Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:27 AM

27 posts, read 150,438 times

Advertisements

Relocating to NoVa, and will be working in / and around DC/ beltway.

We are married with 2 y/o twin boys. So I pose the question to you...

Where would you buy a home < 550K, that allows a < 30 min commute, excellent schools, reasonable priced home. good community values, shopping, parks etc.

We will be visiting shortly, all comments are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 08:51 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,249,346 times
If you want recommendations on locations that will allow less than 30 minute commute you need to be more specific than "in/and around DC/beltway." This area is very big and your less than 30 minute commute is very dreamy considering your price range and other requirements.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:26 AM

because we haven't had the opportunity to visit yet - hence the request as I am not familar with towns yet. As for our price range, I dont want to be extermly far from the kids in case of an emergency as that is not dreamy it reality. So I guess what you are saying is that 550 is not doable in my criteria - thanks

Old 09-19-2008, 09:41 AM

870 posts, read 2,111,079 times
I guess the question from JfromReston isn't where you might want to live, but where the job offer office is. If it is located in DC, that will narrow things down. If you know Arlington, Alexandria, etc., that will also help people provide suggestions. If say, the office is just off the beltway around Annandale, there will be a lot more choices and options (though 30 minutes is very tough for any commute in this area).

Do you know, or can you find out, the city where your job is located?

Old 09-19-2008, 10:06 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,177,929 times
We had a similar thread here recently. Ideally, you and/or your spouse will be working outside the Beltway as that will begin to open up options in your preferred price and commute range. Traffic is a bear here and the cost of housing, while dropping, would still make it difficult to find a SFH in your price range in many of the most popular/convenient areas. My first instinct would be to recommend some communities out in Loudoun County like Ashburn, South Riding etc. but the commute would be the dealbreaker if you're working inside the Beltway or DC.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:09 AM

I wish it was that easy - The job will requires visiting my clients - ie: Winchester, DC/Capital Hill, Pentagon to Falls Church, Arlington/Alexandria, Reston/Chantilly to Quantico.

So our dilemma is - WHERE to raise the kids - be centrally located to go in any direction (OK OK maybe 45 min) and still live affordably. Sorry I cant provide more - Life as a consultant!

Old 09-19-2008, 10:15 AM

2,506 posts, read 3,408,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skcskc30 View Post
I wish it was that easy - The job will requires visiting my clients - ie: Winchester, DC/Capital Hill, Pentagon to Falls Church, Arlington/Alexandria, Reston/Chantilly to Quantico.

So our dilemma is - WHERE to raise the kids - be centrally located to go in any direction (OK OK maybe 45 min) and still live affordably. Sorry I cant provide more - Life as a consultant!
For $550,000 or less, you can find a very nice home with all the features you need in West Springfield, Burke and Fairfax. Those areas are well-located for your work, too. MetroBus and the Franconia-Springfield Metro stop serve these areas well.

We rent a nice home in West Springfield, and we like the neighborhoods and community atmosphere here. The schools in the West Springfield, Lake Braddock and Robinson high school pyramids are considered excellent.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:55 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,249,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skcskc30 View Post

Sounds like you are going to be doing A LOT of driving. There is no way you can find a place that is 30 minutes from that whole list - or even parts of it for under $550K. Get a map out and see how far it is from Winchester to Capital Hill or Chantilly to Quantico and figure if you are doing the drive in rush hour your commute in minutes will be about 2x the miles. Previous posters have good ideas on locations - Ashburn and West Springfield may be good places to start.

In Reston, which is pretty centrally located on your list, you will get a nice home that will probably need updating in a mature neighborhood on the south side of the toll road with good (but not excellent schools).

Here are a few of the Reston option in your price range.

View Property Details- 2503 CHARLESTOWN LN, RESTON, VA 20191

View Property Details- 11303 TAFFRAIL CT, RESTON, VA 20191

View Property Details- 2115 SALT KETTLE WAY, RESTON, VA 20191

Old 09-19-2008, 11:11 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,326,854 times
I think West Springfield, Burke would be good. If you were driving from there to Quantico or Winchester, those days you would be going against the majority of rush hour traffic.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:40 AM

282 posts, read 873,569 times
Hope you have a comfortable car. I also think West Springfield/Burke would be good. A little further north, there are parts of Annandale outside the Beltway and Fairfax (not City) that feed into Woodson HS. Obviously, the closer to the Beltway, the better for getting out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia