Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 08:59 AM

17 posts, read 42,287 times

Advertisements

I believe that lower southern VA is more "southern" than NOVA. Nova, being so close to DC has a city feel to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 12:18 PM

158 posts, read 217,063 times
Wow. This thread will never die. You can start to sense the south when you get to Burke. Absolutely Fredricksburg is the south. Hell in Richmond you can still yahoos with Confederate flags on their trucks.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:21 PM

158 posts, read 217,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
This is nonsense. Clearly you don't know Richmond at all
What? Most native Richmonders have a southern accent.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:22 PM

46 posts, read 100,107 times
No way man!

Old 03-28-2014, 12:27 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,316,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianExec View Post
Wow. This thread will never die. You can start to sense the south when you get to Burke. Absolutely Fredricksburg is the south. Hell in Richmond you can still yahoos with Confederate flags on their trucks.
That doesn't mean too much. I've seen yahoos flying the Confederate flag outside their homes in Maryland.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:35 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,417,385 times
it's still in the southern atmosphere right along
with dc and maryland, but that's about it.
there are more than enough people who live
there from other places, so it depends on the
person i guess.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:27 PM

249 posts, read 399,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
I'm a DC native and I grew up in both DC and Northern Virginia, aInd I do consider myself Southern. There are many others that do as well.

I don't believe Maryland tries to downplay it, although certain people may.
The state song which was written during the war, and the various Confederate monuments in towns throughout the state (Rockville, Ellicott City, Easton, etc), the most impressive of which are in Baltimore, certainly do not hide the state's role in the Civil War.

Concerning the UPenn Phonological Atlas, I disagree with where it places the extent of Southern dialects within Maryland. The Virginia Piedmont dialect, the native dialect in most of Maryland does in fact reach just north of Baltimore. And the Baltimore variant of the Virginia Piedmont dialect, while it may share a few linguistic traits with Philadelphia, IS Southern: e.g. flattened vowels: long i before r in words like tire, the oi diphthong, etc

Also unique to the Virginia Piedmont dialect especially around Richmond and Washington, DC is the ou diphthong in words like house and about, which may sound slightly Canadian to those not familiar with local speech patterns.

The local Southern dialect is fading in the DC area, but that could have been argued decades ago. What many younger locals in the area speak today is a watered down version of "American Southern" and, of course, the majority probably have no perceptible "accent" at all. I'd venture to say that the dialect is much more widely spoken in parts of Montgomery, Howard and PG Counties and in Southern Maryland, than in Northern Virginia, which was certainly the case in the 90s, when I was growing up. I had friends who grew up in Greenbelt and spoke with a very strong "Southern accent," much stronger than mine.

NPR had a good discussion about 8 years ago on whether or not DC is still culturally Southern. I'd say it is, if it wasn't there wouldn't have been much of a discussion. So yeah, Maryland, DC, and Virginia are part of the South.

I'm from DC too and you are a bamma.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:44 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,095 times
The only meaningful divide in our country nowadays is urban versus rural--not North versus South. Atlanta and Dallas are a lot like here. I'd guess that Salem and Harrisonburg are a lot more like Monroe, La., and Macon, Ga., than they are anywhere within 50 miles of DC.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:44 PM

30 posts, read 31,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
The only meaningful divide in our country nowadays is urban versus rural--not North versus South. Atlanta and Dallas are a lot like here. I'd guess that Salem and Harrisonburg are a lot more like Monroe, La., and Macon, Ga., than they are anywhere within 50 miles of DC.
Residents of those areas might beg to differ when you lump small cities together as the same. ATL and DAL are full of northern transplants changing the character of these areas radically over the last few decades. About the only good thing the north has brought to the south is money and Sunday shopping. Everything else is additionally aggressive negativity and less civility.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 AM

8 posts, read 6,417 times
Northern Va is definitely not southern. However the rest of VA is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia