Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:27 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times

Advertisements

The Post will (or at least usually has) run special articles on where the best lit houses are, with addresses, descriptions, ratings, and some pictures. But it might be after the 14th by the time they do that. NoVa at least tends to take Xmas lights pretty seriously most years, but the economy might cut into it for some folks this year. We'll just have to see...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 01:57 PM

60 posts, read 118,733 times
Thumbs up Juniper Avenue in Sterling Rocks!

My family and I have been going to East Juniper Avenue in Sterling every Christmas since we moved to Sterling in 2003. Here's a cool link showing some of the light displays there:
Juniper Avenue is #15 on the list:

Hollys Tacky Christmas Lights in Fairfax County Virginia

Old 11-24-2008, 10:42 AM

32 posts, read 83,097 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The Post will (or at least usually has) run special articles on where the best lit houses are, with addresses, descriptions, ratings, and some pictures. But it might be after the 14th by the time they do that. NoVa at least tends to take Xmas lights pretty seriously most years, but the economy might cut into it for some folks this year. We'll just have to see...

Thanks, Saganista--That is exactly the information I was looking for--what fun!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:09 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Time to bump this thread from last year. The suggestions are all still good, although the dates for specific events are probably different this year.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:51 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Anyone know how much it costs to get into zoo lights? Or is it free? I've never been (as you can probably tell) but it looks like a fun way to stroll through the zoo.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:10 PM
k8p

141 posts, read 395,165 times
the house just down the road from me has a great display set to a radio station. Quite impressive and there is room to park on the side of the road. The house is on Collingwood Rd just about a mile west off of GW Pkwy.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:21 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,092 times
I took my kids over to Juniper Street in Sterling last night (in the pouring rain... babies + cabin fever = desperation) and there were three or four houses wonderfully decorated, and several more whose lights were up but just hadn't kicked on yet. We'll go back closer to Christmas, and we'll probably go to Bull Run for the first time ever too (but only on a weeknight!)

Old 12-03-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
I took my kids over to Juniper Street in Sterling last night (in the pouring rain... babies + cabin fever = desperation) and there were three or four houses wonderfully decorated, and several more whose lights were up but just hadn't kicked on yet. We'll go back closer to Christmas, and we'll probably go to Bull Run for the first time ever too (but only on a weeknight!)
I wish the houses in Brambleton did just a little bit more. With those beautiful porches, those are the kinds of places you really want to see in lights.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:01 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I wish the houses in Brambleton did just a little bit more. With those beautiful porches, those are the kinds of places you really want to see in lights.
Some do - it tends to cluster (decorating is infectious!) in certain areas. A lot of people go in for the tasteful white lights/window wreaths look, which is nice but boring (in my opinion). We have one of the more colorful displays (a mix of white, colored, blinking lights - plus inflatables, reindeer, and a nativity scene). Christmas is supposed to be festive.

There is a house that faces Belmont Ridge that used to put up a GIANT lit cross over their door, and they played music which synced with sections of the lights blinking on and off. Some people complained online that it was tacky, and even though a lot of other people voiced their support, I think they may have felt pressured to take it down. I'm all for whatever as long as it doesn't bother your immediate neighbors with excessive noise or lights shining in their bedrooms.

I also think some people are skittish about exterior decorations because we had a rash of lights-cutting, eggings, and vandalism a few years ago - our Frosty the Snowman inflatable was slashed, and the kids came back in broad daylight the next day to hit it again after we fixed it. It turned out to be some bored middle school boys who finally got caught while egging someone's house. We felt stupid calling the police, but they were logging all the reports and knew there was a ongoing problem. Since then, I haven't had any issues - in fact, this morning I noticed that one of my reindeer had fallen over in the rain last night, and by the time I was able to go outside, someone else had fixed it.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Some do - it tends to cluster (decorating is infectious!) in certain areas. A lot of people go in for the tasteful white lights/window wreaths look, which is nice but boring (in my opinion). We have one of the more colorful displays (a mix of white, colored, blinking lights - plus inflatables, reindeer, and a nativity scene). Christmas is supposed to be festive.
Hear hear! And I'll bet it looks great with all the snow falling on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia