Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:27 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting example of how overall test scores can be deceiving. We have an elementary school here in Mount Vernon, Stratford Landing, that scored higher overall on the SOLs than another school, Riverside. However when they broke out the scores by race, they discovered that both the white and black kids scored higher at Riverside than at Stratford. The difference in overall scores was just a result of a difference in demographic mix. So which one is really the "better" school?

I will admit that we're wandering way off the OP's original topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 03:30 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Here's an interesting example of how overall test scores can be deceiving. We have an elementary school here in Mount Vernon, Stratford Landing, that scored higher overall on the SOLs than another school, Riverside. However when they broke out the scores by race, they discovered that both the white and black kids scored higher at Riverside than at Stratford. The difference in overall scores was just a result of a difference in demographic mix. So which one is really the "better" school?

I am no advocate of using test scores as an indicator of school quality. I would suggest that many, if not most of the families that choose to pay a premium to live in the Woodson zone, are aware that test scores can be gamed, reflect demographics etc.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I am no advocate of using test scores as an indicator of school quality. I would suggest that many, if not most of the families that choose to pay a premium to live in the Woodson zone, are aware that test scores can be gamed, reflect demographics etc.
If so, what does that make them?

a. Irrational?
b. Racist/classist?
c. Both?

Old 06-16-2010, 05:32 PM

132 posts, read 324,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
You really have it in for them, don't you?

Most areas with high Asian populations in NoVA have 15-20 percent of them at most. That means they ARE mingling with the 80-85 percent non-Asians.

With your outlandish generalizations like "Asian't don't contribute to the community at large" and "maybe they don't like to mix with other ethnic groups," it's hard to escape the sense that you have not-so-subtle bias against them.

Is that why your persistently show up on any thread that has to do with "Asian" and drop these "observations" that are devoid of any evidence?
Exactly. By definition, being a minority you will have to mix with other ethnic groups. Maybe CAVA1990 ought to ask why there are so few whites in route 1 corridor of SE Fairfax. CAVA1990 has a deep resentment towards Asians which is very obvious to see in this board.

Old 06-16-2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novajs View Post
Exactly. By definition, being a minority you will have to mix with other ethnic groups. Maybe CAVA1990 ought to ask why there are so few whites in route 1 corridor of SE Fairfax. CAVA1990 has a deep resentment towards Asians which is very obvious to see in this board.
What, because I pointed out something that's widely recognized? Asians, particularly East/SE Asians are significantly under-represented overall in non-Asian civic and political organizations. You can look it up. There are a ton of articles on it and there are groups who are working to change that. Why are you in denial?

Old 06-16-2010, 06:15 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
What, because I pointed out something that's widely recognized? Asians, particularly East/SE Asians are significantly under-represented overall in non-Asian civic and political organizations. You can look it up. There are a ton of articles on it and there are groups who are working to change that. Why are you in denial?
I really miss the racial harmony in Northern VA.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:49 PM

It does seems somewhat strange to be accused of being anti-Asian by expressing disappointment that more of them don't live around me, go to the schools in my area, and aren't more involved in my county's civic affairs.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
It does seems somewhat strange to be accused of being anti-Asian by expressing disappointment that more of them don't live around me, go to the schools in my area, and aren't more involved in my county's civic affairs.
There is this little thing called freedom of choice. They have the right not to do those things and with that Rt. 1 area I don't blame them.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
There is this little thing called freedom of choice. They have the right not to do those things and with that Rt. 1 area I don't blame them.
Stick to the parkway man, no need to wade into the mean streets along Route 1.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:09 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,844 times
Since Asians can be Korean, Chinese, Vietnamese, Indian, Pakistani, Filipino, Cambodian, Japanese, and more, I have to say that Asians are distributed all over the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia