Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 07:49 PM

8,994 posts, read 21,226,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
To the OP - if Vienna itself is too far a commute for you, you may consider somewhere in between, like Centreville (just an example). Vienna Metro has a lot of parking, so its an easy shot if you want to go into Arlington or DC on a weekend (or week night for that matter). And you'd still have a reverse commute to work.

I am a bit surprised at all the people suggesting living in Manassas though, given the preferences you indicated. I don't know a whole lot about the area, but I was under the impression it was more a "family oriented" suburban type area than a place with a lot of young professionals. And its way out there in terms of distance from the city.
Centreville is a good idea, maybe even Chantilly as well.

I don't think that anyone would necessarily think of Manassas as a bustling metropolis but I was reminded earlier in this thread that the Old Town section has a decent amount of nightlife.
Dining in Historic Old Town Manassas - Restaurants, Cafes, Taverns, Coffee, Deli
Fairfax City may be a bit better but any further commute could have diminishing returns on the ability to actually enjoy the neighborhood during the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,206,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Centreville is a good idea, maybe even Chantilly as well.

I don't think that anyone would necessarily think of Manassas as a bustling metropolis but I was reminded earlier in this thread that the Old Town section has a decent amount of nightlife.
Dining in Historic Old Town Manassas - Restaurants, Cafes, Taverns, Coffee, Deli
Fairfax City may be a bit better but any further commute could have diminishing returns on the ability to actually enjoy the neighborhood during the week.
Yeah, I'm not debating that Old Town Manassas has options... I'm just wondering about the age of the crowd, given that the OP is a recent college grad. Best advice to him though is to make the trip and check some of these areas out!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:52 AM

84 posts, read 276,469 times
I used to live in Fairfax, near Fair Oaks Mall, and commuted to Manassas. It took me 15 to 20 minutes each morning and evening. My job was closer to 66 than Lockheed Martin, so you might want to tack on an extra 5 minutes, say 20 to 25 minutes. You're going against rush hour, so the worst traffic you'll face will be on Sudley Road, but it's not bad at all in the direction you are headed. It was a very nice commute, and it didn't even feel like rush hour, unless I looked over to the other side of the highway!

In Fairfax, you're about a 10 minute ride from the metro station in Vienna, and there are lots of GMU students around, so you'll be around some young people.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 AM

488 posts, read 1,749,873 times
Centreville is actually a very good option, but its not quite recent grad area.

I mean you want recent grad area - head over to Clarendon in Arlington, but commute from there to Manassas is nuts.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:47 AM

595 posts, read 2,312,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
Bitter at all? You do realize some people prefer an urban lifestyle to a whitebread suburb, right? You seem to be getting awful personal in your post.
20110 is only 67% White.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,206,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
20110 is only 67% White.
The term "whitebread suburb" as I meant it does not necessarily mean white people, it means your standard suburban fare, far outside the city.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:29 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,346,865 times
also depends on the last census, y2k was the last one right?

Old 01-18-2009, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 10,195 times
Thanks everyone for all your advice, I really appreciate it. I need to go over some things and visit the area and then I'll be in a better position to make a decision.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:54 AM

25 posts, read 95,555 times
Wink also depends on the last census, y2k was the last one right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
also depends on the last census, y2k was the last one right?
I am sure the percentage is incorrect. From what I was told is that there was ship loads of illegas who entered into the Manassas, Manassas City, Manassas Park area starting between 8 - 10 years ago. It seems more like 50 % white...Maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia