Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 12:36 PM

116 posts, read 427,804 times

Advertisements

We have a contract on our condo, and the home inspection is Friday. We are the seller, and I am assuming we aren't present at the inspection because I believe the buyers do that with the inspector and their agent. Our nanny usually hangs out at our place with the 2 children, but I am going to ask her to let the people in for the inspection then take the children to the park. Then the buyer's agent is going to have to call her cellphone or set a designated time for the nanny to come back home. Does this sound ok or should a homeowner be available in case they need to find the switches and things or is it ok for a homeowner to be accessible by cellphone? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I've never sold before, and we are in the odd position of doing FSBO because I put an ad in Craigslist, and it got an offer in a week.

Btw, my nanny is a law student in DC taking classes. She is originally from Florida. So she is capable of carrying out any instructions that she is given. I'm just adding this in case anyone thinks it might be an issue with language problems and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 12:52 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,522 times
I wouldn't be at the house during the inspection. Just let the realtor know to call you via cell if there are any questions.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:12 PM

206 posts, read 633,506 times
You can be home for this, but it's generally not recommended since some sellers get defensive in case an inspector has a poor opinion about something. Limit interaction with buyers.

For the most part, your realtor should be there to represent you.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:24 PM

116 posts, read 427,804 times
We don't have a realtor since we are doing for sale by owner. But I think we'll do as suggested and leave a phone number, but not be present since as you said, they will want to talk about us I'm sure.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:30 PM

206 posts, read 633,506 times
Or, you can just wait outside the condo down in the lobby while this happens.

The last thing you want to do is to jeopardize the sale of your condo based on any sort of misunderstanding.

A good step would have been for you to hire your own inspector to check out the condo first and then get those things fixed before putting it up for sale, and presenting this report to serious buyers.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:55 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,610,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smaug20000 View Post
We don't have a realtor since we are doing for sale by owner. But I think we'll do as suggested and leave a phone number, but not be present since as you said, they will want to talk about us I'm sure.
I'm talking about the buyer's realtor

Old 10-01-2008, 03:09 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
Usually neither the seller nor the seller's agent is present during the home inspection. The buyer's realtor will call you if they have any questions. If the buyer asks for any repairs, they must give you the part of the inspection report that refers to that need for repairs.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:22 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
I attended both inspections and I'm glad I did! When I was at the inspection for the house we were buying, the inspector thought the water heater was new, when in fact the data plate on the heater said it was 5 years old. Believe me....be there, it could save you alot of money.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:04 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
By all means, buyers should attend the home inspection. I think her original question was should the seller be there.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:04 AM

55 posts, read 165,171 times
When I was buying, I met my inspector there & followed her everywhere through the house. There were no agents there...seller or buyer.

Be available by phone if they have questions, but don't leave that task to the nanny, it's not her house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia