Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 AM

280 posts, read 1,042,677 times

Advertisements

I think of Virginia as the south.
Not DC though.
I'm from Vermont, which tends to have a liberal definition of south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 08:07 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,494,744 times
Well, if you go by civil war loyalties, then yes Virginia is part of the south. But by that same token, you could also still consider california part of Mexico but I digress

Old 11-18-2008, 08:10 AM

542 posts, read 1,500,320 times
My point exactly.

Nobody knows what "Southern" is so they go by Civil War status or how rural an area is or how "friendly" people are or what accent they have. Nothing but stereotypes.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 AM

8,636 posts, read 9,150,939 times
Virginia, simply put, is not a northern State. I agree it is a mid-Atlantic State but a member of the south. If you don't agree, visit those in Fredericksburg and points south and argue with them. Heck, you could have a blast in the northern parts with many in Manassas and or Woodbridge or in the northwest with many from Winchester. Have fun!

Last edited by jmking; 11-18-2008 at 10:28 AM..

Old 11-18-2008, 10:48 AM

834 posts, read 2,280,281 times
Virginia while technically is a southern state, it's more of a grey area IMO. Which makes sense. I mean, I live outside of Richmond and it takes me 3 1/2-4 hours to make it to the NJ state line. While, if I visit family in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, it takes me more like 12-14 hours.

The weather and climate of VA is closer to the climate of NJ than it is most of the south. I know the first year I moved here I checked the weather in my hometown in NJ against VA weather and it was no more than 5 degrees warmer in VA on most days in the winter. It does get hotter and more muggy in the summer in VA and that is when it feels more southern.

It's funny because my northern relatives absolutely consider VA to be the south.
My southern relatives and inlaws are sprinkled around Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Tennesse and they do NOT consider VA the south. The only part they will agree is the south is the southwestern part of VA by the Tennessee state line. My inlaws were just visiting here from Florida and commenting about everything from the weather, the architechture of the homes, the types of plants, the drivers, the roads and constantly saying "up north" when referring to VA.

It does make sense that as one gets closer to the mason-dixon line, it is going to become less southern. I call VA "southern light". I like living in VA. I could never, ever, ever live in the deep south again.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 AM

218 posts, read 547,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yes. It is below the Mason-Dixon line and was the centerpiece of Lee's Army during the Civil War. The "Army of Northern Virginia".
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
It's a mid Atlantic State, south of the Mason Dixon. A State of Southern persuasion as you travel south in Virginia. And as Pilot stated "Yes. It is below the Mason-Dixon line and was the centerpiece of Lee's Army during the Civil War. The "Army of Northern Virginia".

I agree by technicality but I would never consider myself a southerner....Im much too fast paced for a typical southerner!!!!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:42 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,510,614 times
When I lived up North I thought VA was so Southern but after I moved here I found out it is almost like home.

I think it starts getting Southern around Fredericksburg - people become friendlier, service is slower, accents pop up, people drink Sweet Tea and ask if they can borrow your "ink pen"

Old 11-19-2008, 01:02 PM

542 posts, read 1,500,320 times
I had a friend from Spotsylvania who'd say otherwise. Fredericksburg is a smaller, historic, Tidewater city. And across the river is full of battlefields, so of course you're gonna get that "Southern" feeling. But the people from Spotsylvania don't seem all that "Southern" to me. Rural in parts, yes. But "Southern", no.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:54 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,779,199 times
The part of Virginia i grew up in (Hampton/Norfolk) yes i do consider Southern.

Alexandria and the rest of NoVA Southern? No way.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:51 PM

56 posts, read 111,852 times
100 %, NOVA is still clinging to those old native roots that made it a memorable place in the past.

Unfortunately my race never had the fullest opportunity to enjoy it becuase of the state's narrow-mindness but I will not go on a tangent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia