Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 03:10 AM

1 posts, read 7,208 times

Advertisements

We are new to the area and are considering buying in Ashburn Village near Dulles. We have heard different things about airport noise there, from "it's awful and our deck vibrates " to "we noticed it at first but not anymore." Does anyone living in or around that area have any comments? We would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 05:38 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
you could move to Gainesville/Haymarket and not deal with this

Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
We live in Asburn Farm and it doesn't bother us. There is only about 2 times a day that I notice it...around 2pm and around 11pm. (Must be larger planes on that schedule) It doesn't bothe rus one bit. I have toddler twins and it doesn't wake them during nap time or at night. (Most of the time I don't even notice the noise at all)
I guess it all depends on your sensitivity to noise.
Good luck! Ashburn Village is very nice and you will have access to the sports pavillion. We almost bought a home there but then found one in the Farm that was a bit better fit for us.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:00 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,325,339 times
That's a shame about the jet noise.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:26 AM

847 posts, read 3,352,726 times
You don't get to move next to an airport and then complain about the jet noise. If you don't want to deal with jet noise, don't move next to an airport.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:01 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
When we first moved here, we rented an apartment in Herndon very close to the airport. HATED IT! It was quite a nuisance and woke up my child quite often in the early morning. It's a scary sound to little kids.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:09 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Doesn't the airport alternate the routes so that the same homes aren't being flown over constantly?

Old 06-09-2008, 10:31 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
You don't get to move next to an airport and then complain about the jet noise. If you don't want to deal with jet noise, don't move next to an airport.
Very true. But now I'm going to complain about it..

Actually, I think the windows/insulation in our house is very poor, that's why we hear the planes so well. Sometimes the noise is so bad that they wake all three of us up. Since we're renting, we can't do anything about the windows/insulation. But as a noise sensitive person, I don't seem to be able to get used to it.

I've asked around in the neighborhood if others are disturbed by the airport noise and mostly they say no. So I've come to the conclusion that the noise isn't bad unless you live in our house, haha. Someone once posted a great map about the airport noise "boundaries" in the area..

Old 06-09-2008, 10:41 AM

280 posts, read 1,072,786 times
I was recently looking at houses and we purchased in Aldie - we have no trouble at all with the air traffic here. We did look at some houses in Ashburn and the plane noise was very distracting. I'm talking about the Cameron Chase area by the ice skating rink. I would check out the noise contour map.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:49 AM

847 posts, read 3,352,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Very true. But now I'm going to complain about it..

Actually, I think the windows/insulation in our house is very poor, that's why we hear the planes so well. Sometimes the noise is so bad that they wake all three of us up. Since we're renting, we can't do anything about the windows/insulation. But as a noise sensitive person, I don't seem to be able to get used to it.

I've asked around in the neighborhood if others are disturbed by the airport noise and mostly they say no. So I've come to the conclusion that the noise isn't bad unless you live in our house, haha. Someone once posted a great map about the airport noise "boundaries" in the area..
There are a lot of people who don't want to ever admit that there's a drawback to a decision they've made, like moving to a particular place. Other people (like me) can't figure out that's up with them. But anyway, when there's an obvious problem like airplanes flying overhead all the time, and the neighbors all insist that it's not a problem at all, you can be pretty sure that it really is a big, glaring problem that they're embarrassed enough about to have consciously decided to ignore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia