Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:59 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,153,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
People should draw their own conclusions; it's not like either of us is getting paid to volunteer their thoughts on the topic. As one renowned Asian spokesman stated, "let a hundred flowers blossom."
There MAY be something to that though. Asian immigrants (at least the first generation) TEND to be socially more traditional and MAY be more comfortable with schools that emphasize traditional schooling ethos. But I agree there is not enough evidence to support such a conclusion. They are certainly more inclined toward schools that emphasize math and science and less to humanities as we all observed earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
That's exactly what I want. I want people to mix and everyone to participate, not just within their own ethnic groups. Instead what I see are some groups "self-ghettoizing".
And what are these "some groups"? Asians again?

Instead of making sly suggestions with obvious subtexts, why not just come out and say what you really mean?

Recent immigrants, by necessity, often "self-ghettoize." It has very little to do with skin color.

Last edited by IndiaLimaDelta; 06-17-2010 at 12:09 PM..

Old 06-17-2010, 01:01 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,291,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
And what are these "some groups"? Asians again?.
You could be right about that. Have also seen it with groups from other continents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta
Instead of making sly suggestions with obvious subtexts, why not just come out and say what you really mean?.
I think I've been clear enough. You've done a good job keeping up with what I've been saying. However, will be happy to clarify anything you don't understand.

Quote:
Recent immigrants, by necessity, often "self-ghettoize." It has very little to do with skin color.
I don't think I mentioned anything about skin color. Agreed on the recent immigrants. Asians tend to mix more out West where a lot more are multi-generational American.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Would love to except I'm working too many other threads right now. Will get back to this when I have more time. Thanks though for sharing.
Time enough to make anti-Asian remarks, no time to back them up. Very typical of your modus operandi.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:35 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,291,520 times
Quote:
Time enough to make anti-Asian remarks, no time to back them up. Very typical of your modus operandi.
What anti-Asian remarks?

Old 06-17-2010, 01:39 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,958,898 times
Quote:
There MAY be something to that though. Asian immigrants (at least the first generation) TEND to be socially more traditional and MAY be more comfortable with schools that emphasize traditional schooling ethos. But I agree there is not enough evidence to support such a conclusion. They are certainly more inclined toward schools that emphasize math and science and less to humanities as we all observed earlier.
Perhaps that's because there are more jobs available for those who can do math and science (engineering, doctors, physicists, chemists) and those jobs tend to pay better than jobs available for humanities majors. Just a guess.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:39 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,579,856 times
I think the original question has been answered adequately. Is it possible to lock this thread?

Old 06-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I think I've been clear enough. You've done a good job keeping up with what I've been saying. However, will be happy to clarify anything you don't understand.
Oh, I understand you fine. You claim, often by sleazy implications, that Asians only stick to their kind ("racists!"), don't participate in larger civic life of the society ("selfish leeches!") and avoid school districts with black and Hispanic kids ("racists!" again).

If not, tell me, what did you mean by this?
Quote:
Instead what I see are some groups "self-ghettoizing".
You meant "Asian," but now you are going to change your story to include "people from other continents" in an effort avoid looking like the anti-Asian bigot you are.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,958,898 times
Quote:
Excellent observation. Thank you for that. I did notice that Jewish demographics and profession in this region are fairly different from other metropolitan areas.
How are Jews different in this region than elsewhere? Aren't they largely professionals everywhere? How are the demographics different? Other than fewer Jews here in NOVA than some other urban areas, like NY?

Jews and Asians seem to have a lot in common. Both groups stress tradition, family, education, and working hard to get ahead. Very similar to all other past ethnic groups who have immigrated to America and become successful.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
Perhaps that's because there are more jobs available for those who can do math and science (engineering, doctors, physicists, chemists) and those jobs tend to pay better than jobs available for humanities majors. Just a guess.
Yes and perhaps also because these are areas where objective measurements for achievement are easier to obtain. If an Asian pupil outscores another pupil in a math test, it's hard to argue that he is not the better student. Compare this to, say, literature interpretation class where a teacher could exercise personal affirmative action (against an Asian pupil) and there would be little objective evidence to argue ("His interpretation is not as subtle, what can I say?").

So it may be a doubly rationial decision to pursue such disciplines, i.e. 1) higher paying jobs and 2) less likely to be discriminated. Mind you, I am NOT suggesting Asian pupils ARE discriminated in non-quantitative professions, merely that their parents, fearing discrimination, may gear their kids to fields with more objective measurements for achievement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia