Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:57 AM

18 posts, read 69,229 times

Advertisements

I would say that Virginia, south of Fredericksburg can be considered southern. VA may be part of the historical south but culturally, modern day Northern VA has much more in common with North Eastern cities than it does with any place in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 AM

43 posts, read 155,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J_05 View Post
I would say that Virginia, south of Fredericksburg can be considered southern.
Or west of Leesburg in many regards.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:49 AM

542 posts, read 1,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
What I always loved about VA is that is was neither wholly Southern or Northern. It rather grabs some good qualities of nothern states and maintains the history of southern pride.
I wish Maryland was more like that. They seem to dilute their southern heritage as much as possible in favor of a more Northern one.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:51 AM

147 posts, read 410,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
I wish Maryland was more like that. They seem to dilute their southern heritage as much as possible in favor of a more Northern one.
Go to the Eastern Shore. I wouldn't say it's exactly "Southern" over there, but it's certainly not Northern.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:06 PM

I have. What I was trying to say is that the state of Maryland has a southern past to it. But by and large, they seem to ignore it, or relegate it to rural areas only. But I guess that's to be expected when two large metros, one being the capital of this nation, dominate a fairly small state.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:25 PM

147 posts, read 410,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
I have. What I was trying to say is that the state of Maryland has a southern past to it. But by and large, they seem to ignore it, or relegate it to rural areas only. But I guess that's to be expected when two large metros, one being the capital of this nation, dominate a fairly small state.
Location of the Mason-Dixon Line notwithstanding, Maryland has been divided on the north/south thing for a very long time. The yellow/black of the state flag is representative of the Union/North part of the state; the red/white represents the secessionist/South part. Those from the Eastern Shore fought for the South, while most of the rest of the state fought for the North (I don't claim to be a Civil War expert, but I believe this is essentially correct).

Old 01-18-2009, 12:44 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
To say there aren't some significant differences between the Appalachia portion of Virginia (and basically all of West Virginia) and the portion of Virginia east of the Blue Ridge Mountains is simplistic.
And when did I say that? I said there is a difference between WV/VA and OH/PA. Not only in accent, but self-identity, religion, ethnicity, etc. As one example, this is the Telsur dialect map from the Univ. of PA.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball View Post
Location of the Mason-Dixon Line notwithstanding, Maryland has been divided on the north/south thing for a very long time. The yellow/black of the state flag is representative of the Union/North part of the state; the red/white represents the secessionist/South part. Those from the Eastern Shore fought for the South, while most of the rest of the state fought for the North (I don't claim to be a Civil War expert, but I believe this is essentially correct).
Most of the state was divided, with Southern sympathizers strongest on the Shore and the southern region. The war had a tremendous impact on the state, but I think it goes beyond that. Either way, Southern pride is not confined exclusively to the Civil War or Confederate flags, and Maryland just seems to downplay that part of its heritage it as much as possible. But it shares history from both sides (North & South), which is just fine.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:06 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
And central and western Pennsylvania west of those mountains is quite different than eastern Pennsylvania; the same is true with eastern/southeastern portion of Ohio being distinctly different than the rest of Ohio. To say there aren't some significant differences between the Appalachia portion of Virginia (and basically all of West Virginia) and the portion of Virginia east of the Blue Ridge Mountains is simplistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
And when did I say that? I said there is a difference between WV/VA and OH/PA. Not only in accent, but self-identity, religion, ethnicity, etc.
This is what you said Bobilee:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
It's funny how lately (by lately, I mean the past few decades) people have tried to pry the Southern Highlands out of the South, calling it 'country' or 'rural'. There is no historical or geographical reason for it. West Virginia and Virginia are quite different from Ohio and Pennsylvania.
What I'm saying is the rural mountain (Appalachia) areas in ALL of the aforementioned states are different than the rest of their respective states and have a degree of similarity to one another. Areas in the northern Shenandoah Valley aren't really dramatically different than areas further north in the same valley in Pennsylvania (in some areas the locations are literally less than 1 hour apart). Many areas in West Virginia, especially the northern half of the state, aren't that different than western Pennsylvania or southeastern Ohio. That isn't to say the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia doesn't have some similarities to the areas in Virginia east of the Blue Ridge Mountains, but there are also some differences along with the similarities.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:50 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,475 times
I grouped the two Virginias against OH/PA. I made no remarks about differences between WV/VA. In the broader view, speech, history, religion and self-identity OH/PA and WV/VA are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia