Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 01:08 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,534,709 times

Advertisements

It is a shame that charities and political organizations are allowed to call even when you are on the "Do Not Call List" - it is a shame that they are allowed to terrorize old people - I would look them up and call them - or - get a big very loud blowhorn to blow into the phone when they call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 03:09 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,430,589 times
Thanks again to all who responded.My parents have a caller ID machine. In fact, they've gone thru several. They used to use it but now that both have failing eyesight they claim the LED screens are too difficult to read. I've also gotten them several. They don't like them.The Rents are also registered on the Do Not Call list. However, as 5Stones points out, charities are free to ignore the list and do. They seem to aggressively target older people. I knew one older person who paid out huge amounts to charities - they told her that the suggested payment slips they sent were bills that she owed. Some "charitable organizations" spend as little as 3 percent of recieved funds for legitimate charitable purposes.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:54 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,430,589 times
POSTSCRIPT:

My Dad wants to thank everyone for their advice too. He did use his caller ID to record the number and will file a complaint with the Attorney General. I googled the number: 800-641-6027. It turns out that this is a notorious telemarketer boiler room that "represents" scores of charities. However, only around 6% of the money they get goes to the charity - the rest of it goes to the boiler room.

There are hundreds of complaints about them on the Internet. Their standard modus operandi is to claim (falsely) that someone made a pledge and they inundate the unlucky recipient with dozens of calls that escalate more and more unpleasantly. Senior citizens are their preferred victims as well as any unfortunates that ever sent them money.

So, it pays to carefully check the credentials of telemarketing charities before sending any money, especially this one.

Last edited by ersatz; 12-09-2008 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-10-2008, 06:53 AM

871 posts, read 2,119,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
POSTSCRIPT:

So, it pays to carefully check the credentials of telemarketing charities before sending any money, especially this one.
Ersatz,

Thanks for the update. As someone who worked for a small non-profit in fundraising for 5 years, I would go further on this one and say do not ever donate via telemarketing charity. Very few telemarketing agencies pass more than pennies on the "supported" charity, if there is an actual charity at all.

It would be a far better use of your money to send a donation directly to the charity or cause you support. Don't fall for the guilt trips ("But don't you support widows and children of fallen police officers?"), but do give generously to the causes you support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia