three parallel runways running north-south tracking along 28. IME flying from Dulles about half the time we landed each direction and if I recall correctly the western most runway was used almost exclusively for landings. IThe two runways east of the terminals were split between takeoffs and landings. There's also a runway where planes take off to the west and I noticed we flew over Brambleton when using that runway. I'd imagine that OneLoudoun and eastern parts of Ashburn get a lot of noise from those southbound approaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 06:20 AM

318 posts, read 367,821 times
Don't be lured in by the newish houses and all the hype, you are better off in a smaller home inside the beltway. Commutes are horrid and this area is always going to take the hardest hit in a real estate down market

Old 07-18-2016, 06:40 AM

66 posts, read 71,646 times
I don't like blanket statements like "commutes are horrid" from Loudoun. There is a large concentration of jobs from Reston to Ashburn in the IT related industries that make parts of Loudoun more commuter friendly than inside the beltway. IMO Reston is probably one of the best locations for someone in the IT related field to live.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:34 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elial View Post
We are new to the area and are considering buying in Ashburn Village near Dulles. We have heard different things about airport noise there, from "it's awful and our deck vibrates " to "we noticed it at first but not anymore." Does anyone living in or around that area have any comments? We would really appreciate it. Thanks!
My mom lives in the South Riding/Stoneridge area and she encounters airplane noise, but I think her feeling is more of the 'noticed it at first but not anymore'. Unless it's really horrible you probably get used to it.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:27 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
You're going to get the noise at some point during the year regardless where you live w/n a 20 mile radius of the airport. It all depends on which way the winds blow, as planes come/go nose to the wind. That being said, we used to live in Broadlands (next to Brambleton), and during the warmer periods, would watch planes hang in the air over Brambleton without a sound to be heard on our deck. In the winter months (since we were north of Brambleton), we'd probably have a 1/2 dozen buzz over us as they took off. We moved to Leesburg, putting another 10 miles or so (crow flies) between us an Dulles. Rarely do we hear plane noise like we did in the old house, but on occasion we'll hear it.

You get used to it though, and it's actually pretty cool if you're into airplanes at all. You get to see some of the world's most impressive passenger planes on a daily basis. In my family, we're up to 4 remote controlled airplanes, two helicopters, and looking at a drone. Kids love it.

Look at Google Earth, look at the runways in particular. Don't have either end of either one pointing directly at your house, and you'll be better off. East/west runway practically points directly at Brambleton. North/South is S. Riding(ish).

Old 07-18-2016, 11:12 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,653 times
I recall Waxpool Rd being more noisy then airplanes. If you are really concerned knock on the neighbor's doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia