Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 01:41 PM

10 posts, read 65,709 times

Advertisements

Thanks for those very smart and kind words. I am looking forward to experiencing the whole DC area and making the most of it. I love living in new places, and am very proud of my husband for what he is doing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 12:14 PM

21 posts, read 73,074 times
Congrats on the move. The houses on Fort Belvoir are really nice and there is a great community there too. We have friends who live there who really love it. Do you guys have kids?

The area surrounding the post actually isn't bad at all. We are used to seeing a strip of trash shops, bars, strip clubs outside of a military post and that doesn't exist down at Belvoir. Good luck with the move

Old 10-15-2011, 11:32 AM

10 posts, read 22,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMYDACH View Post
The new housing area on Ft Belvoir looks really nice. I was on base a few months ago and was very surprised and impressed to see the change. I had not been on base for some time (military retiree spouse) and I couldn't believe what a difference. The new housing area and town center are very nice. It's about time the Army provided new housing for it's troops! I do not know about any older housing that remains on the base or what condition it is in. I personally would not consider living on Bolling or Andrews. The areas surrounding these are not as safe nor as good as in Virginia. If you cannot live on Ft Belvoir, I would suggest renting an apartment/townhouse in Kingstowne, which is not far from Ft Belvoir. It is a nice community (newer area with a lot of places to eat/shopping/large movie theater, and also has a branch of the Pentagon Credit Union). It is close to a Metro subway station, which your husband could take to the Pentagon easily. Living in the Kingstowne area would be convienent to Ft Belvoir for using the commissary and medical facilities. Your husband will receive an off-base housing allowance that will help cover the higher cost of renting in the Northern VA area.
I have to disagree regarding Kingstown. About fifteen or so years ago when it was first built I loved it there
to go shopping it has everything!..but I would not live there rent free as the whole place is built around
high voltage power lines, seen them shadowing house windows. Not a good place to raise children it's scary.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:49 PM

49 posts, read 77,771 times
Live on base. You need a ton o money to have fun off base around here. Your heating and cooling bills alone will be enough to make it worth it (assuming utilities still free on base). You also may find a much better sense of community in base housing than in low-end rentals around here.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:36 AM

798 posts, read 2,728,803 times
I agree with Belvoir being a better option for housing than Andrews or Bolling. I think the on base housing varies widely because some is extremely old and some brand new so I am not sure what you will end up with but, it will be more economical for you. If you want to check some rental options, I would suggest looking outside of the Telegraph gate (mostly zip code 22315 I believe) just to get an idea. Just down Telegraph in to Lorton might work for you also.
On your husband’s commute, they now have a bus that goes from Belvoir to the Franconia Springfield metro called the Eagle Express (Fairfax Connector 335). Also, your husband will be reimbursed for at least part of his commuting costs if he uses public transportation. The trip from the Franconia Springfield metro to the Pentagon is about 20 minutes or so. Here is a link to the metro trip planner to get an idea.. I don't know how much the bus ride to the metro will add though.

Metro - Home page

Also, Belvoir has a pretty good facebook page if you use fb

Fort Belvoir | Facebook

Welcome to the area and enjoy it, there are lots of free things to do in your spare time!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:09 PM

198 posts, read 358,304 times
The original post is three years old...I hope the OP has found housing by now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia