Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 01:49 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times

Advertisements

[quote=walkingnoelle;5349054]car54, I'm not a Texas or Florida resident. Never have been. I have changed my residency every time we've moved, according to the state laws. Currently I'm a Virginia resident and voter./QUOTE]

Mkay, that's pretty rare, but not unheard of....the military spouse claiming VA residency and paying a little token tax. Beats the heck out of paying out-of-state tuition at UVA!

I suspect your problem with Gatehouse II is that the School Board is 10-2 democrat....hence the "diverse and tolerant" remark. But even if the Board was Republican they could not run FCPS like it was Fairfax Christian School with Rush Limbaugh as Superintendant. Too many Federal laws would have to be broken. Remember, Virginia is the home of "massive resistance"

So vote the bums out next time....it might happen too....lotta folks out in West County are mighty POed about the recent redistricting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 02:16 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,556 times
Default Please stick to the topic.

[quote=car54;5349385]
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingnoelle View Post
car54, I'm not a Texas or Florida resident. Never have been. I have changed my residency every time we've moved, according to the state laws. Currently I'm a Virginia resident and voter./QUOTE]

Mkay, that's pretty rare, but not unheard of....the military spouse claiming VA residency and paying a little token tax. Beats the heck out of paying out-of-state tuition at UVA!

I suspect your problem with Gatehouse II is that the School Board is 10-2 democrat....hence the "diverse and tolerant" remark. But even if the Board was Republican they could not run FCPS like it was Fairfax Christian School with Rush Limbaugh as Superintendant. Too many Federal laws would have to be broken. Remember, Virginia is the home of "massive resistance"

So vote the bums out next time....it might happen too....lotta folks out in West County are mighty POed about the recent redistricting.
Thank you to the posters who contributed their knowledge of the school issues here.

car54--Please stick to the topic of the thread, and stop making incorrect speculations about me. All your assumptions so far have been wrong. You apparently harbor resentment toward military families. Please do not take your anger out on me.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:21 PM

[quote=walkingnoelle;5349706]
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

Thank you to the posters who contributed their knowledge of the school issues here.

car54--Please stick to the topic of the thread, and stop making incorrect speculations about me. All your assumptions so far have been wrong. You apparently harbor resentment toward military families. Please do not take your anger out on me.

Okay ma'am, fair enough. (it was the reps I got egging me on! LOL)

Back on topic! As a FCPS employee, I am all for Gatehouse II!!

As I mentioned, I drive a bus, but since this school year started, I have been recruited to teach a couple of courses during my mid-day break. So, I fairly regularly have occasion to go various admin offices. I appreciate that it will be centralized and not in dozens of buildings flung all over the County.

And really, $125M isn't that big a deal. Just look at the BILLIONS of our tax dollars Uncle Sam is spending on BRAC. Abandoning Crystal City for Ft Belvoir because it's easier to defend against terrorists. Phooey, if the finest fighting force on earth can't defend their own offices in Crystal City VIRGINIA (not Baghdad!)....then what good are they?

And the mind boggling developments of recent days in our financial system. This really has me worried....could be the end of our way of life if China decides our national credit card is maxed out.

Could come down to the proverbial "food and ammo" scenario. I'm glad I live on 2 level acres, own a tractor, and have plenty of ammo!

Old 09-20-2008, 07:45 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Let's get back to topic, please...

Old 09-20-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Let's get back to topic, please...
Oops, sorry Tone. I thought you were out of town....I'll behave!

Old 09-20-2008, 07:58 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
You never know when I'm watching...

Old 09-20-2008, 09:35 PM

148 posts, read 629,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Well, don't worry, when the college admissions officers see TJHSST on your kid's application the very LAST thing they will think of is "moldy trailers". And they won't have to look up TJ to see what kind of schiool it is. They know it's the best in the USA. (Both my sons attended)
Completely off topic but TJ parents might like this.

WSJ.com

Old 09-21-2008, 06:53 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You assume that money is being taken from schools. The article suggests that if the project is approved, funding would be arranged through the Economic Development Authority, not taken out of the school budget.
The School board could suggest that they allocate that money to the students, and reduce class sizes, eliminate some trailers, hire more teachers.

Of course the money could go to the school budget, to students, rather than administrators. Ultimately it ALL comes from taxpayers. It's all from the same pot, regardless of how they choose to label the source.

BTW, why are there 13,000 administrators for 7,500 teachers? why does the administration get bigger and bigger while teachers are cut and class sizes increased? Because the administration and school board care more about administrators than students. No reason not to care more about themselves than students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia