Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:08 PM

30 posts, read 46,566 times

Advertisements

Here's my "northern" opinion. I have visited the Reston/Herndon/Fairfax area and the Mt. Vernon area. I didn't notice any difference from the Chicago area. Headed down to some caverns and stopped in Front Royal for gas. Now that area... They were definitely more southern.

I'm sure people who were born and bred in NoVA are probably a little more southern (kind of like some true Floridians actually have southern accents), but there are so many people who move to that area from other parts of the country that it is hard to really recognize anything specifically southern. Once you get away from the economic centers, where not as many "outsiders" reside, then you notice the southern aspects a little more.

Now, having grown up in Northern IL, I've always considered Virginia part of the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 02:18 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,289,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepats1012 View Post
I'm sure people who were born and bred in NoVA are probably a little more southern (kind of like some true Floridians actually have southern accents), but there are so many people who move to that area from other parts of the country that it is hard to really recognize anything specifically southern. Once you get away from the economic centers, where not as many "outsiders" reside, then you notice the southern aspects a little more.
A lot of young people today in the South, particularly around the metro areas, don't have very noticeable Southern accents compared to their parents'. I think exposure to mass culture and people who've moved into their communities from other places is the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I should have said Baptist specifically. The reason I said Protestant initially is because people often point that out as a distinguishing feature of the Southeast (and conversely point out Maryland's history as a Catholic haven, which is ironic considering that you are now arguing that the presence of certain groups does not define a region). Just like I (and others) point out that certain demographics are a distinguishing feature of the Northeast. You pointed out that not all Northerners are Italian or Catholic, which is true. And I equally pointed out that not all southerners are Protestants (or more specifically Baptists), which is true. I don't know why you think that broad, general characterizations should apply to the South but not the Northeast.
From my readings of the history of the West and my own family's, the Protestants there were more heavily Midwestern Methodist than Southern Baptist.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 02-27-2013 at 02:36 AM..

Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 AM

32,151 posts, read 34,807,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
From my readings of the history of the West and my own family's, the Protestants there were more heavily Midwestern Methodist than Southern Baptist.
I wasn't talking about the West in that post. I was talking about the South.

Is there anything left to say in this discussion? My answer to the question, "Is NOVA (along with the general DC area) part of the South?" is no. My answer to the question, "Is NOVA part of the Northeast?" is no. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:45 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,585,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post

2. I dont think you realize the actual demographics of the "north east" It did not in the late 20th century have a majority of Catholics and Jews. I believe only Mass and Rhode Island had catholic majorities - NYS was close and with its Jewish minority has a non Protestant majority - but Vt, Maine, NH, Conn, NJ, Pa and delaware Im pretty sure all had protestant majorities. The congregational and Unitarian churches were culturally dominant in Massachusetts for hundreds of years, and were historically the carriers of New England culture.
NJ is probably protestant minority, especially if you exclude nonreligious people. Possibly with Conneticut as well.

USCCB - (Office of Media Relations) -Background - U.S. Catholic Population by State

If you just focus on the northeast corridor region (exclued western upstate NY, western PA, and northern New England) then the Protestant % would be much lower.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,289,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Is there anything left to say in this discussion? My answer to the question, "Is NOVA (along with the general DC area) part of the South?" is no. My answer to the question, "Is NOVA part of the Northeast?" is no. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
Sounds like we're in violent agreement. You can probably have the same argument about WV, KY, and MO. Perhaps we should be characterized now like they've long been, as a "border region".

Old 02-28-2013, 12:46 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,578,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Sounds like we're in violent agreement. You can probably have the same argument about WV, KY, and MO. Perhaps we should be characterized now like they've long been, as a "border region".

My original point was that its legitimate to call Greater Washington a notheastern metro area. I don't recall ever saying that NoVa was northeastern.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:51 PM

439 posts, read 853,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Um yeah. Not! Is this VASinger back again reminiscing about the 1800s again?

Oh the South... Always trying to claim stuff that they have no business claiming. The North saved Va, thankfully.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 12,804 times
In my opinion its according to what part of Virginia you live in. The S.W part near Tn/NC/KY- defiantly southern living! Of course we like ice tea -with a drop of 'shine, southern slang "ya-all" and 4 wheel drive trucks with hunting rifles and hound dogs.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,253 times
Having lived in Virginia my entire life and having been to nearly every county my state, I would say: If you were to draw an east-west line going through Springfield, VA, anywhere south of that is southern. The DC-metro area is a nice hybrid of northern and southern culture.

The most intense southern culture can be found in the lower half of the state, especially near Richmond where the plantation economy once dominated. The Southwest portion of the state is where you might find the strongest Appalachian accents and culture. Coal-mining and tobacco dominate the economy there.

Overall, my answer is yes. Especially considering we are the origin of country music (Bristol, VA) and were once the capital of the Confederate States of America. Driving around Virginia, you are bound to experience rich Confederate and Civil War history and still see that ol' Southern flag

Old 03-07-2014, 12:10 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,502,300 times
Overall, it's definitely southern. In my opinion, any state that was in the CSA will always be southern. Historically, VA was definitely southern and quite obviously a Confederate state. However, Virginia is an Upper South state, not Deep South like Mississippi, Georgia, etc. The areas south of I-64 are more southern than the areas to the north, cities like Danville, Martinsville, Farmville, Emporia, etc. feel much more like North Carolina cities. Roanoke also reminds me a little of Winston-Salem, NC. Virginia has stronger ties and similarities to North Carolina than the DC area/Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia